AMD : 5950X : Overclocking & Asus Dark Hero

Associate
Morning folks,

Der8auer did a YouTube video called "Overclocking AMD Ryzen just became INSANE".

For those of you who understand overclocking a lot more than I do, and are Dark Hero owners and perhaps watched this video, I think I noticed something odd in his BIOS settings with his RAM.

He sets his DDR4 Ram (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4000Mhz : CL18), but leaves his FCLK at Auto.

To my inexperienced eye, that means he is not going to hit the 1:1 ratio of memory/Infinity Fabric is he ?

So I wonder then, why would he do that ? I doubt it's an oversight, as he's a very experienced overclocker.

Is this Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4000Mhz memory no good then ? I was about to purchase some, but I'm having second thoughts.

Or is Zen 3 not capable of it yet ? Or is it the mobo ? Would a bios update fix that ?

I have no idea what a 1:1 sync will achieve in terms of performance and if it's even worth it if and when it does come ? Is it really that big a deal ? How big a deal precisely ?

I'm new to AMD, and my parts are all arriving bit by bit (Preordered my Dark Hero elsewhere, ready for late Jan) and I want to make sure I get the best memory I can, ready for things further down the line. (I'll be using a 5900X, as opposed to a 5950X in his video, but the bios and the settings are the same I guess)

Any thoughts would be most appreciated, thank you.

Associate
I’ve no detailed knowledge on this I’m afraid but I’m in the same boat as you so thought I’d post in here as a reminder for the future when I get my components. I too am due a Dark Hero board from presumably the same place in January.

I’ve gone with 4GHz 32Gb RAM, Corsair LPX, 4x8 sticks. Will also be getting a 5900X when they are available for a reasonable price (hoping January).

Soldato
Morning folks,

Der8auer did a YouTube video called "Overclocking AMD Ryzen just became INSANE".

For those of you who understand overclocking a lot more than I do, and are Dark Hero owners and perhaps watched this video, I think I noticed something odd in his BIOS settings with his RAM.

He sets his DDR4 Ram (Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4000Mhz : CL18), but leaves his FCLK at Auto.

To my inexperienced eye, that means he is not going to hit the 1:1 ratio of memory/Infinity Fabric is he ?

So I wonder then, why would he do that ? I doubt it's an oversight, as he's a very experienced overclocker.

Is this Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 4000Mhz memory no good then ? I was about to purchase some, but I'm having second thoughts.

Or is Zen 3 not capable of it yet ? Or is it the mobo ? Would a bios update fix that ?

I have no idea what a 1:1 sync will achieve in terms of performance and if it's even worth it if and when it does come ? Is it really that big a deal ? How big a deal precisely ?

I'm new to AMD, and my parts are all arriving bit by bit (Preordered my Dark Hero elsewhere, ready for late Jan) and I want to make sure I get the best memory I can, ready for things further down the line. (I'll be using a 5900X, as opposed to a 5950X in his video, but the bios and the settings are the same I guess)

Any thoughts would be most appreciated, thank you.

I heard that for Zen 3 they changed the way AUTO works. If you leave FCLK on Auto it will maintain 1:1 ratio with RAM, so you don't need to manually set it anymore, just leave Auto and overclock the RAM and test

Associate
I heard that for Zen 3 they changed the way AUTO works. If you leave FCLK on Auto it will maintain 1:1 ratio with RAM, so you don't need to manually set it anymore, just leave Auto and overclock the RAM and test
It really depends on your motherboard (and/or bios revision) I think. On my Aqua X570 when I first had my 3950X Auto used to pick up the 1800Mhz for a 3600Mhz kit straight away. After a bios revision it stopped working, and I had to manually set the FCLK to 1800. Next bios revision made it even worse in that it stopped working again, and I now had to also manually set the SOC Uncore voltage away from auto.
On the latest revision I still have to manually set the FCLK to 1800Mhz but the auto voltage works at least, although with Asrock it defaults to 1.2V as soon as you enable XMP. So I manually set it 1.1V anyway and it seems to work fine.

Associate
I have a 5900x, 4000mhz memory and Dark hero.

If I turn on XMP and leave the rest as auto fclk runs at 1600mhz.
I can manually set to 2000mhz but I get Whea errors in windows.
Hopefully new bios updates will sort that.

Back
Top Bottom