• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 290X - Working, Sold Now Faulty?

Associate
Well my Fury Tri-X sold on ebay this morning, shipping address was a self storage facility in London, but the guy is from Bulgaria. Don't get access to my money for 21 days as it's my first sale on ebay. Now, I'm a wee bit worried!

Associate
Well my Fury Tri-X sold on ebay this morning, shipping address was a self storage facility in London, but the guy is from Bulgaria. Don't get access to my money for 21 days as it's my first sale on ebay. Now, I'm a wee bit worried!
Refuse to send it, your going to lose on that one, just throw it on Gumtree or the local Facebook selling page, eBay is a liability for electrical goods unless from an authorized re seller etc.

Associate
Weeeeeeellll :/

Auction finished 0700, saw money was paid into PP, and being early and getting ready for work etc etc I didn't do any further digging. Thought I'd be a decent seller and post it promptly, so sent it PF 48 as I said I would on the way to work.
It wasn't until i was having my regular 10oclock appointment with the porcelain that I checked further, saw on PP he had a Bulgarian email address, and was in fact based in Burgas, Bulgaria.

Yes, I know, I know :(

Caporegime
I just avoid ebay as much as I can now. It just isn't worth it.

Only really use it to buy stuff from proper ebay stores.

Soldato
I am with ebay since 2002 never had problems with sold items used my own Ebay security guideline to help prevented scams, frauds and identify theft:

1. Take pictures of items all sides along with serial numbers.

2. Take screenshots of desktop with date and time showed CPU-Z, GPU-Z. HWINFO64, HD Tune, SSDLife, RealTemp etc to proved item worked on the same day of auction date.

3. When sell mobile phone, take pictures and give CheckMEND report link to prove it is genuine and worked.

4. Take pictures of item packaged secured, sealed with sender and delivery addresses with printed out track numbers.

5. Take videos of handled over package to courier at my house door or to staff at post office.

6. Post items to UK only.

7. Only accept Paypal, do not accept bank transfer and Western Union.

Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace has no payment protection services and they both don't monitoring and recorded communications between buyers and sellers that ebay do has both advantages.

Ebay is not the only one organised crime gangs targeted for scams and frauds, they targeted Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, Craiglist, Etsy and every other sites everyday!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-conned-buyers-out-1000-13056653
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/couple-carried-out-lego-scam-13455581
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ne...olving-gumtree-paypal-and-western-union-oct14

Last edited:
Caporegime

Annoyingly I've just received my refund rather than credit note I thought it was. I could have flipping bought it!

Soldato
I am with ebay since 2002 never had problems with sold items used my own Ebay security guideline to help prevented scams, frauds and identify theft:

2. Take screenshots of desktop with date and time showed CPU-Z, GPU-Z. HWINFO64, HD Tune, SSDLife, RealTemp etc to proved item worked on the same day of auction date.

3. When sell mobile phone, take pictures and give CheckMEND report link to prove it is genuine and worked.

4. Take pictures of item packaged secured, sealed with sender and delivery addresses with printed out track numbers.

5. Take videos of handled over package to courier at my house door or to staff at post office.

Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace has no payment protection services and they both don't monitoring and recorded communications between buyers and sellers that ebay do has both advantages.

Ebay is not the only one organised crime gangs targeted for scams and frauds, they targeted Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, Craiglist, Etsy and every other sites everyday!

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-conned-buyers-out-1000-13056653
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/couple-carried-out-lego-scam-13455581
http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ne...olving-gumtree-paypal-and-western-union-oct14

And what do you think all this evidence gets you? I did the same and that didnt prevent someone successfully returning an item to me damaged and with serial missing. Sent it all to ebay and they just told me to contact the police - who couldnt have cared less.

Using paypal just makes it easier for them to get their money back, it doesnt protect you as a seller at all.

Soldato
And what do you think all this evidence gets you? I did the same and that didnt prevent someone successfully returning an item to me damaged and with serial missing. Sent it all to ebay and they just told me to contact the police - who couldnt have cared less.

