• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well looking at the two threads AMD is certainly winning the race for most toxic fan boys
By that same token sticking you hand in a hornet's nest and shake it because you dont like them in there and getting stung a few times is also unwise. But I'm sure as a defensive you will call them toxic as well.
:D

And I totally bought my PS4 because it has AMD graphics.
You shouldn't try to proclaim Nvidia, defend nvidia, excuse nvidia in an AMD thread.
Then try to proclaim neutrality.

Caporegime
Nvidia WILL WIN, there is no doubt about that.

Nvidia will win because they want it more than AMD, no matter how good RDNA2 is Nvidia will make sure they better it, they will create a massive GPU clocked to high heaven.. whatever it takes to say "We win"

And idiots like JayZ2Cents will blame AMD for Nvidia's $2000 GPU and in some sense they are not wrong.
But that ignores the fact that Nvidia make Nvidia's decisions, not AMD, if you're going to criticize AMD for not competing which results in Nvidia prices then Nvidia will just keep doing what they do.

AMD could have made a 2080TI 5800XT if they wanted to, a 60 CU Navi 10 would have done it. They chose not to because they don't have the wafer supply to keep a larger GPU like that on the market.
This is where Nvidia are quite right while AMD are quite wrong, i get that AMD couldn't actually keep a 60 CU Navi card stocked but so what? Make it, send it to reviewers and just make a few thousand of them over the life of the card, just to get on the bar charts for the mindshare, this is what Intel have been doing for years and no one seems to care.

While Nvidia will win the fastest GPU kudos IMO RDNA2 GPU's will be very good and very competitive, they will force Nvidia to pull out all the stops to get ahead and you will see that in the line-up, AMD will be back on form and they will take back some of Nvidia mindshare and market share.

Associate
You shouldn't try to proclaim Nvidia, defend nvidia, excuse nvidia in an AMD thread.
Then try to proclaim neutrality.

I'm not 'excusing' anything, just trying to point out a bit of the red/green fanboism at play - nvidia are clearly evil in here, and 'tricks' that they pull to 'cheat' better results don't count, regardless of the end result. And it's now a 'crutch' nvidia rely on to prop up their failing graphics cards.... which AMD can't actually outcompete in the current generation regardless of DLSS. I dunno, it's a real mental gymnastics class in here....

Associate
The reality is that Nvidia have created their own problems rather than be threatened by a better quality or faster product from AMD. If we haven't of had the huge price hike and the botched QA on the 2000 series and we hadn't of heard about Nvidia screwing up their access to TSMC's 7nm, we would be looking at Ampere running on 7nm and at reasonable price.

Caporegime
I'm not 'excusing' anything, just trying to point out a bit of the red/green fanboism at play - nvidia are clearly evil in here, and 'tricks' that they pull to 'cheat' better results don't count, regardless of the end result. And it's now a 'crutch' nvidia rely on to prop up their failing graphics cards.... which AMD can't actually outcompete in the current generation regardless of DLSS. I dunno, it's a real mental gymnastics class in here....
Both are "evil" Nvidia are just much better at it.

AMD tried to charge $500 for the 5700XT, they realized they couldn't get away with it because tech journalists gave them a hard time for it.

It would be nice if the did the same with Nvidia but while being critical of AMD, even Intel is easy for these guys many of them think twice about doing the same with Nvidia, quite a lot of the time when a problem is found by consumers the response from these tech journalists is "we contacted Nvidia, they say they are looking into it".

If its AMD thousands of articles flood the internet about it with little more than a courtesy notification to AMD.

This is the problem, something about Nvidia has these people by the proverbials, its why the running theme with them is Nvidia's pricing is AMD's fault.

Caporegime
Both are "evil" Nvidia are just much better at it.

AMD tried to charge $500 for the 5700XT, they realized they couldn't get away with it because tech journalists gave them a hard time for it.

It would be nice if the did the same with Nvidia but while being critical of AMD, even Intel is easy for these guys many of them think twice about doing the same with Nvidia, quite a lot of the time when a problem is found by consumers the response from these tech journalists is "we contacted Nvidia, they say they are looking into it".

If its AMD thousands of articles flood the internet about it with little more than a courtesy notification to AMD.

This is the problem, something about Nvidia has these people by the proverbials, its why the running theme with them is Nvidia's pricing is AMD's fault.

To add to this.... this is why i want AMD to win, someone need's to smash this and be that as it may i suspect some of these large tech journalists and actually going to be quite unhappy about a competitive AMD.

One of them already seems frustrated at the prospect...

Soldato
...and 'tricks' that they pull to 'cheat' better results don't count, regardless of the end result. And it's now a 'crutch' nvidia rely on to prop up their failing graphics cards...
So you don't see anything wrong with intentionally reducing shader counts and replacing with premium-price silicon that goes unused 90% of the time, and prices are ramped up in turn because of outright lies in marketing? If you're perfectly happy to accept substandard image quality at inflated prices then Nvidia have clearly won their battle for your mindshare.
which AMD can't actually outcompete in the current generation regardless of DLSS.
So the 5700XT didn't beat the 2070 at launch, didn't draw parity with 2070 Super after a few months and is now not nipping at the heels of the 2080? AMD can't compete with Nvidia? Or do you only care about the $1,000 GPUs as the only metric of competitveness? That's not outcompeting, that's outperforming.
I dunno, it's a real mental gymnastics class in here....
And you're doing an impressive job of leading the way. It is not green/red fanboyism to point out the shortcomings of Nvidia's current offerings and the dangerous precedent it sets. If you're content with substandard image quality then why not save a ton of money, buy a lower-specced card and just turn down the game settings? At least that way you've made a conscious decision, rather than give Nvidia a boat load of money to make that decision for you.

