• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yeah I've been following the Nvidia threads on and off for a while. The mindset of these people amazes me.

Two Nvidia generations in a row now have had catastrophic hardware issues yet it doesn't matter. The fans are still DESPERATE to buy one.

Yet AMD have a minor driver issue (now fixed) and people avoid it. AMD's upcoming RDDA2 cards need to be 100% perfect in every way because people are looking for the tiniest excuse to avoid AMD.

This is so true!

Soldato
From the comments section of a different side:

I do wish sites would stop directly comparing Ampere's FP32 performance to RDNA / RDNA2, when we already know Ampere can only ever produce around 2/3 of that performance in applications that also use INT32 resources (e.g. games). At 22.5 TFLOPS, AMD should be kicking dust in the 3080's eyes.

If we believe the leaked specs, is this comment fair or FUD?

Associate
Hence the quotation marks around "work". We all know the past few AMD releases have been pushed past their efficiency sweet spot and have greatly benefitted from some tuning to bring the temps and the heat down (which has often resulted in a performance boost). I was just saying don't throw the Ampere is hot and hungry mud slinging around because the Nvidiots will just fire back with "but Vega but Navi but Polaris blah blah blah". Let's not stoop to their level ;)

For the flack the polaris cards got on launch, they have really aged well. My son is running an RX570, and its still a belting 1080p card.

Soldato
Hence the quotation marks around "work". We all know the past few AMD releases have been pushed past their efficiency sweet spot and have greatly benefitted from some tuning to bring the temps and the heat down (which has often resulted in a performance boost). I was just saying don't throw the Ampere is hot and hungry mud slinging around because the Nvidiots will just fire back with "but Vega but Navi but Polaris blah blah blah". Let's not stoop to their level ;)
ahh right ok, so you're saying they're not tuned as such... yeah suppose so, but they still worked though, whether they ran hot or not... they didn't fail, well mine didn't but yeah I get your point, no problemo lol

Associate
From the comments section of a different side:

If we believe the leaked specs, is this comment fair or FUD?

I could only find this from unity documentation:

Integer data types
Integers (int data type) are often used as loop counters or array indices. For this purpose, they generally work fine across various platforms.

If true, Nvidia has done something very clever there to ensure high utilisation of their transistors.

Permabanned
According to the opinion:

Navi 21 will reportedly pack up to 80 compute units (CUs) where we should see 5120 stream processors, with a Navi 21A variant at 2050MHz while there will also reportedly be a Navi 21B at up to 2200MHz. The higher-end Navi 21B at 2200MHz would result in shader performance of around 22.5 TFLOPs -- which means it'll lose in a big way against NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 3080 which has 29.8 TLFOPs.

We should note that TFLOPs performance won't win the battles, and AMD will have many aces up its sleeve when it comes to RDNA 2. AMD is also making its new Radeon RX 6000 series on the 7nm node at TSMC, versus NVIDIA's new GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs being made on Samsung 8nm.

We should expect the Navi 21B variant to probably try get close to the RTX 3080 (and maybe closer to RTX 3070), while the Navi 21A might hit the RTX 3060 Ti or RTX 3070 territory.

Navi 21B at 2200 MHz will be between RTX 3070 and RTX 3080.
Navi 21A at 2050 MHz will be between RTX 3060 Ti and RTX 3070 (both of which are unreleased cards with unknown performance).

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt.c3339

In order to be around RTX 2080 Ti or alleged RTX 3060 Ti / RTX 3070 performance levels, Navi 10 needs at least 35% higher performance.

Now, Navi 21 has 100% more shaders than Navi 10, 50-60% higher performance per watt, and at least 20% higher IPC and 15% higher clocks.
Oh, and 50% higher TDP limit.

:rolleyes:

Permabanned
You have to hate these people.....

3080: 29.8 TLFOPs
Big Navi: 22.5 TFLOPs

Therefore Big Navi = 3070 <> 3080.

As if Compute = Gaming performance.

By their measure a 3080 is a 2080TI +250%.

Idiots...

They are stupid because Nvidia TFLOPs are unrealistic, Nvidia uses some techniques to make these figures look extremely large, where in reality they mean no performance improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom