• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
But has it though? The MSRP of the 3080 Founders is just mindshare marketing and obfuscation. In very real terms, the customer is not getting a 3080 for less than £800 any time soon (arguably ever because those Founders cards will never be in plentiful stock to feed demand, therefore sales are pushed onto AIBs who have chunky markups). So although that's not 2080 Ti money, it's still a wedge over MSRP.

This is a deliberate, insidious and genius move to maintain margins whilst still looking like value. And it's worked, because you just know that the RX 6000 series will be compared to the 3000 Founders, fake MSRP included, with all the negativity that'll bring.

We've already on these threads where people were arguing the toss over how the 2070 Super was much better value than the 5700XT because they were comparing a bargin-basement KFA job with the uber-built Sapphire Nitro+: why buy a £480 5700XT when you can get a £420 2070S? It'll be the same again: why buy a £700 6800XT when you can get a 3080 Founders for the same money? (despite never being able to get a Founders).

"Chunky markups"? I have seen AIB's for MSRP. EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, MSI...Zotac.

And you just kind of glossed over how Ampere is faster and costs less than Turing. Even if no MSRP cards existed, the whole "shareholders demand" argument for more performance automatically costing more money has already gone down in flames.

I'm sure Nvidia would like to charge a gazillion dollars for a 3050. They can't though, because they don't have all the power. They do not control all aspects of the market. They don't have the option of just charging whatever they want.

Caporegime
The figures are simplified to illustrate the point you've just confirmed. If AMD's superior card has to be priced cheaper than the Nvidia card it beats in order to be a "success" then that's the major mindshare deficit talking.

Take the tech on merit, way up pros and cons and if all things considered the AMD card is superior to the Nvidia card by X amount then why shouldn't it be charged accordingly? But no, it's AMD so it must be cheaper otherwise it's a failure.

Of course AMD have less mindshare... they know that even if they would never say it outright. They are also very unlikely going to let pride get in the way of buildig up their reputation and market share by pricing their 6900XT more than the card they are trying to compete with, that costs them less to produce and that they will still make good profit from. it makes no sense.

For AMD to gain ground and market share this generation, the 6900XT has to be seen as better value than a 3080 to tempt undecided buyers away from them.

Permabanned
Yup statistical performance metrics don't tell the true story.
In-game overlay benching and comparisons is the only truth that matters.

AMD's FP32 to FP16 ratio is 1:2 which means that if its FP32 performance is 22.5 TFLOPs, its FP16 will be double or 45 TFLOPs.

For some reason, Nvidia's ratio is 1:1, and yet RTX 2080 Ti has 13.45 TFLOPs, while RTX 3080 with only 50% more transistors somehow magically has 121% more FP32 TFLOPs.

Nvidia's architecture somehow splits a single shader into halves and then thinks the new parts are 100% the size.

Soldato
I think it depends how many cards Amd and Nvidia can get out if Nvidia cannot get a lot out before Amd then Amd can charge slightly more because Nvidia got no cards in stock and of course Nvidia will do the same.

Soldato
This is AMD remember, they don't rush. Same with Zen3, announced soon but availability end of Oct imo.
Well look at Nvidia at moment the launch is a mess because the rushed and Amd hasn't the mindset like Nvidia if this was Amd launch, the world would be ending and it would be Amd fault.

Associate
Yeah I've been following the Nvidia threads on and off for a while. The mindset of these people amazes me.

Two Nvidia generations in a row now have had catastrophic hardware issues yet it doesn't matter. The fans are still DESPERATE to buy one.

Yet AMD have a minor driver issue (now fixed) and people avoid it. AMD's upcoming RDDA2 cards need to be 100% perfect in every way because people are looking for the tiniest excuse to avoid AMD.

Oh absolutely agree. The “AMD need better drivers” thing is quite unbelievable.

How did people like their 3.5GB 970s I wonder :D

I think I’ve decided to continue with AMD cards based on this latest debacle.

DDH

DDH

Associate
Soldato
Didnt nvidia throw a bone to these AIB's like 50-100$ to sweeten the launch blow? If so its pretty lame, like phasing in the price creep so the only ones to suck up the slack will be the consumers.

