• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 'Navi' 6900XT vs Nvidia 3080?

Associate
Interesting to hear about the new AMD Radeon 6900XT cards that are going to be a serious contender for Nvidia 3080 cards. Seen several reports on YouTube the 6900XT's are only a little slower than the 3080's. They have 16GB VRAM (3080 10GB). More power efficient than the 3080's (about 100 watts less consumption) and more importantly they are reported to be about 115 UKP cheaper. Not sure whether AMD 6900XT introduction will suffer the same supply problems as Nvidia, but I suspect not as bad? It has been reported that these new AMD GPU's are only 5.5% slower than the Nvidia 3080. Maybe some of these reports are just speculation, but if true and the AMD's supply is better than Nvidia, then Nvidia has serious competition, if these AMD cards are readily available before the end of 2020. Nvidia's 300's series cards may not be readily available until 2021? Any views please.

Associate
Interesting to hear about the new AMD Radeon 6900XT cards that are going to be a serious contender for Nvidia 3080 cards. Seen several reports on YouTube the 6900XT's are only a little slower than the 3080's. They have 16GB VRAM (3080 10GB). More power efficient than the 3080's (about 100 watts less consumption) and more importantly they are reported to be about 115 UKP cheaper. Not sure whether AMD 6900XT introduction will suffer the same supply problems as Nvidia, but I suspect not as bad? It has been reported that these new AMD GPU's are only 5.5% slower than the Nvidia 3080. Maybe some of these reports are just speculation, but if true and the AMD's supply is better than Nvidia, then Nvidia has serious competition, if these AMD cards are readily available before the end of 2020. Nvidia's 300's series cards may not be readily available until 2021? Any views please.
It seems very possible, but we don't know if the supply thing will come true. They're not even announced until almost November, maybe released mid-late November?

Might not be many shipments before Xmas...

Soldato
Like a lot of green teamers with an expensive G-Sync monitor, even if Navi was faster than a 3090, it would be irrelevant. Its the undermining of Nvidia's top end monopoly which definitely is relevant.

Associate
Supply is the big if. Presumably Sony and MS are also competing for capacity too, so I wouldn't be amazed if their numbers aren't much better than Nvidia's.

Something made Nvidia push a launch through with very limited capacity...

Man of Honour
Something made Nvidia push a launch through with very limited capacity...

The supply situation isn't that abnormal compared to previous launches as some people with an agenda are trying to insist - just the outstanding pre-orders from 1 UK retailer alone at this point would have been approx. 1/3rd the global stock to this point in previous launches so demand is definitely significantly exacerbating the situation.

It is hard to gauge really how much nVidia have rushed it - the cooler and PCB for instance a lot of time has gone into the design and development of, on the other hand AIBs haven't been given a lot of time to work with resulting in some having to scrap designs or rush in significant last minute changes.

Associate
The supply situation isn't that abnormal compared to previous launches as some people with an agenda are trying to insist - just the outstanding pre-orders from 1 UK retailer alone at this point would have been approx. 1/3rd the global stock to this point in previous launches so demand is definitely significantly exacerbating the situation.

It is hard to gauge really how much nVidia have rushed it - the cooler and PCB for instance a lot of time has gone into the design and development of, on the other hand AIBs haven't been given a lot of time to work with resulting in some having to scrap designs or rush in significant last minute changes.

I doubt we'll ever be able to make accurate comparisons to past launches, as the odds of seeing numbers for this one are remote.

I do agree that the AIB issues are odd and suggest things may not have been finalised until very late in the day. Likewise the lack of box photos from Gibbo and the opaque comments about stock levels are inconsistent with past launches.

Soldato
Like a lot of green teamers with an expensive G-Sync monitor, even if Navi was faster than a 3090, it would be irrelevant. Its the undermining of Nvidia's top end monopoly which definitely is relevant.

well im in the market for a G9 as well so that wouldn't be an issue lol. so faster and cheaper than a 3090 would be brill if unlikey, then my only possable issue would be AMD's RT support and performance in games eps in Cyperpunk which Im upgrading for

Associate
Launch availability aside, After getting a 5700xt on launch I'd rather pay an extra 20% for a similar card from Nvidia in future. The amount of time I spent messing about with different drivers and trying to get games to run (and **** VR performance) just isn't worth the savings by going AMD. That's even assuming they are cheaper this time around.

Man of Honour
Launch availability aside, After getting a 5700xt on launch I'd rather pay an extra 20% for a similar card from Nvidia in future. The amount of time I spent messing about with different drivers and trying to get games to run (and **** VR performance) just isn't worth the savings by going AMD. That's even assuming they are cheaper this time around.

It's when you buy an NV card and it's no better :p

Associate
not be long before we find out price VS performance

Tin Foil Hat Time....it does seem like Nvidia pushed the new cards out fast and the lower price made me think

Soldato
Yeah i got fed up with AMD driver issues ages ago maybe Xfire didnt help, but won't go back now.

Associate
Unless AMD are coming to the market with an alternative to DLSS, being slightly more powerful won't be good enough, since DLSS 3.0 is reported to be generically trained and therefore capable of increasing frame rates by 40%+ in basically any game.

Not to mention the unknown that is raytracing support on AMDs RDNA2 architecture. The console showings of it have looked pretty poor, though that's not really a good indicator of how a high end graphics card will handle it, it is worrying.

AMD really need to step up the software side of their game up greatly (at least in graphics).

Also what is UKP?

Caporegime
The top end AMD card will be as good as a 3070 and the same or less price..... It will just cause a price competition in mid tiers.

Same as always. Not an option if you want the best or better but always good for price/performance hawks and the budget bound.

I have 2 g sync monitors and it doesn't matter really. If the card is amazing it will be better than G Sync.... If its not then thank god for gsync just making it "better" anyway.

It wont be better and there wont be any upply till 2021 anyway so who cares.
Itll probably be king of the bottom feeders.

I hope im wrong :p
Last ATi AMD card i had was a 5850... i think?! MW2 days....

Soldato
The top end AMD card will be as good as a 3070 and the same or less price..... It will just cause a price competition in mid tiers.

Same as always. Not an option if you want the best or better but always good for price/performance hawks and the budget bound.

AMD have already shown a 6000 series Gpu that almost matches the 3080 so what you have wrote is way off the mark. AMD only said it was a 6000 gpu so it might not even be there top card but they definitely have something better than a 3070.

Associate
I doubt AMD have much interest in chasing 3090 level stuff anyway, it represents a tiny fraction of the market. They'll want to eat into 3070/3080 market share.

Associate
I doubt AMD have much interest in chasing 3090 level stuff anyway, it represents a tiny fraction of the market. They'll want to eat into 3070/3080 market share.
This, but there would probably be some considerable value in having a 'halo' model which would elevate the brand.

The real money seems to be around 5500XT/1650/1660 range, looking at how popular cards in this price range are on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom