• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
^^ Glad to hear it. I'm feeling even better about my build after replacing my AIO with the Noctua, it's quieter now.

I will have a ProSiphon Elite to try out in September, will see how that performs and report back.

Soldato
I have a 1950x @ 4Ghz with an AIO, it's been running perfectly fine for the last 2 years but was thinking of upgrading

i'm a bit out of touch with the current gen / upcoming stuff, is there anything that will see a significant performance gain or shall I just hang on it to it

occasional gaming / media

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I went 1950x > 2950x > 3960x. Don't regret any upgrades. Note though if you go 3xxx series you need a new mobo as well. If you don't want to upgrade the mobo, it's 2xxx series only and I don't think that would make sense as you could go 3950x + mobo for the cost of a 2950x and get better performance. 2950x would only make sense if you got a good deal (<400) on a second hand one. I wouldn't go 2970wx or 2990wx personally due to the scheduling issue they have and lower boost clocks.

TLDR: If you are a Threadripper aficionado, get a 3960x and new mobo.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 1950x @ 4Ghz with an AIO, it's been running perfectly fine for the last 2 years but was thinking of upgrading

i'm a bit out of touch with the current gen / upcoming stuff, is there anything that will see a significant performance gain or shall I just hang on it to it

occasional gaming / media
I'm in the same boat. Disappointed that TR4 doesn't support the newer cpus but I think if I'm upgrading I won't get a threadripper this time but maybe a Ryzen 5900x 12core.
I'm also thinking if we don't sell soon then the 1950x is on the verge of becoming worth peanuts, especially if there's a Ryzen 7 coming that could beat it in multi threaded apps.

Soldato
Threadripper 1st gen is already worth very little tbh.

I think the best bet for non-gamers from an upgrade POV is probably to get a Epyc P series if they're on 1st gen TR. If you game and AM4 gives enough lanes for the rest of the stuff then that's probably sufficient.

Third gen TR is an expensive platform to get into - very much worth it if you have the right workload for it, but I don't think it's the bargain that 1st gen TR offered (it really stood alone when it was released - but the landscapes changed since then)

Associate
I'm in the same boat. Disappointed that TR4 doesn't support the newer cpus but I think if I'm upgrading I won't get a threadripper this time but maybe a Ryzen 5900x 12core.
I'm also thinking if we don't sell soon then the 1950x is on the verge of becoming worth peanuts, especially if there's a Ryzen 7 coming that could beat it in multi threaded apps.
I'm in the same boat with the 1950x, I'd have to agree with BogoHunter that our processors aren't worth that much because of the chipsets becoming outdated and the newer processors having significantly improved latency and IPC. I've learnt my lesson too, especially since AMD no longer offer a compelling price point / upgrade path for non-professional Threadripper chips. I too will be going for standard Ryzen top core count in future.

Associate
I'm loving the world TR3, for me going from 3900X to 3960X was great in terms of processing power and the hardware I can put in it.

But with Zen 3 around the corner, the likes of 5900X and 5950X will provide all the single and multithreaded performance most people, even power users, will need. It's quite clear that AMD were adamant, there was no need for a 16 core TR3 when the 3950X existed. So I can't blame you, and an 5950X and a x570 will still be cheaper than buying into TR3. I wonder how close a 5950X can get to the 3960X in certain workloads.

Associate
It's quite clear that AMD were adamant, there was no need for a 16 core TR3 when the 3950X existed. So I can't blame you, and an 5950X and a x570 will still be cheaper than buying into TR3.

Yet AMD released 3955WX 16 core and 3945WX 12 core TR3, they of course call it something else, which is a real **** take particularly as there was no need for the shift to TRX40 for these smaller processors, they could have released then on x399 without issue, forgoing PCIe 4 and 8 channels RAM of course, they chose not too.

If they put a cheaper 16/12 core chips in TRX40, I would have snapped it up as the TRX40 boards represent far better value than any highend x570 board but they have decided the average Joe doesn't need that. A very Intel move from AMD with false segmentation.

Man of Honour
I think I'm going to be getting rid of my 3960X, board and most of the RAM. Using my PC as an ESXi host, while great, is just too much of a faff dual booting all of the time. I need something that's on 24/7 so I think I'm going to go down the server route and probably head back to Intel as my PC is only ever used for gaming. I do productivity stuff on my Mac. Also the noise of the chipset fan drives me crazy!

Man of Honour
Quiet server I hope if you don't like the chipset fan noise already. Also seems premature going Intel, when they are about to be relegated to second place. ;)
I honestly don't know what to do, I change my mind daily. I guess I figure if I sold the 3960X now I should not lose as much compared to when the new ones are released. The server would be rack mounted in a room where my NAS is, plus 2U ones are quiet especially the new generations.

Soldato
I honestly don't know what to do, I change my mind daily. I guess I figure if I sold the 3960X now I should not lose as much compared to when the new ones are released. The server would be rack mounted in a room where my NAS is, plus 2U ones are quiet especially the new generations.

Why not just dump the Threadripper gear into a 2U solution yourself, depending on how much you could get for it?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

New Asus Rog Strix TRX40-E Gaming bios:-

ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING BIOS 1402
- Support Resize Bar function
- Improve DRAM performance and stability
- Improve USB device compatibility

Had no idea Resize bar was coming to TRX40 - will have to test later :)

Back
Top Bottom