• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Soldato
Intel are definitely in panic mode at the moment, as shown by their little pressers after AMD's horizon event and before the event and the new I9 they are showing off, i just dont think they have anything to answer Epyc and Zen 2 lol....

Caporegime
Lol you're not the only one, didn't quite realise the hate for him until I saw it on OcUK :p.

Can understand why some might find him annoying but spent years watching LTT and quite enjoy it, particularly the other staff and the stupid things they get up to.

Associate
Lol you're not the only one, didn't quite realise the hate for him until I saw it on OcUK :p.

Can understand why some might find him annoying but spent years watching LTT and quite enjoy it, particularly the other staff and the stupid things they get up to.

I don't really hate him, as I only watched couple of his videos, and I decided he is not worth my time. The content might be worth it if he lost the overdramatisation, but this is not only his issue, that the whole youtube market these days. Clickbaits and drama :)

Associate
AMD EPYC Rome 64 Core CPU and Intel Cascade Lake-AP 48 Core Xeon CPUs Benchmarks Leaked in 2S Configuration – 96 Cores/192 Threads Versus 128 Cores/256 Threads https://wccftech.com/amd-epyc-rome-64-core-and-intel-cascade-lake-ap-48-core-cpu-benchmark-leak/

I do not believe current cinebench scene takes advantage of so many threads. Completion time of under 5 seconds can attest to that, because I think most of that time benchmark spent splitting work to so many threads. More complex scene needs to be developed.

Soldato
The EPYC will run at ~180 Watts, the Intel offering is a 24c/48t Cascade Lake AP which, from here: https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38-5M-Cache-2-50-GHz- will run in the order of 400W(x2 Intel chips glued on a package ;) ). As there is no new node that I know of, at the moment, so the best they can hope for is a refinement of 14nm or better binning of the parts - but they are already top of the line current gen chips.

Intel are screwed for a couple of years at best.

Soldato
OP
What I find interesting is that the Intel Cascade Lake 48-core CPU's are supposed to have no Hyper-threading due to package temperature constraints, so that leak certainly seems to be odd, possibly from a very early sample of the part which had it included. So if they re-run the test on production silicon it would be 96 threads vs. 256. :)

Soldato
What I find interesting is that the Intel Cascade Lake 48-core CPU's are supposed to have no Hyper-threading due to package temperature constraints, so that leak certainly seems to be odd, possibly from a very early sample of the part which had it included. So if they re-run the test on production silicon it would be 96 threads vs. 256. :)

Also those Rome numbers are apparently a couple months old too so expect a few silicon tweaks. That Cascade Lake is gonna get battered, poor thing.

Soldato

I quite like him. But I also watch Level 1 Tech who are kind of the anti-Linus as well. Their channel intro video is 90% cringe, 10% hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom