1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

AMD score huge DX11 contract with Dell

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Tom|Nbk, 21 Sep 2009.

1. Tom|Nbk

Capodecina

Mixed with

Sign of things to come?

2. PGdude

Wise Guy

That Dell will continue to sell at stupendously unjustified markup prices?

3. Broken Hope

Sgarrista

You missed

Not many cards left over for the rest of us. Don't see prices lowering for a while.

4. spicypixel

Hitman

So basically AMD is printing money on these cards? and that none will sit in a stock room long enough to get dusty lol

5. Tom|Nbk

Capodecina

Did you read any of it PGDude?!

AMD suffered a shortage of Athlon back in the day after they scored a similar deal hopefully the reports of shortages of the 5800's for the retail channel isn't related..

6. D13

Hitman

Good news for amd, there is certainly something appealing about a full amd/ati setup.

7. Perfect_Chaos

Mobster

Uh yeah, it looks like these guys really know what they are talking about.. even though Vista will be able to run DX11.

8. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

Good for AMD, but for us.

If the succeed with this venture then they can afford to up their prices :(

9. Yamahahahahaha

Mobster

Dell have their 'performance' brands to look after. They're going to need a lot of units in the channel to fill all of those massively marked up pieces of junk to flog to mugs...

10. D13

Hitman

yes but we cant hope ati fail out of concern for prices. The one big factor in prices is how fierce the competition is, as long as nvidia dominates in performance/market share, ati wont be able to let prices go too high.

I cant remmber where I read this but apparently ati wanted 4*** range to be cheaper so they could make a bigger impact on market share but the ati partners wanted prices to stay higher

11. dr4g0nf1y

Wise Guy

well I'd never buy a dell and if these cards are going into higher spec systems I don't know anyone who is that into games and not to know anything about computers and how bad dell are

12. Lightnix

Soldato

In the long run it might be good for us, even if we don't know it, just because it'd likely even out the marketshare between ATi and Nvidia closer to a 50/50 split, which means both companies would be playing on an even playing field - i.e. we'd likely see several huge price wars whilst they both try to gain dominance over one another at that tipping point.

13. PGdude

Wise Guy

Trust me, I read it, and I know it's a good thing for AMD/ATi, but Dell do overprice all of their products, y'know.

14. 5abr3

Gangster

I see f7 couldn't save the writer 'sauces'? oh dear... anyway, good news for AMD/ATi there, should speed up the uptake of DX11 now they have at least 1major retailer on their side building machines from the start, and I would image Microsoft are happy about that too with their migration to DX11 goals with Windows 7.

15. ac1d1ty

Wise Guy

Nothing wrong with Dell's imho. Obviously you are a complete mug if you buy it at their face value, but with loads of vouchers, workarounds etc, you can get quite a bit of pc fairly cheaply, often with a long ass warranty included.

Granted it won't appeal to the hardcore, eat my cpu overclockers, but its actually quite pleasant having to do bugger all if something goes wrong.

16. Gerard

Caporegime

I remember this happenning with the x800/x850, lot of rumours going around at the time that ati were flogging the vast majority to dell and letting consumers buy the leftovers.

17. Didaco

Gangster

am i the only on that spotted "sauces revealed that"

18. mame

Sgarrista

Look on the bright side. It could give PC gaming the push it needs if, all of a sudden, there was a new generation of gamers with good PCs

19. D1ngd0ng

Wise Guy

Didaco - there were a lot of kitchen references in that article

clearly clueless and not just for Win7 gaffe

20. D1ngd0ng

Wise Guy

dell would no doubt find a way to sell crappy pc's with great gfx cards mame