Using paypal just makes it easier for them to get their money back, it doesnt protect you as a seller at all.

Well if someone want to try scammed me returned a motherboard for full refund, I would advised him through either ebay and paypal communication emails I will only accept returned item in exactly same original condition as showed in my pictures. When received package then I would record a video showed me opened delivery package from buyer turned out to be different dead motherboard with no serial number that are not the same brand and model as described in my auction. Paypal probably will be on my side if I has all evidences but if paypal didn't investigated case and decided to be on fraudster buyer side and took money out of my paypal account then I would threaten to take paypal to police and small claims court, it worked well for a seller Tim from Scotland. :)

I brought a small claims action (Scotland) a number of years ago and they settled the week before the case was to be heard; I had sold an unmarked iPod classic for circa. £150 - the buyer then claimed it was not as described and then promptly sent back a different, trashed iPod. He was then successful in his chargeback request. Paypal didn't even investigate my case, and the fact the buyer was operating two separate eBay accounts (one to buy [where he ripped people off] and another to sell). The week before the small claims date I received a cheque for the £150, court fees (£54) plus interest at 8% since the date of service. I knew they would settle as it is uneconomical for them to pay a solicitor to prepare the case then appear in person.

If you have been ripped off and Paypal haven't been diligent in investigating your case then I would not hesitate in bringing a small claims case against them - paypal are a complete nightmare and nearly always side with the buyer even when they are in the wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about Paypal's terms and conditions - they can say what they like, but it's up to a court/sheriff to decide whether they are fair or not. For £300 I suspect they won't even bother defending it. The annoying part is that whilst Paypal will recompense you, the "buyer" will probably not have to pay anything.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1555008

Both Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace are much worse with so many fakes items that did not existed doesn't protect you as a buyer or seller at all. If scammers tricked buyers and sellers to use bank transfers to avoid paypal when buyers and sellers foolish thought they can get full money back guarantee protection by their bank but unfortunately that was really not true so there are nothing banks can do to get full money back with bank transfer so both buyers and sellers will lose both item and money to scammers and fraudsters.

Soldato
paypal and ebay will completely ignore you - for the sake of £80 I couldn't be bothered, the number of hours it would take for the sake of £80 it works out about £3 an hour
now I just take cash only and don't pay any fees either

Soldato
I imagine the eBay staff reviewing the dispute cases are like Amazon warehouse staff. Alloted about 12 seconds to process each case and being whipped the whole time.

Associate

After doing all that have you ever had someone do what they are doing to the OP? From what I can tell non of what you do matters.

Associate
OP
Sorry for delay in updating you guys....
PayPal froze my account and demanded the full selling amount to be put back into my PayPal account as I was in a 'minus' figure, which I did. eBay then sided with the buyer. As I had refused to accept return, buyer was within eBay's rights to send back to me and charge me for shipping back. When I got it back, I fully checked it and it was the same one I'd sent, however buyer didn't send back the 2 molex power cables! Called eBay CS who said now I have received it back they will credit the buyer. I explained that it's missing the power cables now and he asked for photo evidence!!? I said you want me to send a picture of the cables missing! Madness. He then said I will have to call back the next day to complain that the buyer sent it back incomplete, but he still gets his money back straight away. I didn't bother doing that, and after testing the card again in my PC, it still works fine so I took it to CEX and sold it there. Also, eBay debited my debt card and not take the money from PayPal, so if I didn't have the funds I would have gone overdrawn too! And finally to top it all off the buyer has left negative feedback saying "delivery was late and item was faulty, not happy". Delivery was 2 day Parcelforce and the item wasn't faulty...

So, I was an eBay member for 17 years with 583 100% positive feedback, buyer is a member to just 2 years, 19 feedback at 76%.... and they sided with him, well I'm not going to sell anymore on eBay.

Permabanned
I only sell on Gumtree and only accept cash with pickup or direct deposit to my account pending receipt of funds, at which time I ship the goods registered post with sig required.

Paypal & ebay are an absolute no go.

Back
Top Bottom