Soldato
To add to this.... this is why i want AMD to win, someone need's to smash this and be that as it may i suspect some of these large tech journalists and actually going to be quite unhappy about a competitive AMD.

I haven't followed the convo, who is it you are thinking about here?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
So you don't see anything wrong with intentionally reducing shader counts and replacing with premium-price silicon that goes unused 90% of the time, and prices are ramped up in turn because of outright lies in marketing? If you're perfectly happy to accept substandard image quality at inflated prices then Nvidia have clearly won their battle for your mindshare.

So the 5700XT didn't beat the 2070 at launch, didn't draw parity with 2070 Super after a few months and is now not nipping at the heels of the 2080? AMD can't compete with Nvidia? Or do you only care about the $1,000 GPUs as the only metric of competitveness? That's not outcompeting, that's outperforming.

Both counts are true. While you have some fence sitters, if you think nvidia has done everyone a favour in point 1 and then point 2 is a non-runner because it took too long for the jockey to pip him at the post then you are by definition brainwashed.

Associate

Yeah I think you're right, and that comes from a 980Ti owner before anyone wants to start waving flag colours. I may buy an AMD this time round if the competition is there, I certainly want to given what we were served in the Turing range.

Soldato

And you're doing an impressive job of leading the way. It is not green/red fanboyism to point out the shortcomings of Nvidia's current offerings and the dangerous precedent it sets. If you're content with substandard image quality then why not save a ton of money, buy a lower-specced card and just turn down the game settings? At least that way you've made a conscious decision, rather than give Nvidia a boat load of money to make that decision for you.
well said

Soldato
well said

Well uhm, last time I checked 90% of reviews on the net are day one - rarely updated after 12 months+ for new drivers.
So even if the 5700xt has gotten faster, the average consumer doesn't know that - when they look for a 5700xt they see day 1 performance.

edit: Just tested this myself, google "5700xt review" and the first few links are all reviews from 2019 where the 5700xt loses to the 2070, never mind the super or 2080

That's why it's so important to have your graphics card drivers ready to rock and roll at launch, not hiding away performance for 12+ months - at least Nvidia understands this.

AMD needs to fire it's entire driver team, take the current driver and burn it to the ground and start from scratch

Well looking at the two threads AMD is certainly winning the race for most toxic fan boys

Always losing does that to ya

Last edited:
Soldato
Well uhm, last time I checked 90% of reviews on the net are day one - rarely updated after 12 months+ for new drivers.
So even if the 5700xt has gotten faster, the average consumer doesn't know that - when they look for a 5700xt they see day 1 performance.

edit: Just tested this myself, google "5700xt review" and the first few links are all reviews from 2019 where the 5700xt loses to the 2070, never mind the super or 2080

That's why it's so important to have your graphics card drivers ready to rock and roll at launch, not hiding away performance for 12+ months - at least Nvidia understands this.

AMD needs to fire it's entire driver team, take the current driver and burn it to the ground and start from scratch
You are over simplifying the situation. We all know that drivers improve performance so I don't agree with you that day 1 results are the only matrix. And it's a bit of a strawman on your part.
I nor LePhuronn didn't come to this forum and post in this thread benchmark improvements to a limited audience 5700xt. This is coming from a reviewer's website who initially posted day 1 results.
For example: Guru3d and ComputerBase to name a few. The same people who say day 1 results will see that too.

So I'm afraid that argument doesn't bold well in the grand scheme of things.

Now if you are very pro Nvidia and want to nitpick that "performance uplifts don't matter because...day 1 review" I could see the ill conceived purpose of saying it. I don't agree with it do to bias, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
While this post isn't defending that shocking release of HZD on PC one thing that you can take away from it though is just how well RDNA 1 performs, I can see that RDNA 1 and Big Navi RDNA 2 will get extra treatment from games going forward make this post! RDNA is the biggest threat to Nvidia is decades and they know it!

Soldato
While this post isn't defending that shocking release of HZD on PC one thing that you can take away from it though is just how well RDNA 1 performs, I can see that RDNA 1 and Big Navi RDNA 2 will get extra treatment from games going forward make this post! RDNA is the biggest threat to Nvidia is decades and they know it!
I'm sure the other camp loathes that. But it's been the writing on the wall for years now. AMD is focusing with console developers to optimize the game for their ecosystem. While those on the other side of the fence have to wait for nvidia to release drivers "fixes".

In the meantime you will read comments saying that HZD is "not optimized", "poorly coded", "poorly executed", "missing IQ features", etc. When in fact those are marketing "trigger" words showing how loathsome they are at the missed opportunity. And I like DF. But they can be very Pro Nvidia when they want to. For example, they only gave a simply excerpt of the bandwidth sensitivity of the game. IMO they should have further expound on that "find". Personally, I don't think they stumbled upon it. It just comes of as a bit cringy and arkward in execution. As if it was something he was told to say. But I digress.

If you noticed there is no DLSS in that game. Which is the 2nd game from Sony in a long time now. Which is part of why I said, and will continue to say, Nvidia has no gaming influence.

I'm sure HZD may need a patch or 2 (as with most other PC games) but overall the game runs fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom