• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FX-8320 3.5mhz- What temps?

Associate
What temp should I expect during idle on this cpu?

I've just built the system so ran some stress tests and the temp. quickly went up to 62c. I read that this really is the max. it should be run at.

I have a very good cooler attached but wondered if it wasn't sat perfectly/thermal compound wasn't good enough.

Associate
OP
Zalman CNPS9900-MAX

Seems like a really good cooler so I wonder if it isn't seated properly, more likely the thermal compound though as it screwed down really well. Pain if I have to remove it and re-apply the compound! lol.

What's the best software to check cpu temp? I'm using CPUID HWMonitor right now

Associate
Zalman CNPS9900-MAX

Seems like a really good cooler so I wonder if it isn't seated properly, more likely the thermal compound though as it screwed down really well. Pain if I have to remove it and re-apply the compound! lol.

What's the best software to check cpu temp? I'm using CPUID HWMonitor right now

hw monitor is the best for core temps imo

what did you run to stress cpu?

these chips run really hot m8 sorry to be bearer of bad news but on air they will hit 62 pretty easy

whats the system gonna be used for?

edit

i had that cooler on my 8350 in beginning @ 4ghz and it failed to keep it cool

also what case cooling do you have more details about rig required pls

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Using HeavyLoad to stress the CPU.

System is going to be used for gaming mainly. I'll need to pay closer attention to fans with this one I guess :)

Associate
Using HeavyLoad to stress the CPU.

System is going to be used for gaming mainly. I'll need to pay closer attention to fans with this one I guess :)

ok then use aida 64 to stress cpu most programs like prime and intel burn test push cpu to hard for gaming use aida 64 it simulates gaming temps more m8

also look at official 83x0 thread in cpu section its my thread loads of great guys and a lot of info on there to help you out :)

feel free to ask questions were all glad to help you out

overclocking is a pain stick with it the benifits are worth it :D

Associate
OP
Corsair Obsidian 350D. I'm still working on the setup so sides off right now. I'll put a few more fans in soon before I finish up.

Soldato
Corsair Obsidian 350D. I'm still working on the setup so sides off right now. I'll put a few more fans in soon before I finish up.

Erm wait. Isn't that an MATX case?

So that means you bought a MATX motherboard, none of which can run a 8320 even at stock speed. I suspect the temps you are seeing are the VRMs and I would expect throttling even at stock speeds.

What board did you buy?

Soldato
I've got the same CPU with a CM 912s and my idle temps in under 10c. Running a small OC as I haven't had the time to OC the pants off it. With BF4 running for an hour with all sliders turned up it don't break 35c. Whereabouts my 965BE got so hot it rebooted the PC.

I'll run HeavyLoad now and report back to see what I get in temps

Associate
OP
Mobo is Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX and details as supporting AM3+ FX.

3.5mhz is the stock speed.

Soldato
Mobo is Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 AMD Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX and details as supporting AM3+ FX.

3.5mhz is the stock speed.

It may well say it supports it but the VRMs will have been designed for Phenom 2.

Seriously, stress it and watch your clock speeds. If the board had VRM coolers then you would get away with it. But sadly it doesn't, so them VRMs are going to be frying tonight.

3.5ghz would be the stock speed.

Associate
OP
OK, removed the heatsink, cleaned up and applied some decent thermal paste (supplied wasn't very good I don't think)

Heavy load is now reading 41c where it was 65-70c before!

Soldato
OK, removed the heatsink, cleaned up and applied some decent thermal paste (supplied wasn't very good I don't think)

Heavy load is now reading 41c where it was 65-70c before!

It's not the CPU you need to worry about mate. Run a stress test and keep CPUID open. Keep running it, watching your CPU speed.....

The board won't fry it'll just throttle to 1.8ghz.

Back
Top Bottom