• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Hi. whats the best cooler for threadripper 3960x that is 280mm AIO watercool?

I'm really not sure about what could be described as 'best', as any AIO that I know of that fits threadripper will have some level of deficiency. Enermax have the liqtech series of threadripper coolers including 280mm, which cover the whole of the large IHS but are known to have reliability problems and 'gunk' up after a short while, even months. Do not recommend this series at all.

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360i is bigger than the 280mm you mentioned, problems with that only it's base plate is adapted to the larger threadripper IHS but it doesn't appear the fins to transfer the heat do, thus cooling not as good. Plus more reviews talk about reliability problems.

I have tried a Deepcastle 360EX AIO with my 3960X, and like other better quality AIOs, it has no issues with reliability, but like ones from corsair and others they do not provide full coverage of the IHS and will not cool particularly well. I gave up and eventually bought a Noctua U14S TR4 air cooler. which cools better and runs quieter. Wish I did it ages ago.

Used 3970X are creeping down to the price I paid for my 3960X. Not that I need more cores, my VMware lab is running really well but I guess the test will come when I try a full scale VCF deployment on it.

Nice. I did toy with the idea about getting a 3970X but that would be sheer indulgence, i must resist. :p

Soldato
I'm really not sure about what could be described as 'best', as any AIO that I know of that fits threadripper will have some level of deficiency. Enermax have the liqtech series of threadripper coolers including 280mm, which cover the whole of the large IHS but are known to have reliability problems and 'gunk' up after a short while, even months. Do not recommend this series at all.

CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML360i is bigger than the 280mm you mentioned, problems with that only it's base plate is adapted to the larger threadripper IHS but it doesn't appear the fins to transfer the heat do, thus cooling not as good. Plus more reviews talk about reliability problems.

I have tried a Deepcastle 360EX AIO with my 3960X, and like other better quality AIOs, it has no issues with reliability, but like ones from corsair and others they do not provide full coverage of the IHS and will not cool particularly well. I gave up and eventually bought a Noctua U14S TR4 air cooler. which cools better and runs quieter. Wish I did it ages ago.

Nice. I did toy with the idea about getting a 3970X but that would be sheer indulgence, i must resist. :p

Cool thanks i will go with
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Soldato
Cool thanks i will go with
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

I've had no dramas with mine. It's well made, has a ton of heat pipes, full coverage base plate, and it matches or exceeds AIOs for cooling. Installing is a cinch. I idle around 40 to 50 degrees (the latter in this hot weather) and I've never seen over 90 degrees with power-virus loads (RealBench + FoldingAtHome + BOINC). In normal usage (even encoding etc) it's more like 60 to 70 degrees load. These temps are all the 'true' die temps, not the -10oC temps reported by some software and mobo OLEDs.

Soldato
I've had no dramas with mine. It's well made, has a ton of heat pipes, full coverage base plate, and it matches or exceeds AIOs for cooling. Installing is a cinch. I idle around 40 to 50 degrees (the latter in this hot weather) and I've never seen over 90 degrees with power-virus loads (RealBench + FoldingAtHome + BOINC). In normal usage (even encoding etc) it's more like 60 to 70 degrees load. These temps are all the 'true' die temps, not the -10oC temps reported by some software and mobo OLEDs.
Ok thanks
i have just ordered a 3960x, that noctua cooler, some ddr4 3600 domination rgb 64gb ram and asus rog zenith 2 extreme.

Why such an overkill system?

well i need the following

• 10gbit ethernet to stream video content to/from my other systems/servers.
  • multiple nvme slots pci 4 for future proofing(i will eventually just use nvme and maybe one 3.5 storage or 2.5ssd for storage/scratch disk.

This will be used for software development, photo/video editing and gaming.

Cheers and this is actually the first ever AMD system i have got.

Always been intel since intel pentium 4!!

Soldato
multiple nvme slots pci 4 for future proofing

Don't forget most of the decent boards support bifurcation of at least one of the PCI-E slots, so you can add up to four additional M.2 drives in an adapter card.

Cheers and this is actually the first ever AMD system i have got.

Well let's hope your first time isn't a painful one. :p

Associate

Do you know why this is? The Asus strix's nice little OLED provides an optimistic 10 degree difference compared to Ryzen Master. I always wondered why this is.

Does anyone know why there is such a limited range of AIOs for threadripper? Is it due to challenges around the asetek patents? perceived lack of demand? Why is it only Enermax released a full IHS and fin based for Threadripper?

Soldato
Do you know why this is? The Asus strix's nice little OLED provides an optimistic 10 degree difference compared to Ryzen Master. I always wondered why this is.

Does anyone know why there is such a limited range of AIOs for threadripper? Is it due to challenges around the asetek patents? perceived lack of demand? Why is it only Enermax released a full IHS and fin based for Threadripper?

Yeah, the Asus OLED is monitoring the silicon/package temp (I forget which), and the +10oC temps are the on-die temps. The actual CPU die is obviously going to be hotter than the area around it, as it's the die doing the actual work. It's a bit like measuring the temperature of a fire versus the building next door to the fire. I wish/hope Asus will put a UEFI option in to switch the OLED between the two temps, as the die temp is obviously more important (it's the one with the 95oC limit).

As for coolers... Pancake. I guess the type of HEDT customers normally buying this will either be pushing air (reliability in industrial/commercial settings) or enthusiasts running custom water.

Soldato
Asrock Rack introduces TRX40D8-2N2T server grade ATX motherboard. Features include:

Threadripper 3000 series support
Supports up to 256GB ECC DDR4 3200MHz 1.2v
Real server grade VRM
No chipset or VRM fan, proper heat sinks
3x PCIe gen 4 slots at x16
1x PCIe gen 4 slots at x8
Dual Intel 10Gbe ports plus dual Intel 2.5Gbe ports
ASPEED IPMI+display+iKVM chip
2x NVMe slots
All the power connectors in one corner :D

No pricing announced yet, but this is one sweet board. Almost perfect! Shame it's only just becoming available, I'd have had this over blingy faux-high-end RGB tat any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Might swap to it if the price is right.

BYCioIe.jpg

Soldato
Hi all. Does anyone have this board? > asus rog zenith 2 extreme

It seems that it has 3 eATx 12v connectors on the motherboard with two of them being 8pin and the other 6 pin.

My PSU is a Corsaid gold 850w AX and it doesnt have an extra connector to connect an additional 8pin or 6pin into the motherboard?

Does it need all 3 eATX connectors to be connected?

Could i use instead a PCI-E connector on the 6 pin 12v one? MY PSU has a spare slot to connect only another additonal pci e power connector but no room to connect anpther 8pin connector to he mobo..

My PSU is modular

Back
Top Bottom