• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Man of Honour
Will definitely be looking at EPYC HP boxes for any new projects.

I recon you could do a lot worse. The dual socket DL385 g10's that I have are cheap really, I mean 12k inc per box with 64 threads, 192gb of ram and a spare socket with massive space for future upgrades seems a really good deal to me. That's 36k for 96 cores / 192 threads with 3 sockets spare and with the ability to scale out to TB's of memory and up to 384 cores / 768 threads in those same 6 sockets. The performance is there as well and you can mix up some higher clocked parts for stuff that is sensitive to that if you need it. All in all its a decent proposition.

Man of Honour
HPE ProLiant DL325 Gen10 - rack-mountable - EPYC 7402P 2.8 GHz - 64 GB
Mfg.Part: P16696-B21

Can get these for around $2k at the moment :D

But it's a baby server :eek: you don't want baby server you want man size server with space for many shiny things!! :cool::D I didn't even look at the single sockets as i'm going with the 10 year plan while trying to stick within the essentials plus vmware licensing model. I'm thinking add some Milan into the mix when they come out and have a server with one or two of them in it while scaling out on memory when necessary.

Soldato
But it's a baby server :eek: you don't want baby server you want man size server with space for many shiny things!! :cool::D I didn't even look at the single sockets as i'm going with the 10 year plan while trying to stick within the essentials plus vmware licensing model. I'm thinking add some Milan into the mix when they come out and have a server with one or two of them in it while scaling out on memory when necessary.

:D

Only need two boxes to run something for about a year, these fall nicely within budget even when loaded up with HD.

Man of Honour
@ChrisD. - Can you help me with ESXI? I configured host cache for a host using some flash. It seems to have had an adverse effect on backup times in veeam for machines connected to that host. I want to remove host flash - How on gods green earth do you do this?

This is the menu im talking about:

For the life of me I can't work out how to remove it or turn it off and vmware kb articles are useless.

Soldato
Looks like I might finally get my hands on some EPYC kit.

Think we are going with a dual EPYC 7452 HP DL385 G10 for a little project, 64 core 128 thread, 256GB RAM and over 14TB 15k SAS storage in 2U, yes please :D

Man of Honour

Think we are going with a dual EPYC 7452 HP DL385 G10 for a little project, 64 core 128 thread, 256GB RAM and over 14TB 15k SAS storage in 2U, yes please :D
Same cpus and servers as me. Awesome is what they are!!

Man of Honour

Why 15K drives? Spinning rust has had its day IMO.

Man of Honour
Sorry, I meant after you've changed it to 0.

I fixed it in the end btw! I decided that all flash storage has to go until I can get the flash into and as part of the array. It had massive negative impacts on vmotion and other stuff and was just not worth it. Never got any real performance benefits over my FC connected arrays and tested every scenario where I felt it could have increased performance, clearly host flash was not intended for the likes of me where the machines have no internal storage only an sd card.

Man of Honour
Any news on Zen3 EPYC?

Milan? Nope, literally nothing in the channel to suggests that it is close. Also I will probably be able to procure some pre production test chips when the time comes so will possibly be able to source them early again. There is certainly room in my estate for a couple of highly clocked bits of Milan Silicon :)

Back
Top Bottom