• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Barcelona Core

Associate
So what's the deal on these new chips?

I have heard and read speculation that they will trounce the Core 2 Duo, not sure how true that will turn out to be though as intel does have a quality chip :)

Anyway...is this gonna be 2 cores on one die or 4? lol or even both flavours?

Also as I am thinking of upgrading my mobo, cpu, ram and HDD towards the end of this year will these new cores be out by then? Any ideas guys? :)

Associate
Barcelona will come out on skt F in august
agena quad core for dektops will come out in sept on skt am2
Kuma is the dual core version for dektops will come out around sept

Associate
OP
and does anyone know why these will be so much different form current dual core CPU's?

Architecture, manufacture process, power consumption?

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
still not enought to beat core 2 duo;s but may close the gap a bit.

oh for goodness sake, don't go there, everywhere i look i see the exact same cryptic comment about a future products demise before anyone knows absolutely anything about it, so lets just leave performance 'unknown' for now until theres some real conclusive evidence to the contrary

Soldato
Gashman said:
oh for goodness sake, don't go there, everywhere i look i see the exact same cryptic comment about a future products demise before anyone knows absolutely anything about it, so lets just leave performance 'unknown' for now until theres some real conclusive evidence to the contrary

Agreed. Unless one works for AMD then any performance prediction is worth snot.

Associate
yes no one can see into the future!

and any core 2 fanboi's "assuming" aint gonna help anyone!

i for one do hope amd hit back with a excellent chip that out does the core 2 duo

because if it doesnt it could be the end of amd and the intel fanboys will be paying twice-three times as much for there chips and have much slower development!

so they should be hoping amd bring out a stonking chip!

Soldato
I for one am an amd fanboy, but didn't see sence in NOT upgrading to c2d, thus why i have a c2d... but i really hope that amd stonk the c2d, although my bank ballance wont :rolleyes:

Soldato
Little doubt in my mind that it'll oust the Conroe. The question is whether it will be on-par with Intel's 45nm products arriving at the end of the summer...

Also this will be a server and high-end part to begin with as AMD simply doesn't have the production capacity.

Soldato
sajtion said:
who cares about performance when core 2 duo sounds better anyway
:confused:

I'll be following Barcelona with interest. Depending on the price/performance ratio (including overclocking ability) I may be tempted to upgrade to one.

Back
Top Bottom