US: Amazon Pilots - Which have you watched?

Associate
Just wondered if any of you guys have taken the time to watch any of the current spring pilots on Amazon Prime?

Only two myself: -

Oasis - Starring: Richard Madden, Anil Kapoor, Antje Traue

aLyDg7v.jpg

Set in the near future, Oasis tells the story of priest Peter Leigh, who is called to a remote planet where a mysterious multinational company is building the first permanent off-Earth human colony. The planet, Oasis, is humanity’s last chance to escape from Earth’s impending collapse, but it quickly becomes apparent that it may not be as hospitable to humanity as it seems…

Wasn't sure what to expect, or how good the production would be, but was rather surprised and a strong beginning. Once the plot takes place in the colony the interest was there to find out more, with the characters already shaping well. Certainly hope it's not left there and something tells me it'll be given at least a season run, if not more, clearly if well written it has the potential to run for a good number of seasons.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Starring: Rachel Brosnahan, Michael Zegen, Alex Borstein

n9JaiO5.jpg

It’s 1958 Manhattan and Miriam “Midge” Maisel has everything she’s ever wanted — the perfect husband, kids, and Upper West Side apartment. But when her life suddenly takes a turn and Midge must start over, she discovers a previously unknown talent - one that will take her all the way from the comedy clubs of Greenwich Village to a spot on Johnny Carson’s couch. From the creator of Gilmore Girls.

Thought I'd give it a go having seen Rachel Brosnahan starring in Manhattan.

Refreshing, light hearted, upbeat and witty, although I thought it was going to tank around 20 minutes or so in, as it hadn't really grabbed me. I'm glad I stuck with it as I felt it got much, much better as it neared the end where I felt the character of Midge came into her own and certainly left me wanting to see more.

A refreshing thing about this one was that it wasn't your usual cop show, legal drama or superhero/marvel show.

Both great pilots and hope they get given a chance, guess time will tell. The others don't appeal to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've watched Oasis. This has lots of potential and I hope it gets the vote. Found it very enjoyable to watch, the exoplanet was shown very well and the acting was good.

Man of Honour
Oasis I have mixed feelings - its a strong first episode but they could have worked a bit more on some of the characters and the story seems to be heading in a direction that has been done many many times before and isn't that interesting once you seen that story unfold already - I'm aware of, but not read, what it is adapted from but I hope they manage to do something interesting with it even if it means going off source material somewhat (which I think has been borrowed from a lot by other movies/shows).

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Oasis has that knock-off British TV feel. Scandinavian-like mystery show, but in space, where the "space"element is on a tight budget - three dunes and a buggy. It's literally "Fortitude" in space.

Soldato
Watched Oasis last night, bit of a slow burner but kept me interested throughout, given feedback for Oasis, hopefully Amazon green light it.

Felt like a GOT reunion in parts and it's weird seeing the actress who plays the Dr not in her Vod role from Fresh Meat.

Associate
I liked Oasis, but it feels like one of those shows where they need to have a predetermined story and tell it, and bow out. Feels like one of those ones that'll be dead as soon as they actually explain WTF is going on, but will try to keep going.

Back
Top Bottom