• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

am2 cpu pricecuts!

Caporegime
Hyper said:
I am a bit of an AMD Fanboy hence why I will not be changing to conroe but this is not my only reason. I have an opteron 146 @ 2.8ghz on stock volts and until this cant run something or bottlenecks something that is when I will upgrade. Obviously there is people who enjoy having the best of the best and these are mainly the people who are selling there opty 170 's to go to conroe. Feel free to waste money, it dont fuss me :D

I sold my opty for 250 so the upgrade to conroe has not cost the earth.
I sold it at the right time imo,while i could still get top dollar for it.

So I havent wasted money and my conroe at 3.6ghz flattens it lol :D

Soldato
I need to upgrade my cpu and videocard but will get a 939 cpu at moment don't really want to upgrade to a new mb,cpu and ram and videocard.
When prices drop i get a new 939 cpu and card.

Associate
Hyper said:
I am a bit of an AMD Fanboy hence why I will not be changing to conroe but this is not my only reason. I have an opteron 146 @ 2.8ghz on stock volts and until this cant run something or bottlenecks something that is when I will upgrade. Obviously there is people who enjoy having the best of the best and these are mainly the people who are selling there opty 170 's to go to conroe. Feel free to waste money, it dont fuss me :D

Its not wasting money at all...

If you sell the 170 now you can still get about £230 for it.

If you sell everything on your current machine now then the conroe upgrade (unless you have a really bad computer) effectly only works out as maybe £200 or £300. Thats a pretty damn cheap upgrade for a mega performance boost!

*Laughs at the stubborn AMD fanboys*

Soldato
I don't know why peeps aint happy about this, amd getting its butt kicked means they goto reduce prices, i for one will deffo be taking a cheap amd x2 when they come down.

Associate
Jabbs said:
I don't know why peeps aint happy about this, amd getting its butt kicked means they goto reduce prices, i for one will deffo be taking a cheap amd x2 when they come down.

I'm with you on that one Jabbs. If I went the Conroe route I'd need a new mobo and new RAM, on top of the expense of the CPU itself.

Picking up a cheaper AMD x2 and just putting it in my existing system makes sense to me. No need for a fresh install of XP either :)

Soldato
harris1986 said:
lol what is your current mobo? and as a far as who needs conroe i really think you should look into these cpu's a little closer to realise just who needs them ;) conroe is set to dominate the market and crush every comparative Amd cpu!
Utter rubbish. Intel and AMD's relative market share won't change more than a few percent at the most.

Soldato
Digital Punk said:
:eek: OMFG!!!

(Goes off to trawl interweb)
If you wait a little they will be that price or lower everywhere. Obviously some sites will lower prices on them early so you think your getting a good deal, i fell for that one when ocuk had a grand 6800gt sale a week before pricedrops on them.

Associate
Vertigo1 said:
Utter rubbish. Intel and AMD's relative market share won't change more than a few percent at the most.

Finally someone with some sense. A lot of people on these forums seem to think enthusiasts/overclockers make up 100% of the market. In reality, it's the other way round. Most people who know very little about computers still think Pentiums are the "best" (ask your dad or uncle and I'm sure they will mention Pentium). Conroe will take years of marketing before it even gets the a reputation similar to Pentium. And AMD certainly are not doomed.

Soldato
Explicit said:
Finally someone with some sense. A lot of people on these forums seem to think enthusiasts/overclockers make up 100% of the market.
Exactly. The amount of Intel "fan-boy-ism" on this forum lately is getting ridiculous. I know both Intel and AMD have their zealots but the Intel camp always seem to shout the loudest and now they have a new processor worth shouting about they're going ballistic.

Associate
Vertigo1 said:
Exactly. The amount of Intel "fan-boy-ism" on this forum lately is getting ridiculous. I know both Intel and AMD have their zealots but the Intel camp always seem to shout the loudest and now they have a new processor worth shouting about they're going ballistic.

lol I see your point.

I'm in the middle when it comes to AMD/Intel. As stange as it may seem I like both of them. :D

Associate
Super Tigers said:
just seen x2 3800 oem for £123inc vat and free post from a competitor, one hell of a great deal.

Rob H

Yep OEM x2 3800 Soc939 now available for £123.61 to be exact :) including VAT and delivered free. 50+ in stock last time i checked

Soldato
Explicit said:
lol I see your point.

I'm in the middle when it comes to AMD/Intel. As stange as it may seem I like both of them. :D
I have no particular brand loyalty either. I go for whatever offers me the best bang-for-buck at the time.

Caporegime
Vertigo1 said:

AMD have always dominated the enthusiast domain.
This is changing...

I loved my AMD opty 170 and have both intel systems in the past.
Now my conroe system flattens my previous opty dualcore system running at 2.8ghz

This is no "fan-boy-ism" in fact the people who justify AMD at the moment are the fanboys and are reluctant to admit the conroe is a faster cpu in everything it does.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The OP asked "Who needs Conroe?"

The answer is very few people.

What most ordinary people use their PCs for would be amply served by a PIII with 256Mb RAM (hell, I just gave my dad my old Northwood rig to replace his PII - he had never complained about it, as all he ever does is check his e-mails, buy DVDs online and type letters etc. The only thing he did say it was a bit slow at was when working with his photos but he only did that occasionally.)

There are very very few people who actually need a Conroe. Quite a few people want one (hell, I want one myself).

This sort of thread reminds me of when my kids were little - "Dad, I need Smarties."
"No darling, you want Smarties, you don't need them." :p

If your current PC serves the purpose for which it is required, you don't need to replace it with a Conroe. If you have the money to buy most of a new system then by all means do so (I know I will) but don't criticise people who say that replacing a perfectly good PC with one who's resources you will never stress is not necessary.

Stan :)

Soldato
The thing i have to keep telling myself is my current cpu won't get a any slower as a result of conroe, its still fast enough for what i do. Doesn't stop me wanting a conroe tho...

Caporegime
Bigstan said:
The OP asked "Who needs Conroe?"

The answer is very few people

That applies to everything consumer-ish. How do you think humans survived 2000 years ago.

OT...by my calculations, you Big Stan have averaged 74 posts per day since you joined in April 04! Surely you can't have 60k+ posts!!!

Back
Top Bottom