• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Server platform only, right? Or is this AMD's HEDT platform?
The latter, designed to compete with Intel's HEDT lineup, which is funny given that "little" Ryzen already does such a good job of that. It does have things like quad channel memory and lots more PCIe lanes though, plus a 4094-pin socket.

Soldato
I wonder how much X390 boards will cost? Also if they will do a 12c/24t version at £600ish or less... hmmm

If I was AMD,

$549 - 8C/16T
$799 - 12C/24T
$1099 - 16T/32T

or thereabouts.

Blow Intel away.

By way of comparison the 1800X is $499.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
This is all shaping up to be a very good H2 2017, as its going to be real competition in the CPU arena now on all levels.

Server platform only, right? Or is this AMD's HEDT platform?

No, Threadripper is AMDs HEDT platform while Naples is the server based platform. We should also expect to see 64 PCIe Lanes on AMD's HEDT's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Wish this was on x370 boards.

No there is no way 16C Ryzen can fit in AM4 socket, AM4 with 1331 pins was designed to use dual channel memory, max 95W TDP etc so it needed a massive new socket SP3 with 4094 pins to use quad channel memory, max 180W TDP, more PCIE lanes etc.

I think X390 SP3 motherboards will be very expensive.

Soldato
No there is no way 16C Ryzen can fit in AM4 socket, AM4 with 1331 pins was designed to use dual channel memory, max 95W TDP etc so it needed a massive new socket SP3 with 4094 pins to use quad channel memory, max 180W TDP, more PCIE lanes etc.

I think X390 SP3 motherboards will be very expensive.

I never looked into any of this but thanks. Indeed that is a massive socket increase. Along with the price increase I'm betting :p

Associate
What an epic name, finally some significant progress on the CPU front and so close to being released. 2017 interesting times for CPU's ....

Soldato
I'll be sticking with my 5820k for a while and see what happens AMD's side with CPU's, these would be monsters for rendering out video.

I think I'm more interested in seeing the IPC boost with Zen+ though, or are most expecting small gains there?

Permabanned
The latter, designed to compete with Intel's HEDT lineup, which is funny given that "little" Ryzen already does such a good job of that. It does have things like quad channel memory and lots more PCIe lanes though, plus a 4094-pin socket.

It certainly looks a lot more like Intels -e platform, I'm going to have a good read on what we now know tomorrow as I'm hoping there will be more than just a 16 thread cpu, a 10 or 12 core model would also be worth considering, especially if it can match the Ryzen 5 & 7 ipc performance.

Speaking of pcie lanes if anyone can link me to some good reading material on the 16 lane mainstream limit and motherboards that add extra lanes (I think that's possible) it would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom