• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

17% IPC gain with 100-200mhz gain... Sensational really.

Add that to the fact that games will become more core dependent next year and programs utilizing higher cores, AMD is going to get an even bigger lead on Intel.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I'm in two minds, will I need this? Will I buy a game like cyberpunk or some other game in 2020 and think, ahhh my 3700X is grinding to a halt I need more power????

3700x is definitely more than capable, depends on what GPU you have though

Associate
OP
I'm in two minds, will I need this? Will I buy a game like cyberpunk or some other game in 2020 and think, ahhh my 3700X is grinding to a halt I need more power????

Although I will upgrade to a 4000 series CPU, it won't be on launch, it will likely to be 6 months to a year later as this will be the last CPU that can be used in the AM4 socket. As Praz94 said, at least for gaming the 3700X should last you a good long while. The GPU is more likely to need to be updated before the CPU.

Associate
End of 2020 last I heard.

Twice the FPU and twice the L3 cache. Sounds very promising for taking the last Intel stronghold, games.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I see so current socket is AM4, been a very long time since I’ve had a AMD mobo!

I’ll wait till AM5 is out then till I upgrade. No point investing in a EOL platform.

By that time Intel might be king again although I’d like to swap to AMD for a change.

Time will tell, I’m not desperate to upgrade.

What current kit are you running?

Though its perfectly reasonable that if you aren't in a rush to upgrade soon that you can wait for AM5 to release. Next year chips (the last on AM4) will be insane though. Rumoured 17% IPC increase and extra 100-200mhz clock speed increase as well

Soldato
DDR5 seems a good call and probably PCIE5, sure I'd read that nVidia were looking to make use of the extra bandwidth for some AI functions.

I thought it was named that way, I.E. AM2 = DDR2, AM3=DDR3 AM4=DDR4, AM5=DDR5.. I remember reading that years back but not sure if it's 100% that way.

Caporegime
If this is true Zen 3 will have a solid 30% higher IPC than Coffeelake, add to that clock speeds of 4.6Ghz all core and 4.8Ghz single Intel will need to be running over 6Ghz just to keep up per core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom