• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X - Working, Sold Now Faulty?

Associate
your own personal "no returns policy" cant trump Ebays law on returns im affraid,
if someone claims it arried broken, or not as described you WILL be refunding them

Can't emphasise this enough. Between ebay and paypal you have no chance. If they rule in the buyer's favour, which they will do, you will have the money taken from you.

Soldato
Can't emphasise this enough. Between ebay and paypal you have no chance. If they rule in the buyer's favour, which they will do, you will have the money taken from you.
No you don't. They might put your account into negative balance, but you are not obliged to reimburse PayPal or eBay for that.

Associate
I sold my four graphics cards on Sunday (HD 7990, R9 Fury Nitro, R9 290X and GTX 690) and listed them with those three conditions:
  • UK only bidders
  • must have 100% positive feedback
  • must have at least 25 counts of feedback
I also put a note that my cards were "security marked, serial numbers recorded and hi-res pictures of the cards taken". Also, I posted online 3DMark results and TPU GPU validation of the cards.
All this to distract potential fraudsters. I still had a lot of bidders from abroad with ZERO or ONE feedback. I was permanently cancelling their bids and blocked them eventually.

Associate
eBay has gone down hill recently with the basics.

Just this week even though I selected ship to UK only a bidder from abroad managed to win the item which just isn't worth the hassle of shipping especially with electronics.

Soldato
if I ever use that place to sell, I always list the item as cash on collection only and invite people to view the item working before they pay/take it
cuts out the scammers pretty quickly

Soldato
I've got a few spare parts that are still good lying around bit never had the balls to stick them on eBay for this reason.

Can't find out how to get MM access so do places like cash converters and CEX take computer parts?

They do but their prices will be rubbish as they dont care what model of a card it is, so they'll give you the same for a kingpin as they would for a plastic reference card

Associate
My mate sold a PS4 via fleabay and the buyer reported it as faulty and returned it to him, only for my mate to discover it was a different PS4. A faulty one.
But fleabay took the buyers side and my mate was out of pocket, and a PS4 down.
Would never use it, have used gumtree for a few bits and bobs, but Facebook sellers page is not bad for selling stuff.

Soldato
People buying mining-related hardware are probably more likely to try and scam, because it's an odd situation where even the buyer is already in a money-making mindset.

Associate
Might be of interest

The eBay Scammers

ITV tonight 9pm 31/08

Every day in Britain, 100 people become a victim of fraud when shopping online and organised crime is now targeting eBay, the world's biggest online marketplace. This programme follows detectives from the London regional fraud team as they investigate an Eastern European gang making millions by fooling victims into paying money into accounts they control.

Soldato
Might be of interest

The eBay Scammers

ITV tonight 9pm 31/08

Every day in Britain, 100 people become a victim of fraud when shopping online and organised crime is now targeting eBay, the world's biggest online marketplace. This programme follows detectives from the London regional fraud team as they investigate an Eastern European gang making millions by fooling victims into paying money into accounts they control.

Those programs are always blown way out of proportion for the drama, I work for a charity on eBay and the main scam I see going on is people demanding money back after a purchase or they will leave us negative feedback.

Associate
Those programs are always blown way out of proportion for the drama, I work for a charity on eBay and the main scam I see going on is people demanding money back after a purchase or they will leave us negative feedback.

Yes agree with you there news or TV do tend to hype things up....And as you work for a charity selling on ebay i find it even more disgusting that peeps would even try to scam from a charity just low ...
but that program was mainly about a large organized gang using ebay/PP to scam people ...

then we have the peeps that have a faulty good to begin with buy a working one of the same on ebay then return the broken back to the seller and be protected via pay-pal system ....I mean 180 days if its still is that which paypal cover you so you could in effect buy a 2nd hand laptop use and abuse for 179 days and then open a case to say its blown up and the chances are you would get your money back ...that's just plain wrong where talking about 2nd hand goods here ...not even an online retailer give over 30 days for there b stock ect ....

Associate
I know this all too well, I could prove that the card I sold on Ebay was fine before I shipped it and they had lifted the wires deliberately to cause it to hit the fan, as could be seen in the pictures and they weren't interested, didnt even want to look at the photos. They even tried to sell it twice then ended it early to return back to me!
Then paypal are just as bad, had a dispute elsewhere and was settled in my favour as they had removed the cooler and the serial number, therefore voiding the warranty and caused the fault. Then they started a paypal dispute and got it all back!
Hence now I will generally favour selling locally or on a forum such as this

Wow, that's really bad of paypal

Back
Top Bottom