• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD about to overtake Intel in the DIY market?

Permabanned
Pentium 90
Pentium 3 450
Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
AthlonXP 2800+
AMD 64 3200+
AMD 64 x2 3800+
Q6600
I7-2700K
I7-7700HQ
I9-9880H
For me... (and think I'm missing one around the 1GHz era...)

Looking forward to Zen 3...

intel 386
intel 486
pentium
pentium MMX
Pentium 2
Pentium 3
Athlon
Duron
Sempron
Pentium 4
Athlon 64 FX
Phenom II (quadcore)
now Ryzen

I don't know. But probably I am NOT looking forward to Zen 3 but rather real next-gen with all the goods like DDR5, new socket AM5, PCIe 5 for superior storage performance.
And of course, more cores, the more the better the happier the merrier :)

Soldato
i would love more cores and faster single thread, bigger better is always good.

I am amazed how efficient the newer CPUs are tho. i became real power concious since P4 and FX and subsequently Phenom was a hot CPU if i remembered right. but been wathing the wattage since 4770k for around the same power drawing the ryzen is a 6c/12t part basically around 2x more performances (synthetic benchmarks) wiht the same power. it is good....

Soldato
I don't know. But probably I am NOT looking forward to Zen 3 but rather real next-gen with all the goods like DDR5, new socket AM5, PCIe 5 for superior storage performance.
And of course, more cores, the more the better the happier the merrier :)

Anyone jumping straight into DDR5 on release must need their brain tested. Every single change of DDR has resulted in complete rubbish Ram for a year or so and very expensive rubbish Ram as well.

Permabanned
Anyone jumping straight into DDR5 on release must need their brain tested. Every single change of DDR has resulted in complete rubbish Ram for a year or so and very expensive rubbish Ram as well.

Zen 4 with Raphael DDR5 will come later than Zen 3 with Rembrandt. Now go check your head :)

Soldato
That's why I will be dropping a 5700X in my B450 and sitting tight for a couple of years.

Soldato
After building my 7700k/GTX1080 build I kind of fell of the components scene. Finally come back as the 3080 generational performance increase seems very appetising. Catching up with 3-4yrs of news and I was surprised how much AMD is being touted everywhere even though I still see Intel cpus topping FPS benchmarks!?
Baffling isn’t it. Similar boat to you and equally perplexed by the love for the 3600 which gaming wise barely outperforms my 4 year old 7700k

Soldato
Who bought a pentium 4 and not an athlon 64 because they had 3ghz and up? Me :(

Well they were still fast, not great value for money in comparison but no slouch. I avoided the original P4 as i read a few mags and Williamette was a pig and even though some of the later variants especially Northwood (i had a couple) were excellent it always had that stigma. Then A64 came along and it was all about that until Conroe came along. Didn't think it'd take AMD over a decade to recover!

Associate
It sure looks that way

1uscwn42b0p51.png

Oh, it has happen already.

Associate
Well they were still fast, not great value for money in comparison but no slouch. I avoided the original P4 as i read a few mags and Williamette was a pig and even though some of the later variants especially Northwood (i had a couple) were excellent it always had that stigma. Then A64 came along and it was all about that until Conroe came along. Didn't think it'd take AMD over a decade to recover!

I had a 3.4 Ghz P4 Prescott CPU, ran hotter than a furnace from hell. Every 3 months I had to re-apply the thermal paste, because it got all burnt out, and would shut-down. One of the few times I owned an Intel CPU was when they had their crappiest.

Soldato
I had a 3.4 Ghz P4 Prescott CPU, ran hotter than a furnace from hell. Every 3 months I had to re-apply the thermal paste, because it got all burnt out, and would shut-down. One of the few times I owned an Intel CPU was when they had their crappiest.

I had a 3.4Ghz Prescott socket 478 that killed 2 mediocre boards by power consumption and general heating of the area i suppose. Terrible chips lol. I think even the best of 478 probably would struggle with those.

Soldato
I had a 3.4Ghz Prescott socket 478 that killed 2 mediocre boards by power consumption and general heating of the area i suppose. Terrible chips lol. I think even the best of 478 probably would struggle with those.
My 3.2GHz Prescott is the same. Fortunately I didn't cheap out and got a beastly Gigabyte board to handle it but it's still a bit scary temp-wise when she gets pushed.

Soldato
My 3.2GHz Prescott is the same. Fortunately I didn't cheap out and got a beastly Gigabyte board to handle it but it's still a bit scary temp-wise when she gets pushed.
Mine lived in an Asus P4P800 to the end i think and did ok, got a CT479 adapter for the board and dropped in a Pentium M 2Ghz, good lord how it performed and even more so when i dropped in a massive 50gb Vertex LE SSD a bit later :D

Back
Top Bottom