• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD have bought ATI

Soldato
Hmm, so it looks like it's gonna happen then (subject to shareholder and regulatory approval).

I wonder how this bodes for people looking to get Conroe and ATI card(s) (like me) ? If this goes through presumably ATI would be pushing "AMD-accelerated" cards.

Where does this leave Nvidia?

Soldato
Durzel said:
Hmm, so it looks like it's gonna happen then (subject to shareholder and regulatory approval).

I wonder how this bodes for people looking to get Conroe and ATI card(s) (like me) ? If this goes through presumably ATI would be pushing "AMD-accelerated" cards.

Where does this leave Nvidia?

Thats the same thing I'm thinking. :(

AMD and ATI

THIS is interesting as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Durzel said:
Seriously doubt they would do something this stupid: Nvidia are ahead in market share at the moment, so if AMD were building CPUs that worked better with Ati cards they'd be driving a lot of diehard Nvidia fanboys to migrate to Intel platforms completely. Not to mention that any way I can think of in which they could do something like that (secret extensions to 3DNow! that only Ati knows about for instance?) could be construed as monopolistic. Remember the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit? They were forced to reveal the Windows soure code for exactly the same reason.

Soldato
manveruppd said:
Seriously doubt they would do something this stupid: Nvidia are ahead in market share at the moment, so if AMD were building CPUs that worked better with Ati cards they'd be driving a lot of diehard Nvidia fanboys to migrate to Intel platforms completely. Not to mention that any way I can think of in which they could do something like that (secret extensions to 3DNow! that only Ati knows about for instance?) could be construed as monopolistic. Remember the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit? They were forced to reveal the Windows soure code for exactly the same reason.
I don't think AMD would build CPUs that "worked better" with ATI cards, but I do think ATI are likely to tout "AMD accelerated" cards in the future, otherwise what is really that point of the partnership?

Don't think the Microsoft anti-trust lawsuit really applies because Microsoft have a total monopoly on the desktop and therefore any application they attempt to integrate into the Windows platform will instantly be viewed as anti-competitive (i.e. leveraging off their dominance). It isn't the same with AMD, Intel, ATI and Nvidia - if nothing else because of the fact you have a choice. If AMD and ATI brought out "AMD accelerated" graphics cards then you could simply choose not to buy them and go with Nvidia instead. You can't say the same for Windows.

Associate
A main reason could also be mobile solutions; amd and ati have huge power management ideas, and combine this into laptops with good chipsets/graphics and you have a killer lappy. Intel has most the share in laptops, so amd want some!

Fabs is also a consideration, as why not hit 2 birds with one stone?

I can see something like nvidia's "the way it should be played" kinda thing, where amd/ati are optimised, but that won't mean amd/nvidia won't work. I hope ati just develop chipsets more with amd so we have a choice between nvidia and ati with graphics AND chipsets. I wouldn't like for it to be if you choose an ati chipset, you have to have an ati GPU, but it's starting to look that way with sli/xfire etc

Soldato
Interesting development:

1: Nvidia are going to go out of their way to co-operate with Intel now on SLI compatible chipsets/drivers.

2: ATI will probably lose Xfire capability on future Intel chipsets as Intel have just announced they will not be renewing ATIs licence for Xfire.

3: AMD will probably lose future Nvidia SLI capability as no way will NV pass up a chance to screw ATI further into the ground.

4: Expect an Intel/Nvidia partnership in the near future.

5: All Intel need to do is create a dual universal PCI-E x 16 driver which works with either SLI or Xfire regardless of gfx drivers to screw 2 of the 3 parties up.

Associate
AWPC said:
2: ATI will probably lose Xfire capability on future Intel chipsets as Intel have just announced they will not be renewing ATIs licence for Xfire.
Link for this? According to the Inquirer article quoted above, Intel have simply not renewed Ati's lisence to manufacture chipsets for Intel motherboards and the only reason Ati chipsets rather than Intel chipsets were being used on those boards was because Intel couldn't meet the demand alone.

Soldato
:p

AMDATI-dave-hector.jpg

Soldato
manveruppd said:

i doubt it, the enthusiast market especially will follow the company with greatest performance, if that means AMDs next-gen processor and ATIs next-gen GPU so be it. good thing for the market IMO, im sure this will give intel and nvidia something to think about, since if ATI start using mid-range GPUs on there motherboards then it would be cheaper and more efficient to go AMD/ATI rather than intel/whoever for the the mainstream user, who doesn't mind intergrated graphics :)

Back
Top Bottom