• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD X2 AM2 5000+

Soldato
So you had a go at me and you're now asking what I said in my post?

And the fact you were asking about the release date of a high end CPU lead me to believe that you were considering it for an upgrade. All I did was direct you to Conroe. You seemed as if you were wanting or going to buy a 5000x2 and all I wanted to do was let you know that it wouldn't be a decent purchase.

You made such a big deal about this thread going off topic because of me.. And now you've changed the topic to what I stated in my post.. :o

Soldato
easyrider has a engineering sample which goes far past the retail ones, i recall seeing a thread a few weeks back and the retail ones didn't have as good stepping or somet, not sure how true it was.

Soldato
Yeah I'd go along with that, but I think with the next gen motherboard arriving September/October time iirc :confused: you should see them clocking bit nicer than they did on the old boards. But yeah, the retail ones won't go as far.. yet... But the beauty of it is.. They don't need to. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The thread has gone off topic and everyone is arguing.

The question the OP asked has been answered, and theres no more to add, why can't everyone just leave it at that or take up problems with a moderator, before this thread ends up somewhere where it shouldnt.

Associate
naffa said:
All I did was direct you to Conroe. You seemed as if you were wanting or going to buy a 5000x2 and all I wanted to do was let you know that it wouldn't be a decent purchase.

just for the record, why wouldn't it be a decent purchase?
You don't know the OP's upgrade habits or his budget for such upgrades. For those with small and infrequent or small and fairly frequent budgets, AM2 will quoite possibly be the BEST purchase.
A 5000+ is not going to be slow by any stretch of the imagination, especially if you do not intend to overclock. If not overclocking then AMD is still fairly competetive with Intel. By september, 65nm X2s will be on the horizon and AMD should be even more competetive.

I am going to be buying about the same time as the OP and am seriously considdering going for AMD simply for the reasons i stated above. A small and fairly infrequent upgrade budget. Being able to keep an AM2 mobo and upgrade the CPU for the next 2/3 years before swapping to a DDR3 mobo and ram. Sounds very tempting to me.

Soldato
The OP didn't say anything about when he was upgrading or anything about his budget patterns etc. So that is a fair point. But at the moment, which is when he made the thread, Conroe is the best CPU on the market.. And for so cheap. If you're willing to spend £230 on a 5000x2, and that is because of your budget patterns then why go for the E6300 or E6400 and clock? All I was saying is that if you are buying a new PC now then Conroe is faster and better value than AMD atm.

Btw, after you say whatever you want to, can we leave this now?

Soldato
OP
I know I'm going more off my original topic, but considering it's just been mentioned and does have relevance I'm going to ask...

How much future ability do the E6300/E6400 and the system they would run with have? Does anybody know if the next Intel chip is going to be the same mobo?

I don't often upgrade, so I am trying to go for something that will last about 4 years (long stretch I know), but I don't play many games (BF2 and others randomly), mostly use it for media purposes and the web.
Due to the AM2's board being compatable with the next CPU out in Q1/2 2007 it does seem like a wise choice as then if I want to get a new CPU in a years time I can easily.
If Intel is also keeping the current pin layout and compatability it probably is best to go for the Conroe.

Cheers for the headsup naffa, didn't mean to be quite so rude about it all.

:)

InvG

Associate
naffa said:
The OP didn't say anything about when he was upgrading or anything about his budget patterns etc. So that is a fair point. But at the moment, which is when he made the thread, Conroe is the best CPU on the market.. And for so cheap. If you're willing to spend £230 on a 5000x2, and that is because of your budget patterns then why go for the E6300 or E6400 and clock? All I was saying is that if you are buying a new PC now then Conroe is faster and better value than AMD atm.

Btw, after you say whatever you want to, can we leave this now?

well budget and upgrade patterns can be quite complicated. In the end, with roadmaps changing quite often and the like, going with AM2 is more of a gamble but could pay off nicely in the future, getting an E6300/E6400 might save £100 now but has the potential to cost a lot more in the future, if i was getting a conroe i would go for the best i can afford.
Other than that, i agree on both counts.
I don't mean it to seem as though i am having a go at you, i just felt the OP had a valid point and as such could do with a bit of support :)

As for the upgrade path for Conroe and the motherboards... i have NO idea other than that Kentsfield (non-native quad core, ie: 2 conroes stuck together on a die) is meant to be supported so you can just drop one in to the current conroe mobo's. After that i am not sure if there is any information. I have not looked in to it yet. Maybe another, clearly defined thread would be good for this. I will certainly be looking for info soon as if there is a good upgrade path then i'll have to toss a coin between a 4200+ or a E6400 :)

Caporegime
Kamakazie! said:
I will certainly be looking for info soon as if there is a good upgrade path then i'll have to toss a coin between a 4200+ or a E6400 :)

even if the current 975x mobo's support quad.What does it mean?

The quads will cost an arm and a leg.

In basic terms the conroe 6300 with a nice clock will keep amd's wolves from the door for such a long time.

Suggesting that one makes an upgrade path due to mobo compatibilty is ludicrous.

mobo's dont cost that much...they are easily changed and quite frankly disposable.

sell your mobo and buy another for little loss.Its the gfx cards and the ram that we keep.

Associate
easyrider said:
even if the current 975x mobo's support quad.What does it mean?

The quads will cost an arm and a leg.

In basic terms the conroe 6300 with a nice clock will keep amd's wolves from the door for such a long time.

Suggesting that one makes an upgrade path due to mobo compatibilty is ludicrous.

mobo's dont cost that much...they are easily changed and quite frankly disposable.

sell your mobo and buy another for little loss.Its the gfx cards and the ram that we keep.

but a decent mobo is gonna cost MORE than a 3800+ or a 4200+ or an E6300 and about the same as the RAM so no they are not really "disposable" as you say. It is not at all ludicrous. Quad cores will initially be very expensive but by the end of 2007 they will no doubt be very affordable. If you then have £250 to spend on an upgrade, with AM2 you will be able to get a quad core GPU and slot it in to your current mobo, which you can upgrade along with the RAM the next time you get a few hundred quid to spend.
it is not ludicrous at all for those on a tight budget. Just because you can afford to treat mobo's as "disposable" doesn't mean everyone else can.

Soldato
I too don't know what to do for the best, month and a half before conroe came out a m8 offerd me a 1 time deal on my P4 stuff, that payed for the 3800 am2 and mobo i already had the ddr2 ram.

Now do i for example put a x2 4600 in or flog the mobo/cpu and start again with conroe decisions decisions.

Back
Top Bottom