• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD-INTEL WAR

Soldato
OP
leon4112 said:
lol ive bought amd for the past 5 pcs ive build but no way are amd outselling intel!! they are the biggest pc corp outside from microsoft every major pc builder uses them dell,pb,hp etc etc u think how many pcs dell sell a year compared to amd systems u gotta remeber people buying parts only makes up a very small % of sales!!!

Thought we covered that point about 10 posts back :D

Soldato
taz488 said:
jokester i think you think your god and know everything. this guy has a good point and at the minute amd are still beating intel in sales whatever you blame it on. you quite obviously an intel fanboy, stop being so serious and intel biased.

I wish I had my own god, then I could smite everyone that trolls or flames :D

Soldato
taz488 said:
jokester i think you think your god and know everything. this guy has a good point and at the minute amd are still beating intel in sales whatever you blame it on. you quite obviously an intel fanboy, stop being so serious and intel biased.

Troll :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are some of us out there who support the best chip. at the moment it happens to be Intel with Conroe, a year back I was championing AMD.

Jokester has had both Intel and AMD and has a lot of overclocking experience.

... but he is scottish, so he is let down on that part :p ;)

Associate
couldnt have put it better m8
i started off with intels back with the P2 then the 550E flipchip was the then king of oclocking :D then i shifted over to AMD with the TBirds and old pencil trick right upto the XP era which i still run on my 3rd PC
my current rig is a 3.2Ghz prescot (rubbish heat output in this weather) and i also have an 805 chip which ive yet to put into a system
however i also plan to get an E6600 for my main rig

its swings and roundabouts, a lot of people will flip flop between AMD and Intel

afaik AMD are strong in the server market but intels woodcrest performance levels could see a shift back to intel

its easier for the home user to shift between the two but for large companies running 1000's of pcs its a different story :p

Caporegime
Was waiting before this thread became the intel v amd fanboy nonsense.

I have the best at the time

Last month I had a opty 170 @2.8ghz and a DFI expert.

This month I don't simply because conroe flattens it in everything it does.

When AMD release a chip that is significantly faster,or can be overclocked to provide a massive boost then I will go AMD until then conroe owns.This is not fanboyism this is fact.

Pure and Simple.

Soldato
taz488 said:
They're not though... AMD are not outselling Intel in any market. Whether it's desktop, mobile or servers. I don't know where you got the information of otherwise but it isn't true.

Soldato
What you also have to remember, is that the 'overclocking' enthusiast market makes up only a tiny fraction of the overall cpu market. Therefore the FX and Extreme range play very little in overall sales, and its more about the price/performance ratio of the midrange cpu's at stock speeds that is important. At the moment Conroe is very new and hasn't sold much stock, but just wait until people like Dell etc get their hands on them.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Quite frankly AMD have had to slash prices and IMO are in a bit of trouble with the conroe 6300 at around 130 quid.

when overclocked this cpu beats AMD's FX 62 for goodness sake!

lol

thing about that quote is, you can overclock a hell of a lot of X2 chips to beat the FX-62, 2.8Ghz isn't that insurmountable, heck my 3200+ 'venice' is running at that speed, don't want to sound like im being picky or anything by the way but people use that as a benchmark all the time 'it beats the FX-62' when who on earth would by FX and extreme models when you can clock lower CPUs to there speed? :confused:

Caporegime
Gashman said:
thing about that quote is, you can overclock a hell of a lot of X2 chips to beat the FX-62, 2.8Ghz isn't that insurmountable, heck my 3200+ 'venice' is running at that speed, don't want to sound like im being picky or anything by the way but people use that as a benchmark all the time 'it beats the FX-62' when who on earth would by FX and extreme models when you can clock lower CPUs to there speed? :confused:

No you can't..

I don't see a 4400 do 3ghz on air?

its not being picky mate...FX 62 speeds is so slow and old hat. I'm afraid I have just come from an opty 170 @ FX 62 speeds and my conroe thrashes it.

Any Amd x 2 clocked to 2.8ghz and 3ghz at a push will be wiped out by a 125 quid 6300 running the same speed.

simply a conroe @2.8ghz batters and FX 62 to bits.....

Thats why people make the comparison ;)

Soldato
OP
The one and only reason for my original post was the fact that around the net it appears to me the Conroe E6300 has better availibility than the say 3800X2 and people are not selling out quickly.. this Supprised me!

I have no imformation about Intels or AMD's World sales and incorrectly assumed readers here would realise I was refering to our small PC modding community only.

Seems only a couple of people understood my ramblings, now I'm quite happy to take the blame for a poorly written thread header but as always I think many people seem to skip over the seemingly irrelevant bits
:)

Caporegime
Digital Punk said:
Slow??? LMFAO!!! :D

Dont see many FX 62's getting clocked to 3.6-4ghz mate.

My old opty 170 @ 2.8ghz did 1mb PI in 26 seconds

that is slow.

now my conroe @ 3.6ghz does it in 14 seconds

@ stock 2.4ghz my conroe is faster.But no one gets a conroe to run @stock lol :D

The FX 62 is slow by comparison and does not have the overclocking headroom of a 125 quid chip that when overclocked can outpace it by a considerable margin.

Soldato
easyrider said:
Dont see many FX 62's getting clocked to 3.6-4ghz mate.

My old opty 170 @ 2.8ghz did 1mb PI in 26 seconds

that is slow.

now my conroe @ 3.6ghz does it in 14 seconds

@ stock 2.4ghz my conroe is faster.But no one gets a conroe to run @stock lol :D

The FX 62 is slow by comparison and does not have the overclocking headroom of a 125 quid chip that when overclocked can outpace it by a considerable margin.

I think the point he is making is "FX62 IS NOT SLOW"

Just because something new comes out does not make older cpus slow.It just means that there is now something quicker out.

I went from a Opty 146 @ 3GHZ to a Opty 165 @2.8GHZ,followed by a Venice 3000 when i dropped the Opty 165.Never noticed any physical improvement in my life due to time saved by SUPER PI running quicker,Sorry :D

CSS plays exactly the same,BF2 also.Being as those 2 games are what i mostly play i will be sticking with what i have for a while.

Very interested to see how these 6300's go though.As they seem to be amazing "Bang for Buck"

Back
Top Bottom