• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD-INTEL WAR

Associate
And what does all this uber power actually do for you beside enlarge your e-penis?

People seem to be getting rabid about super pi scores??? :confused:

Sorry, but i still don't regard an FX-62 as being a slow cpu and I don't think the thousands of people buying cut price AMD's would either.

Caporegime
CS||nuTs said:
I think the point he is making is "FX62 IS NOT SLOW""
Yup it is :D

Just because something new comes out does not make older cpus slow.It just means that there is now something quicker out."

Yes it does,Thats like saying just because a new gfx card comes out doesn't make the previous gen slower...Of course it does.Expectations change and the level of performance is seen as higher.|This is the nature of pc hardware technology.

I went from a Opty 146 @ 3GHZ to a Opty 165 @2.8GHZ,followed by a Venice 3000 when i dropped the Opty 165.Never noticed any physical improvement in my life due to time saved by SUPER PI running quicker,Sorry :D"

You would if you did video encoding/editing/sound creation and used your system as a workstation rather than a gaming pc etc..that would utilise both cores.After getting my opty 170 My mates opty 146 @ 3ghz was painfully slow doing similar tasks.

CSS plays exactly the same,BF2 also.Being as those 2 games are what i mostly play i will be sticking with what i have for a while."

Games at the moment don't really utilse both cores.If you don't notice then thats fine.I do and can only make observations based on my previous system and now my current system.

My old opty 170 system was slow compared to the rig I have now. :D not by a bit but by a massive ammount.

Soldato
Oh dont get me wrong,im not slating the Conroe[would be pointless being as its such a good cpu] Im just saying that everything else does not become obsolete over night because it has been released.

Caporegime
Digital Punk said:
And what does all this uber power actually do for you beside enlarge your e-penis?"

Its not about that.Its about more speed at stuff that I do.photoshop.video.music etc.

People seem to be getting rabid about super pi scores??? :confused:

Sorry, but i still don't regard an FX-62 as being a slow cpu and I don't think the thousands of people buying cut price AMD's would either.

I used the super PI as an example.Many do other stuff with their pc's with video etc.I'm not knocking getting a s939 x 2 3800 for 110 quid if you already have a s939 mobo.

But to buy one on AM2 if getting a new system is barmy.You might aswell get a 6300 clock it and beat a FX 62 for a 7th of the price.

Soldato
You could say anything more then an athlon was a waste of time really, no game has ever required more then that to run properly

Heres the best graph Ive seen recently, it actually shows some point to conroe for games. Mainly because its a RTS with lots of AI

12738yk8.png

The fx is still not slow by any means

Soldato
thing about super-pi is its number crunching, it shows the potential arithmetic abilities of a CPU, thats why conroe does it so fast, its a new architecture and heck is the fastest thing you can buy at the moment, though not much takes advantage of its speed or dual core. for example in gaming there is negligable or no difference between FX-62 or FX-57, thats what i was on about easy, dual core don't have many benefits at the moment, barring encoding, rendered, etc over single core, there just more futureproof and when dual-core programs become more popular they'll stamp on single cores, but until then single core is just as good really. intel do have a real winner, they got more IPC than AMD and then got there processor to clock like a crazy man on speed, when AMD switch the 65 nano might we see athlons at 3.5Ghz? :confused:

Caporegime
CS||nuTs said:
Oh dont get me wrong,im not slating the Conroe[would be pointless being as its such a good cpu] Im just saying that everything else does not become obsolete over night because it has been released.

I know.

I was more than happy with my opty 170 rig.But everyone likes more speed.We all do.

I'm glad i got rid of the opty when I did.I got good money for it, took a gamble, was without a pc for 3 weeks but managed to sell at the right time making my upgrade very cheap for the performance gain with conroe.

I shuddered the other day thinking to myself,If i hadn't sold the opty when I did i would have lost hundreds due to the price slash of AMD.

4400's going in MM for 150 quid :eek:

You are right,

everything else does not become obsolete over night because it has been released.

But it makes them worthless in financial terms 3500's going for 40 quid etc...
Ouch!

Associate
easyrider said:
But to buy one on AM2 if getting a new system is barmy.You might aswell get a 6300 clock it and beat a FX 62 for a 7th of the price.
Yes, I agree. On a brand new system Conroe would be the way to go. (If you can get one :mad: )

easyrider said:
Its not about that.Its about more speed at stuff that I do.photoshop.video.music etc.
So how much quicker are these tasks in the real world.? Just a few minutes or does Conroe wipe hours off the time? Just curious.

And FX-62 is still NOT slow! :D

Soldato
silversurfer said:
You could say anything more then an athlon was a waste of time really, no game has ever required more then that to run properly

Heres the best graph Ive seen recently, it actually shows some point to conroe for games. Mainly because its a RTS with lots of AI

12738yk8.png

The fx is still not slow by any means

well you'll notice the presler extreme still gets over 60FPS, which is the maximum amount the human eye can sample in the average person, so you don't really need conroe if it offers no improvement for example in that game barring more FPS you can't notice, but notice the FX is miles below all conroes barring the E6300, so easy is right, they do absolutely own the FX

Edit: ordered X2 3800+ and going watercooling in not so long so that should get me by until 65nm AMDs and cheaper intel chips :)

Soldato
Conroe is excellent at number crunching, anything that is not limit by something else in this area conroe will kick ass.

Quick SuperPi = quick Photoshop/3D rendering/encoding/Folding etc

So thats why Im getting one :D

Edit: FX-62 is SLOW for the price tag, because something £500 cheaper beats it. Its not slow, but it is for the price if you see what I mean :p

Soldato
Gashman said:
well you'll notice the presler extreme still gets over 60FPS, which is the maximum amount the human eye can sample in the average person, so you don't really need conroe if it offers no improvement for example in that game barring more FPS you can't notice, but notice the FX is miles below all conroes barring the E6300, so easy is right, they do absolutely own the FX

Edit: ordered X2 3800+ and going watercooling in not so long so that should get me by until 65nm AMDs and cheaper intel chips :)
Remember that's the average FPS being recorded... The most important figure for a game's human-eye perceived performance is the "minimum FPS". As soon as the FPS drops well below 60 the eye notices and the mind doesn't like it. Probably the threshold on that chart of where the minimum FPS is not an issue is the E6600 and upwards.

Associate
does anyone think that DFI will make a lanparty edition of a conroe mobo any time soon? i know there are far better motherboards to spent your money on then a lanparty but i really want something sexy as well as fast for my next build and it looks like the limited choice of motherboards is going to be the deciding factor on my build.

i'm going to admit that i AM an AMD fanboy but i am really tempted by the conroe chips and i would love to have one but not only am i a little scared to switch to intell (all the comps at worl are intell and god awful coupled with the fear of the unknown and the risks of diving into new and untested technology) i'm also note sure about suposrt... how are these things going to react to the next generation SLi or crossfire setups?

and bang for buck is conroe really worth it compared to a 939 or AM2 setup?

also, now that AMD have releaced the AM2 cores compatable with DDR2 ram, anyone know if there's any planse on making a next generation of 2-way 4-way or even 8-way opterons DDR2 compatable? surely it cant be that hard for them as they dont use on chip memory controlers (i think i got that right i've had quite a big to drink)

Back
Top Bottom