• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X - Working, Sold Now Faulty?

Associate
Hi

I've just sold my Sapphire Radeon R9 290X on a well known auction site. In the time I had it from new, it worked flawlessly playing at 2560x1440 high gfx modes etc but never overclocked. I took it out of my PC, gave it a clean with compressed air (like I've done for years) and then boxed it up in the original packaging.
I've sent it off to the winning bidder who has emailed me to say the card runs at 89 degrees and blew his PSU within an hour, he then says he fitted a new PSU and again an hour later that one blew as well? He says they are Corsair 750w then 850w PSU's...

I don't get it as the card has been perfect in all the time I had it, he's had it for an hour and now says its faulty and wants to return it... Just wondered what you guys think or any experience?

Regards

Soldato
Ask him to return it. I assume you took pictures of your card and serial number etc? Ask for a Skype video call with him to show the non working psus etc.

Check his recent purchases to see if he also bought the psus from there.

Reason I rarely use that auction site anymore. Two many people know they can get away with a scam.

Associate
I don't get it as the card has been perfect in all the time I had it, he's had it for an hour and now says its faulty and wants to return it... Just wondered what you guys think or any experience?
His statement that the card blew two Corsair PSUs is total nonsense. Those PSUs, like almost all these days, have short circuit protection. Even if the card has died with a short the PSU will just cut out right away - I've had occasion to try this more than once.

The buyer may be a typical 'popular auction site' moron who doesn't like the card and is making up an excuse to return it. But he could also be a scammer who has a faulty card of the same model you sold him and will 'return' the broken one to you. This kind of scam is very, very common as the auction site in question pretty much always takes the buyer's side, no matter what the evidence.

Your situation resonates quite a bit with me. Earlier this year I sold a card (a 290 no less, a nice Gigabyte Windforce model) on that site. Card always worked fine, but the buyer opened a return saying the card crashed and showed corruption (they even included a picture of a corrupt desktop). I was forced to give them a full refund and pay return postage.

The card arrived back - no sign of corruption but now it had a fan blade missing and signs of serious physical abuse. Right now I have a return request open for another card I sold, a broken GeForce. The listing stated 'for parts/not working, 'card is non-functional and 'card does not power up' and 'no returns'. The buyer now wants to return the card because it "doesn't work"....

I despise that site and its legions of scammers and morons with a passion.

Caporegime
Th problem with ebay is the protection always go to the buyer. I sold an Audi A8 stereo and specifically stated that it won't work till it has been authenticated by an Audi dealer. The buyer posted back the same day as receiving it and said it didn't work, I asked him if he went to the dealer, which he replied "No" and I still had to refund him because Ebay said so.

Sad to say that I feel you will have to accept a return and refund him :(

Man of Honour
tell him you'l refund him once he's sent it back so you can check the serial number and security markings,
that might put him off if he was intending to do the old switcheroo

Associate
Funny enough i had a guy a few months back say the exact same thing.
Took the card out my machine , sent it off and got a message from the buyer saying his PC shuts off due to the card reaching max temps.
I gave him a refund and when the card come back it was working perfectly , normal temps etc :( i think people just have second thoughts / card not as powerful as they had hoped etc.
Really annoying as a seller , ive had very few issues with ebay but when you do get one it really puts you off using again :(
I would mind if the buyer said they no longer want it rather then lie and say there is an issue lol

Associate
I never sell anything on that auction site. I sold my 290X Vapor X back in May on a well known public selling site where the buyer came to my house and he saw the card working in my rig before he bought it. But as others have said get him to return it and check the serial numbers etc and for damage. I know a friend of mine sold some DDR3 on there and he tested them when he got them back before refunding the guy. Beware of selling anything on there. I got stung once years ago and now I just don't sell on there.

As for popping 2 PSU's yeah righto.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi

I've just sold my Sapphire Radeon R9 290X on a well known auction site. In the time I had it from new, it worked flawlessly playing at 2560x1440 high gfx modes etc but never overclocked. I took it out of my PC, gave it a clean with compressed air (like I've done for years) and then boxed it up in the original packaging.
I've sent it off to the winning bidder who has emailed me to say the card runs at 89 degrees and blew his PSU within an hour, he then says he fitted a new PSU and again an hour later that one blew as well? He says they are Corsair 750w then 850w PSU's...

Regards

If you use sites like that you shouls always take down the graphics cards serial numbers, It's possible you sold the graphics card to someone who had an identical onethat was already broken, And he may send back his broken one, The big problem is the customers always right in the eye's of where you sold it, I once sold a 4gb 290x on the river, Within an hour of placing the order he e-mailed me through the river saying Is it okay to cancel the order as he's not sure a 4gb card will be good enough for 4k, I said fine and later found that the river was charging me 8 quid for the cancellation, Apparently when he found out there would be a cancellation fee he turned around and put the blame on me stating the card was not being sold as seen, Which makes no sense considering I hadn't even sent it, I explained to the river people what had really happened and I even had the cancellation e-mail that was sent through them as proof but the customers always right.

I learnt to never trust such sites again so now I either use the MM here on OCUK or I keep it.

Back
Top Bottom