NVIDIA have done so much wrong in this launch.
-Crashing,
-No stock,
-Questionable decisions by AIBs cheaping out on components,
-An upcoming announcement from AMD on GPUs in 4 weeks time,
-G-Sync compataibility issues with the LG OLED CX for 4:4:4 (the main reason people seem to want HDMI 2.1),
-Leaks from AIBs of a 20GB model coming at some point,
-Retailers being extremely dodgy and vague
-Retailers hiking up prices
-Preorders having no time frame on when they'll be delivered
-'Low' VRAM
-Samsung over TMSC
-Lying about performance via DigitalNvidiaFoundry

I honestly think AMD can land a killer blow to NVIDIA which will turn the tides in the GPU war if they have the performance to compete and surpass the 3080.
The issue is that a lot of people buying new GPUs might be 4k panel owners and for 4K, we really need 3080 level performance.
For example, if it can't 4K 60fps Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2, then I'm afraid I'll have to potentially give it a miss.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
For example, if it can't 4K 60fps Horizon Zero Dawn and RDR2, then I'm afraid I'll have to potentially give it a miss.

If people could play on a 2080Ti @ 4k60 then I think the new cards will be there for it especially if you can configure settings to suit. I have a 4k60 display and one of the reasons I am looking forward to upgrading from a vega 56.

Soldato
If people could play on a 2080Ti @ 4k60 then I think the new cards will be there for it especially if you can configure settings to suit. I have a 4k60 display and one of the reasons I am looking forward to upgrading from a vega 56.

I did compromise settings on my RTX 2080 to get it to play nice. If I still have to do compromises on RDR2 and HZD with the newest AMD GPU, I might as well just stick with my 2080.

So although from your situation of a Vega 56, I understand the thought pattern.. if I need to start fiddling with setting on my NEW GPU, I might as well not upgrade as the 2080 and 1080tis are ok... not amazing but they're not a gigantic gap away from the 2080ti performance.

Associate
But has it though? The MSRP of the 3080 Founders is just mindshare marketing and obfuscation. In very real terms, the customer is not getting a 3080 for less than £800 any time soon (arguably ever because those Founders cards will never be in plentiful stock to feed demand, therefore sales are pushed onto AIBs who have chunky markups). So although that's not 2080 Ti money, it's still a wedge over MSRP.

This is a deliberate, insidious and genius move to maintain margins whilst still looking like value. And it's worked, because you just know that the RX 6000 series will be compared to the 3000 Founders, fake MSRP included, with all the negativity that'll bring.

We've already seen on these forums people were arguing the toss over how the 2070 Super was much better value than the 5700XT because they were comparing a bargin-basement KFA job with the uber-built Sapphire Nitro+: why buy a £480 5700XT when you can get a £420 2070S? It'll be the same again: why buy a £700 6800XT when you can get a 3080 Founders for the same money? (despite never being able to get a Founders).

This comment needs to be pinned somewhere. A very accurate analysis of Nvidia's masterful pricing strategy, yet so many will either ignore or flat out deny this despite it all being so simple to follow. The 3080 will continue to be thought of as a £650 product by the very same people who think AMD should deliver a superior card and price it below £600! You have to hand it to Nvidia, they couldn't have played this any better. Despite witnessing its disastrous launch, many still see the 3000 series as good value for money (based on the fake MSRP) and continue to spread delusional messages such as "AMD isn't launching soon enough and everyone is buying 3080s".

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This comment needs to be pinned somewhere. A very accurate analysis of Nvidia's masterful pricing strategy, yet so many will either ignore or flat out deny this despite it all being so simple to follow. The 3080 will continue to be thought of as a £650 product by the very same people who think AMD should deliver a superior card and price it below £600! You have to hand it to Nvidia, they couldn't have played this any better. Despite witnessing its disastrous launch, many still see the 3000 series as good value for money (based on the fake MSRP) and continue to spread delusional messages such as "AMD isn't launching soon enough and everyone is buying 3080s".

blinkers2.jpeg

Associate

I do understand where you’re coming from, however once the AMD cards are here we can all just compare prices on the OCUK shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom