• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD score huge DX11 contract with Dell

Associate
Dell are utter utter filth. Go take alook at the range of "gaming" rigs they sell. Those stupid XPS & Alienware machines. Quad cores with a GTX 275 and charging upto £2,000. How on earth do they survive, you have to be a utter fool to buy with them. For that price i could easily get a CORE I7 & GTX 295 system with a few hundred to spare.

They seriosuly annoy me, blatant theft off the dumb. I look forward to the day it goes bust.

Caporegime
10% for the channel is more than enough, I just posted over on their forums literally just before checking this thread.

Simple fact is for every one of us here who will buy one and stick it in our computer, there are 1000, if not 10000 people who will buy a Dell with a gfx already in it and will never install a new card.

The channel doesn't need high allocation, its not a problem, a surprise, or a dumb thing to do.

If you were AMD would you go after John Doe buying one card off OCUK, or Dell, who want 3mil cards off you in the next 3 years? No idea why anyone would think otherwise.

The only issue is the fact that TSMC suck so we might not see a new batch all that quickly once stock runs out.

But its pretty much the standard for every launch, and everyone complains about lack of stock and thats simply how manufacturing goes.

Associate
10% for the channel is more than enough, I just posted over on their forums literally just before checking this thread.

Simple fact is for every one of us here who will buy one and stick it in our computer, there are 1000, if not 10000 people who will buy a Dell with a gfx already in it and will never install a new card.

The channel doesn't need high allocation, its not a problem, a surprise, or a dumb thing to do.

If you were AMD would you go after John Doe buying one card off OCUK, or Dell, who want 3mil cards off you in the next 3 years? No idea why anyone would think otherwise.

The only issue is the fact that TSMC suck so we might not see a new batch all that quickly once stock runs out.

But its pretty much the standard for every launch, and everyone complains about lack of stock and thats simply how manufacturing goes.

Well im sure Dell will offer a nice rig with one of these in it, at no more than £3,000...........bargain!!:rolleyes:

Associate
Whats with all the Dell hatred ?
Ive owned a few over the years and theyre still going. Granted the higher end rigs are quite overpriced - but so is their competition, and comparing them Dell's prices arent the worst. Apple still take the overpriced crown.

It is only a very small group of people who have the knowledge, time and understanding of how to build a computer. Its no surprise that AMD/ATi are leaning towards the mainstream market.

Associate
Whats with all the Dell hatred ?
Ive owned a few over the years and theyre still going. Granted the higher end rigs are quite overpriced - but so is their competition, and comparing them Dell's prices arent the worst. Apple still take the overpriced crown.

It is only a very small group of people who have the knowledge, time and understanding of how to build a computer. Its no surprise that AMD/ATi are leaning towards the mainstream market.

Eh yes they are vastly overpriced compared to it's rivals. You can go on 6-7 different sites, get a CUSTOM built gaming rig for 50% less than Dell price.

Im not talking about the office desktops, we talking about gaming rigs.

The prices are nothing short than robbery, for some poor fool who knows nothing on gaming rig prices, and sees Dell advert, he will be paying a extra £300-£400 for a computer.

Associate
Eh yes they are vastly overpriced compared to it's rivals. You can go on 6-7 different sites, get a CUSTOM built gaming rig for 50% less than Dell price.

Im not talking about the office desktops, we talking about gaming rigs.

The prices are nothing short than robbery, for some poor fool who knows nothing on gaming rig prices, and sees Dell advert, he will be paying a extra £300-£400 for a computer.

Custom built PCs like the ones OcUK supply are not competition for Dell. Yeah its great if people have a shop like this locally and know about it but theyre never gonna compete for the same market share. Manufacturers like HP/Compaq, Packard Bell, Acer etc. they are all massively overpriced because they are marketed at people who do not understand computers. EG - Acer 'Gaming desktop' with Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, 9600GT 512MB all for £1600. I make that roughly 285% of the components value. And a better Dell with screen costs £1000, at 123% of component value. Comparitively speaking they arent that bad.

Associate
This whole thing looks pretty good to me.

Lots of you have picked up on Dell being overpriced, i agree. But they buy cards from AMD before they get sold, so AMD get the money to begin with. This will definitely help them develop towards a phenom III, and get back in the running for the CPU crown.

As also mentioned, nVidia still have the performance crown, so ATi prices won't be able to go higher... People that know anything will go for nVidia if the price difference isn't much. If AMD sell loads to dell, they can afford to LOWER their prices, rather than raise them. This is good for everyone, as nVidia will have to lower theirs to compete better.

Also, i LOVE all the cooking analogies. Talking of garnishes, sauces and pie is making me hungry... still got a couple of hours till lunchtime :(

Caporegime
When you buy a PC like that from a large company like Dell, you are paying through the nose for the warranty and (usually) no messing about service they provide... to some that is worth more than the damn PC.

Associate
LMAO, I think this post is so Funny, Why you ask ?. Well, they are only just releasing games with DX10, never mind DX11. In my opinion DX10 has been a complete failure. Look how long DX10 has been around. We will have to wait another 18 months before its main stream, and by then ATI and nvidia will of released another 2 cards each.

Last edited:
Associate
dx10 was slow due to vista. with a slow takeup and dx10 games not working on xp - what else was expected?

dx11 works on win7 and vista and win7 is selling well. doubt it will take anywhere near as long as you made out tbh

Associate
Good news for AMD and also microsoft, AMD need badly cash so hopefully this deal will help them to be more competitive with the new intels what in the long term will benefit all of us including intel fanboys

Caporegime
LMAO, I think this post is so Funny, Why you ask ?. Well, they are only just releasing games with DX10, never mind DX11. In my opinion DX10 has been a complete failure. Look how long DX10 has been around. We will have to wait another 18 months before its main stream, and by then ATI and nvidia will of released another 2 cards each.

THe only issue is, you're COMPLETELY wrong, dx10 was cut back in spec just before release. Meaning much of the dx10 functionality was removed, almost all the improvements were gone and most importantly, for those game makers 1-3 years into making DX10 games, half the optimisations and improvements simply didn't work anymore.

The few games that came out with the original DX10 spec, which is basically DX10.1, ran some 15-20% faster under dx10.1 than dx10.

So had Nvidia had hardware, and DX10 spec was never scaled back, most games were designed to use it, gain a significant advantage and were ready to go.

Once the spec was dead and half of the stuff writen for DX10 literally couldn't work, DX10 was dead, its unsurprising companies didn't put a lot of effort into, adding extra particles without any extra optimisation. One of the few things left in meant particles had a lower overhead, so you could use a lot more, however more particles drawn = more processing to be done, this is fine when you gain a nice healthy speed boost, but with the speed boost parts of DX10 not there anymore, the particles were unusable, or in the few games that used them excessively, killed performance.

DX10 only failed because Nvidia screwed it, they made it a pointless thing, DX10 spec couldn't change and so the whole industry was stuck till dx11 came about.

DX11 ISN'T a minor upgrade, it will offer very real and tangible benefits, and because a bunch of the improvements in DX11, are there in DX10.1 also, which developers had originally started building games to 3 or more years ago, you'll see a VERy fast uptake to DX11, because coders are experienced in it, because DX10.1 has been around for ages and already makes a very decent difference and because there is a pretty major speed improvement in DX11, meaning theres a tangible reason for DEV's to put the effort in. Once DX10 was neutered, we were simply at the point it offered nothing at all over dx9, except extra cost an expense in more coding, more debugging and more support issues. Now there is a clear benefit to the extra effort, not to mention Windows 7 pre-orders are huge, people like it and most people will indeed go to Windows 7, so most people can use it aswell.

Its pretty simple, imagine you're a coder, someone comes up and says, rewrite this game to use DX10, but theres no reason to do so, its just hours and hours of work, for dozens of people, over months, for literally no benefit.

Then go up to them, tell them to use DX10, but tell them it will run 25-40% faster, so they've got far more power to play with, so as coders they can add more complexity and detail to scenes, they can really push the game further and do more things on the same hardware, they'll do the work, because theres a benefit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom