• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
That's literally just one game. I have no doubt Nvidia or Rockstar might release an update to change that. RDR2 isn't the best example to use right now.

I was kidding. Fury X was a horrible card and the 4gb HBM was the worst part. Give it dx12/Vulkan and keep the memory use down and it fly's though from what i have seen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I was kidding. Fury X was a horrible card and the 4gb HBM was the worst part. Give it dx12/Vulkan and keep the memory use down and it fly's though from what i have seen.
Suprised to see you say this. But at least it shows you are more "real" and not letting red shades get in the way of the truth.

You know me by now. I just say it the way it is. Happy to call out either team.

Now you have to deal with 4K8K as he will take issue with you saying that. Lol

Caporegime
OP
I liked my Fury X for the short time I had it and liked the fact it came with an AIO. True enough about the 4GB but for 1080P, it will still cope just fine.

Soldato
GTX 1080/ti came out = Told to wait for Vega for AMD's come back
Vega comes out late and hot and only competes with the former = Told to wait for Navi to come out
"small" Navi comes out only competes with the 2070/2080 = told to wait for (Big) Navi 20 to come out to compete with the 2080ti

Now its turning into the Navi 23 for a "nvidia killer" years later, yer I don't see it eps with what coming up in 2020 and Navi's Performance per watt which the "small" navi's only just hits 14nm 1080ti levels.

I'll love to be wrong if it bring enthusiasts cards down in price again, being years late won't help.

Man of Honour

Haven't watched the whole video but from skipping through it he seemed to be implying console devs optimising for GCN being a big factor but can't really agree with that (also TPU results seem to show poorer results for nVidia than most other sources lately - he did at least use the Hardware Unboxed results for RDR2 which are a bit more accurate than the TPU ones though still not very positive for nVidia). The real problem is Pascal being shown for what it really is that I've said all along - nVidia peddling mid-range specs under higher tiers.

Ultimately though the old story is repeating itself - nVidia you get peak performance upfront and it starts to trail behind when you really want to be replacing the GPU regardless of which brand you bought.

Soldato
I think it's also the case that a lot of games have only started catching up with AMD hardware recently. Meaning, it takes many years to develop them and by the time we actually get them it seems like it should've been more AMD-favoured from the start but it took years. After all, something like RDR2 is Rockstar's only title on current gen consoles (GTA V was cross-gen after all) and it only came out close to the end of the cycle.

Man of Honour
I think it's also the case that a lot of games have only started catching up with AMD hardware recently. Meaning, it takes many years to develop them and by the time we actually get them it seems like it should've been more AMD-favoured from the start but it took years. After all, something like RDR2 is Rockstar's only title on current gen consoles (GTA V was cross-gen after all) and it only came out close to the end of the cycle.

It is a weird one - take Doom Vulkan - the devs actually sat down with AMD and optimised it the performance jumped up around ~25% - however contrary to some reports though they never actually sat down and optimised it for nVidia it is basically what you get out the box - Tiago Sousa did say they were going to go back and do the same for nVidia but they never did for whatever reason.

I still find my overall impression though is that AMD architectures tend to be less penalised with games that are inefficient rather than it being a case of leveraging the power of the architecture while nVidia's architectures that tend to be leaner don't have anywhere to go in those circumstances and while less the case with RDNA it often just isn't possible to unlock that extra power in a fully optimised scenario.

Man of Honour
Is that a joke ?

I think it was 50/50 half parody of a petulant strop and half serious.

All other considerations aside the cost would be horrendous given how few they'd get successfully from a wafer - probably have to price them at like $15K just to make a profit.

Even assuming they could make them commercially successful you can't just take an architecture and scale it up infinitely - you start to hit a lot of problems with utilising a GPU once you hit a certain point scaling it up.

Caporegime
I think it was 50/50 half parody of a petulant strop and half serious.

All other considerations aside the cost would be horrendous given how few they'd get successfully from a wafer - probably have to price them at like $15K just to make a profit.

Even assuming they could make them commercially successful you can't just take an architecture and scale it up infinitely - you start to hit a lot of problems with utilising a GPU once you hit a certain point scaling it up.

:( I just want a huge ass die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom