Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Associate
I have a friend who is disabled to the point where he is now unable, for instance, to turn his iPhone on.

I've been looking at the Amazon Echo which would clearly be of use to him generally, but I'm a bit confused as to just what it is capable of doing phone wise.
My understanding is that you can download the Echo App onto the iPhone and sync the contacts to the Echo.
You can then ask Alexa to call someone by name or number.

But:
Does the recipient also need to have an Echo device? (I may be getting confused here with Amazon's VOIP and messaging service)
And once connected do you conduct the call over the Echo device?

And how are incoming calls received and handled?
Would he be able to instruct Alexa to 'pick up'?

Apologies if some of this is basic but I need to get it right!

I see that Echo Connect is due to be available any time soon in the UK which connects to the landline.
Does anyone know if this will also use the contacts synced from the iPhone or another list?

Thanks.

Soldato
You can only call people with echo devices as well,if you sync his contacts it will show on the Alexa app who has a echo device but only if they have sync there contacts to the Alexa app.

Caporegime
From recollection the other user needs to have an echo.

Incoming calls come onto the phone and the echo device, so you can either answer with the phone or through the echo device by saying answer call, or answer drop-in if it's a drop in call I think

Other people with the Alexa app can call other users from it as well I believe.

Associate
I'd wish to - but sadly have'nt got one - but have heard great reports/write up's on them

If they match these though - who knows!

Soldato
Brilliant offer on at the moment. Fire TV Stick and Echo Dot for £60

That's a saving of £30 over buying them separately . I only bought a TV Stick last week but tempted to return it and buy this deal just for the extra dot!
That's a good deal.
If I didn't have 3 echos and 2 fire TV boxes I would have snapped that up.

Soldato
Yeah you need the premium spotify for that.

The cheapest option is probably the Amazon Music "Echo subscription". Think it's £3.99.

For anyone thats taken the above. Is that £3.99 all in, or do you need one per device?
That's for a single device only, multiple devices you may as well get the £7.99 Amazon Music Unlimited

Soldato
Yeah you need the premium spotify for that.

The cheapest option is probably the Amazon Music "Echo subscription". Think it's £3.99.

For anyone thats taken the above. Is that £3.99 all in, or do you need one per device?

That's for a single device only, multiple devices you may as well get the £7.99 Amazon Music Unlimited

Thanks guys.
My new Google home works ok with it :)

Soldato
What other £3.99 plan gives you that range of music, ad free, to be used on multiple devices and platforms?

It's a cut price plan for people who only want to listen to music on their single Echo so they're not paying £7.99, potentially to a competitor, for features they don't need.

Associate
I don’t even have the £3.99 one because the free stuff with prime is fine, I just always thought it was a “echo only licence” on the £3.99 plan so you could have it on your Echos, not just one.

Associate
I don't have one, but a guy I work with took 6 echo dots back because he had too many. They were on offer so he bought loads. Now he only has 9 in his house...

Jesus what does he use them for?
I don’t use mine as much now I bought the magnetic wall mountable remotes for my Hue lights

Associate
Jesus what does he use them for?
I don’t use mine as much now I bought the magnetic wall mountable remotes for my Hue lights
Controlling Sonos and hue lights. He has a dot in every room. He keeps showing off on his phone how to change the hue on the lights in his house, forgetting it's actually making his whole house light up and change colour. Once while he was out and had a babysitter. She didn't know what the hell was going on.

Back
Top Bottom