• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Man of Honour
I'd recommend doing a manual overclock to 4.3 or 4.4 Ghz and keeping the voltage around 1.3V. On default the voltage can get quite high and this pushes the temps up.

Soldato
8 channel threadripper seems unlikely. Board + chip would end up costing about the same as the current epyc chips. Since it would basically be one.
Some Epyc chips and boards are cheaper than the current gen TR - so I don't see any reason why they couldn't do this. Intel offer HCC fast parts with larger memory limits than current TR for workstations - and 256GB of RAM is probably a bit of a low limit when you can have 64 cores anyway :D

Man of Honour
To be honest 256GB of RAM for my purposes is pushing it a little bit. Given the amount of cores I have (24) I could easily run a lab that would consume another 100GB or so.

Part of me has thought about buying a 2U server with an EPYC chip and downsizing the desktop but it's just expense for expenses sake.

Soldato
To be honest 256GB of RAM for my purposes is pushing it a little bit. Given the amount of cores I have (24) I could easily run a lab that would consume another 100GB or so.

Part of me has thought about buying a 2U server with an EPYC chip and downsizing the desktop but it's just expense for expenses sake.
What do you need 256gb ram for? I use 64gb atm but will upgrade it to 128 next month pay day

Soldato
I'm having this same problem at the mo - though on a 1950x and 64gb RAM. Some stuff like big mysql dbs (relative to vm memory) I've been able to use faster storage to reduce memory footprint - but it's not ideal and you can only do it for certain types of things.

My plan is build a few smaller Ryzen machines to supplement the main box, so far I've built 1 compact machine from spares and clearance/second hand bits (Ryzen 1700, 32gb ram) - but unless you can get bits cheap it's better value to get a single bigger box I find.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having this same problem at the mo - though on a 1950x and 64gb RAM. Some stuff like big mysql dbs (relative to vm memory) I've been able to use faster storage to reduce memory footprint - but it's not ideal and you can only do it for certain types of things.

My plan is build a few smaller Ryzen machines to supplement the main box, so far I've built 1 compact machine from spares and clearance/second hand bits (Ryzen 1700, 32gb ram) - but unless you can get bits cheap it's better value to get a single bigger box I find.
ummm so maube its cheaper to have it all in one box with 256gm ram or more ??

Back
Top Bottom