AMD X570 Hardware has changed

Associate
Hi Overclockers!

Now I am in desperate need of your help, I keep having this issue with my pc (See links at the bottom). Every week or so my PC will get stuck in a loop where it thinks there is new hardware in my machine even though nothing has changed. This will loop for a while before I can get it to boot, entering the bios will show even more strangeness for example detecting both 8gb sticks but only displaying a total of 8gb RAM or detecting a single stick but showing a total of 16gb. Now this will happen with XMP enabled or disabled.

So far, the trouble shooting I have done is send my Motherboard, RAM, and CPU to be tested; they call came back with no issues found (Motherboard and RAM tested by Overclockers, CPU Tested by Scan Computers). My GPU has been used in an Intel system and has zero issues, so I suspect this is not causing any issues. I also purchased a PSU tester to make sure that does not have any issues, again that is fine. I have also tried changing CMOS battery (though it was the one from my old i7 build so quite an old one) but the problem still persists.

Please see the two-video links to show the issues and the imgur album, please I will happily take any advice right now.

PC Specs 

AMD 3900x Stock 

MSI MEG X570 ACE 

AMD 5700xt Red Devil

16gb (2x8gb) 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance (Ryzen Tuned) 

EVGA GQ 850w 

1tg Sandisk SSD

1tb Seagate HDD

2x 500gb WD HDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9OvXc6M2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhxdT3_U0-E

https://imgur.com/a/EUzVXwq

Associate
OP
@orbitalwalsh
I am running the latest bios, this issue happened before and after I updated it.

I have ordered a brand new cmos battery which should arrive today, to see if that works. But Honeslty need a second opinion on what could be causing this.

Associate
I had this problem with my Meg Ace and it only got worse over time. The CMOS will clear itself and it will think there is new hardware on cold boot. Send it back and stay very, very, very far away from the Meg Ace. I went through 2 of them (one with this cold boot issue that you have) and another came with a corrupted bios. There is no way to correct this issue that I know of and I do know others on here have had a similar problem.

Edit: I have a 3900x too.

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh
I am running the latest bios, this issue happened before and after I updated it.

I have ordered a brand new cmos battery which should arrive today, to see if that works. But Honeslty need a second opinion on what could be causing this.

Never had a problem with my X570 ACE, ive had it since release, there is an option in the bios, I think its in the OC menu, close to the bottom, "memory change detect" set it to disabled, see if that helps, sounds like a ram or CPU mem controller problem to me though, have you tried running memtest overnight on it ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Jamin280672 I will have a look at that, I had a new CMOS battery arrive today and it managed to boot to bios and save the settings first time without any errors, I will keep this post updated though with any changes as this has happened before it appears to be working then will break after a few days.

Soldato
@Jamin280672 I will have a look at that, I had a new CMOS battery arrive today and it managed to boot to bios and save the settings first time without any errors, I will keep this post updated though with any changes as this has happened before it appears to be working then will break after a few days.

another thing I noticed in your 12min vid, your GPU, although you have 2 power cables going into it, are those just extensions or are they 2 separate power cables from the PSU ? AMD cards for some reason dont like running power off 1 cable to two plugs, lots of people have strange problems doing that, make sure you are using 2 separate power connectors from the PSU.

Associate
OP
another thing I noticed in your 12min vid, your GPU, although you have 2 power cables going into it, are those just extensions or are they 2 separate power cables from the PSU ? AMD cards for some reason dont like running power off 1 cable to two plugs, lots of people have strange problems doing that, make sure you are using 2 separate power connectors from the PSU.

They are two extensions cables connected to two separate power-cables, they are new though this problem pre-dates the cables. I did it out of habit but thank you for the advice!

Associate
Disabling the "detect new hardware" should solve the issue for a time but eventually it will get worse. I am trying to remember where you find it in the MSI bios, I believe you have to enable advanced mode or something to access the menu.

By the way, this problem you are experiencing is not only a MSI problem, there have been other people reporting the same issue with other manufactures and all of them are on the x570 platform. All I can tell you is that in my experience the problem will eventually get worse to the point that it will happen every boot.

Associate
OP
Disabling the "detect new hardware" should solve the issue for a time but eventually it will get worse. I am trying to remember where you find it in the MSI bios, I believe you have to enable advanced mode or something to access the menu.

By the way, this problem you are experiencing is not only a MSI problem, there have been other people reporting the same issue with other manufactures and all of them are on the x570 platform. All I can tell you is that in my experience the problem will eventually get worse to the point that it will happen every boot.

Definitely noted, I purchased it through Overclockers and spoke to them today. So if it happens again they can sort something out.

