AMD RYZEN 5000 SERIES 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X NOW ONLINE AT OcUK!!

Soldato
After being able to get a 5800X on launch day, if I had to go back and change the CPU I got then I would have gotten the 5600X. The 5600X is significantly easier to cool for one, the 5800X runs hotter than the 3 other currently available chips because of thermal density ( 5900X has a 105W TDP and the thermal load is split into 2 x 6 chiplets ) where as the 5800X has a 105W TDP contained in a single 1 x 8 chiplet. That's a lot of power being forced through one chiplet and thats why its harder to cool than the others. The 5600X's 65W TDP seems to fit this single chiplet design a lot better than the 5800X's 105W TDP and thus is a lot easier to cool, so unless you actually need the extra cores then I suggest you either get the 5600X or if you do need the extra cores then you should wait for a 5900X

Also there's 5600X's in stock here too :D

My 5800X is fine. You dont say what type of temps but mine idles around 35c and I've not seen it go over 65c in any games. Benchmarking with cinebench ups it to 78/79c but that was to be expected as it runs hotter. Its cooled by a Asus AIO Ryo 240 with the radiator at the front of my case so it gets cooler air and only has two fans pulling air.

Have you looked at this thread also https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...-all-cores-with-amd-curve-optimizer.18906071/

Associate
Yeah i've looked at the post and I got the 5800x's temp under control a while back using a combination of EDC/PPT/TDC limiting and curve optimizer settings.

I have however been keeping up with the 5800X issue of running hotter than the other SKU's and I ran into this explanation (Update: Stilt worked for asus and didnt make dram calc/clocktuner, thanks Gee for clarification)

This SKU has the highest intensity of the whole Ryzen 5000-series line-up, it being a single CCD SKU with a 142W default power limit, the same power limit that is normally given to CPUs which have two CCDs (i.e. twice the area to transfer the heat out from).

On top of that, it seems that higher SIDD (static leakage) silicon is more commonly found in this SKU, which makes it run even hotter in relation to silicon with lower leakage characteristics, even at the same exact power dissipation.

TLDR: The CPU die is so tiny relative to the amount of power it dissipates (i.e. high intensity), that you cannot effectively transfer the dissipated heat from the die to the ambient air (through the radiator), no matter if you are using the best custom loop money can buy.

It's physics and there is not much you can do about it. Improving the cooling helps to a point, but won't change the basic behavior, that is the result of extremely high intensity and maybe partially the higher leakage characteristics of the silicon that maybe tends to bit a bit higher in case of this specific SKU.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kn1wnj/ryzen_5800x_temps/

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah i've looked at the post and I got the 5800x's temp under control a while back using a combination of EDC/PPT/TDC limiting and curve optimizer settings.

I have however been keeping up with the 5800X issue of running hotter than the other SKU's and I ran into this explanation from the creator of the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and ClockTuner:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/kn1wnj/ryzen_5800x_temps/
The 5800X should have been dropped down to a 90w tdp CPU similar to how the 5600X was tuned down from 95>65w.

Gee

Gee

Soldato

I have however been keeping up with the 5800X issue of running hotter than the other SKU's and I ran into this explanation from the creator of the Ryzen DRAM Calculator and ClockTuner:

Stilt used to work for ASUS and he isn't the creator of the clocktuner/calculator.

Associate
Yup from Overclockers. Already posted a thread in customer service forum. Usually get a faster response than phoning. Much disappointment. Only the 2nd issue in 19 odd years using them so fingers crossed it'll be sorted fast as still my favourite company to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom