AMD : New Build x 2 : Budget (blushes)

Associate
Hello and I wondered if anyone can advise on my wife and I's builds please ?

Our current rigs are 3 years old and feeling the strain when gaming, despite upgrading the GPU's recently.

Mine is an i7-7700K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super, 34" LG UW Monitor (3440 x 1440) : 120MHz OC)
Hers is an it-4770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super, 34" LG UW Monitor (3440 x 1440) : 120MHz OC)

Clearly, it's the processors where the bottlenecks are occurring.

We were just about to pull the plug on new builds in Sep on the 10900K processor, then Zen 3 came on to our radar, so we decided to wait to see what AMD had to offer, and we are impressed.

Our objective to build the fastest gaming rigs we can, either on air, or enclosed loop water-cooling. (We have Krakens from our existing builds, though we like to replace when doing a new build).

Our spec list is somewhat mutable, but so far we have

Ryzen 9 5900X
32 GB of not yet decided memory, but will be 4 x 8 GB DS to gain the increase in performance
Mobo : This is what we are struggling with : Asus Dark Hero probably. Possibly Gigabyte Aorus Master
NVMie : Samsung 980 Pro, 1 TB x 2, so 2 M2 slots necessary. 1 drive for Win10 and apps, 1 for games only
CPU Cooling : No idea on the best solution here. What's the best for the 5900X ?
GPU : We will use our 2080 Supers for now, but are itching to get Big Navi (6800XT)
PSU : Whilst the old PC's have AX1200's, we'll probably just buy new PSU's. My old rig will go elsewhere for running VR which it excels at, and I have a spare 1080Ti which it used to use before I got the 2080 Super.

Now one thing that concerns me is our monitors. They are both G-Sync, so they are not going to help much with Big Navi. We'll lose some functionality. Or we could wait and run on the 2080's until the 3080ti appears. Or ditch the monitors and get equivalent Freesync's to work with Big Navi. We kind of liked the idea of the AMD chip working with Big Navi to enhance our eye-candy and performance, which ultimately what this is all about.

Budget is ballpark 4K per machine. (If one good thing has come out of Covid, it's been our ability to save. Neither of us have left the house since March 23rd (Extreme isolating), so no meals out, no nothing. We both WFH, and spend nearly every moment on our machines).

The disappointing thing is, we were both ready to pull the trigger and order these bits, but the core things like processor, mobo, even Big Navi are not available, so I'm guessing a lot of other folks are in similar positions.
Whilst we are both experienced system builders and love a good build, it pains my heart to look at another 3rd party who are system builders and suppliers and have most of these components in stock. Enough to have a Ryzen 9 5900x (not the Asus Dark Hero but a Gigabyte Aorus Master) ready for order now. Their builds seem pretty amazing and it doesn't look like they use sub-par components if you choose the high end solutions. (Ok, their MSI 3090 concerned me, I only use EVGA, but we can spec without a GPU).

Sorry for the stream of thought, I've been watching so many reviews on so many channels (eg, use 3600Mhz memory as it's apparently the sweet spot for performance and also stability), check your M2's to make sure the PCIE lanes on the mobo doesn't fall shot and not supply enough lanes, rendering your PCIE 4 drives downgraded in speed, yada yada. I'm a bit frazzled around the edges. When I specced up my existing machine it seemed nowhere near as complicated as it does now, but then I suppose AM4 and Zen 3 are new ecosystems and still bedding down.

I just want something ridiculously fast for gaming. Something that would eat Cyberpunk 2077 for breakfast on ultra settings, and say "Is that it ?" if you get my drift !

Thank you,

Associate
TBH i think you know what you'er looking for and with your experience and knowledge you cant really go wrong.
The new 5000 series do run warm under benchmarks but aren't too bad when gaming so i would say go with the cooler that suits your needs. I prefer custom loops (like the challenge) but im just upgrading my secondary system and planning on using the new EK AIO's.
motherboard i am an asus fan boy but have used the new gigabyte boards and i can say they are very good. If you like RGB through the gigabyte software is a bit poo, if that isn't an issue go with whats affordable and in stock.
M.2's i've got a 980 pro and they are great bits of kit. I managed to get a 2tb Sabrent 4.0 m.2 for the price of a 1tb 980, just for storing apps ect on is more than acceptable.

Soldato
As you have said there is just no stock of the major components at OCUK. So suggesting a build here seems pointless. You have done a lot of research and you are on the right lines with everything so I would just go with the company that has them in stock.

Back
Top Bottom