Soldato

Yes its in the OC menu, first change the top selection option to expert mode and then it will appear close to the bottom.

Also something else ive noticed is you are in CSM mode, if your boot drive with windows on it is in a UEFI partition mode, the PC wont boot, it will throw you back into the bios, kind of like its doing, however, I also noticed that you have all 4 of your SATA drives enabled as boot devices, so go into the boot menu, and disable all drives except the one that actually has Windows on it, this will speed up the post process to as it wont have to scan all the drives for a boot partition.

Associate
Definitely noted, I purchased it through Overclockers and spoke to them today. So if it happens again they can sort something out.

Aye, I did the same but on top of 2 bad motherboards I had some bad luck with other hardware too. OC and I played shipping tag for a while but we eventually got all the bad hardware out. What ****** me off the most was after OC agreed to replace the motherboard the new one they sent me was DOA (not OC fault). I spent about 2-3 months troubleshooting/replacing to get a working system.

Associate
OP
Yes its in the OC menu, first change the top selection option to expert mode and then it will appear close to the bottom.

Also something else ive noticed is you are in CSM mode, if your boot drive with windows on it is in a UEFI partition mode, the PC wont boot, it will throw you back into the bios, kind of like its doing, however, I also noticed that you have all 4 of your SATA drives enabled as boot devices, so go into the boot menu, and disable all drives except the one that actually has Windows on it, this will speed up the post process to as it wont have to scan all the drives for a boot partition.

So interestingly I just gave this a go, shut down my PC. Turned it back on and got the hardware change notice again, went into bios and everything was exactly the same so I applied your settings as adviced. Rebooted and went straight into windows.

Aye, I did the same but on top of 2 bad motherboards I had some bad luck with other hardware too. OC and I played shipping tag for a while but we eventually got all the bad hardware out. What ****** me off the most was after OC agreed to replace the motherboard the new one they sent me was DOA (not OC fault). I spent about 2-3 months troubleshooting/replacing to get a working system.

That does not sound fun, hopefully if I have to resort to that it doesn't take months to resolve. But hopefully it helps I have documented exactly whats going on so fingers crossed!

Soldato
So interestingly I just gave this a go, shut down my PC. Turned it back on and got the hardware change notice again, went into bios and everything was exactly the same so I applied your settings as adviced. Rebooted and went straight into windows.

LOL and I just did you a video of my settings to try and help you out, I was just about to upload it to youtube.........how rude lol :D:D:D

Glad its working mate.

Associate
OP
LOL and I just did you a video of my settings to try and help you out, I was just about to upload it to youtube.........how rude lol :D:D:D

Glad its working mate.

Haha, you're instructions were so clear and easy pal!
Again I will keep this forum updated if anything changes! Thank you for the tips :D

Man of Honour
Hi Overclockers!

Now I am in desperate need of your help, I keep having this issue with my pc (See links at the bottom). Every week or so my PC will get stuck in a loop where it thinks there is new hardware in my machine even though nothing has changed. This will loop for a while before I can get it to boot, entering the bios will show even more strangeness for example detecting both 8gb sticks but only displaying a total of 8gb RAM or detecting a single stick but showing a total of 16gb. Now this will happen with XMP enabled or disabled.

So far, the trouble shooting I have done is send my Motherboard, RAM, and CPU to be tested; they call came back with no issues found (Motherboard and RAM tested by Overclockers, CPU Tested by Scan Computers). My GPU has been used in an Intel system and has zero issues, so I suspect this is not causing any issues. I also purchased a PSU tester to make sure that does not have any issues, again that is fine. I have also tried changing CMOS battery (though it was the one from my old i7 build so quite an old one) but the problem still persists.

Please see the two-video links to show the issues and the imgur album, please I will happily take any advice right now.

PC Specs 

AMD 3900x Stock 

MSI MEG X570 ACE 

AMD 5700xt Red Devil

16gb (2x8gb) 3600Mhz Corsair Vengeance (Ryzen Tuned) 

EVGA GQ 850w 

1tg Sandisk SSD

1tb Seagate HDD

2x 500gb WD HDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9OvXc6M2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhxdT3_U0-E

https://imgur.com/a/EUzVXwq

Power supply new or from the old build. Ive had weird issues like this with a failing supply before.

Associate
OP
Just an update, so machine has been going okay. I launched Doom and the entire PC shutdown then came back-on

*Edit
I've also re-checked my Powersupply voltages via a tester I have, uploaded the results to imgur.

-12V = 12.1
+12V2 = 11.8
5VSB = 5.0
+5V = 4.9
+12V1 = 11.8
+3.3V = 3.3
PG = 300MS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom