• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
where are the Rocket lake laptops? The 4900HX is a laptop cpu no point comparing against a desktop cpu no?

Its a 5800X vs a HP Omen Desktop with what will be the 11900K.

The 5900HX is Zen 3, Ice Lake is last gen, Rocket Lake is next gen, that's what Intel will release for Desktop early next year to go against Zen 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check out my 5800X Build >>> https://streamable.com/2fykzw

Gigabyte B450 Beta BIOS FTW !!

Yeah boi, big uplift from 3700X. Great temps !!

Can't ask for much more.

R7 5800X
GTX 1080 Ti (Borrowed)
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RGB G.Skill
2TB Adata NVME
Plenty of spinners HDD.
Fractal Node 804

Now I just need a new GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
After admitting Zen 3 is 20% faster in games than Intel using a 3080 and the reason their results don't show that is because they are using a slower 2080TI they go and use a 2080TI again.

What are TPU playing at?
I wish people wouldnt do things like this it confuses people like me who aren't very up to speed with tech but are looking to buy !¬

Associate
I wish people wouldnt do things like this it confuses people like me who aren't very up to speed with tech but are looking to buy !¬

It's how a lot of 'we are x% better than our main competitor' type things work too sadly, confuses people who aren't good with stats or who don't look at the small print where it shows 'only under extremely specific conditions where of course this would be the case'... it's semi fraudulent and tbh probably not allowable on tv/mainstream advertisement but youtube isn't held to the same standards.

Caporegime
I'm eagerly awaiting any zen 3 non x news
Yeah, just imagine how many sales AMD are going to lose if they cant fulfil all of the X orders before the non-X are released. Many people will just cancel their X orders and buy the cheaper non-X ones.

Think I will stick with the 5900x order though... I doubt a 5900 non-X will be released.

Associate
It's how a lot of 'we are x% better than our main competitor' type things work too sadly, confuses people who aren't good with stats or who don't look at the small print where it shows 'only under extremely specific conditions where of course this would be the case'... it's semi fraudulent and tbh probably not allowable on tv/mainstream advertisement but youtube isn't held to the same standards.
yeah there is that too!

Caporegime
Arrived today, ordered yesterday :)
Lucky barsteward... enjoy! :D

The 5600x was in stock locally to me yesterday but I resisted and am holding out for the 5900x. I will be keeping it until DDR5 has fully matured, maybe 3 years of thereabouts, so I want something with some power to scale into the future. :)

Soldato
Sigh, the only 5000 series CPU I can see in stock anywhere is the 5950X at OCUK for £859... yeah I don't think so.

Roll on Intel's launch, the 11900k should retake the gaming performance crown and should actually have stock. Intel have their own fabs, 15 of them, producing almost a million wafers per month. Meanwhile, TSMC are drip feeding AMD wafers and ramping up their price. AMD have no-where else to go to, so I expect we may see price increases in the coming months!

Caporegime
Sigh, the only 5000 series CPU I can see in stock anywhere is the 5950X at OCUK for £859... yeah I don't think so.

Roll on Intel's launch, the 11900k should retake the gaming performance crown and should actually have stock. Intel have their own fabs, 15 of them, producing almost a million wafers per month. Meanwhile, TSMC are drip feeding AMD wafers and ramping up their price. AMD have no-where else to go to, so I expect we may see price increases in the coming months!
Yeah, I think that people are really overestimating the damage AMD have done to Intel at the moment. If AMD had supplied CPU's by the bucketload then there would be a big problem, but the fact that stock is so scarce mean that people are still crying out to upgrade their rigs and Intel will be able to exploit this when Rocket Lake is released and the benchmarks come rolling in. If Intel can ,atch or exceed Zen3 in single core and gaming performance and throw in some very aggressive pricing then I think that they will get a lot of sales that AMD would otherwise have had if they had been able to meet demand.

Soldato
ROFL. :D

Intel having stock at launch, they haven't done that since the 7700K, non of the high end parts, from the 8700K onwards it has been a complete **** show.

11900K 8c/16t with a price of £450 they can't be priced lower than AMD or they will be called the value brand. ;)

Soldato
ROFL. :D

Intel having stock at launch, they haven't done that since the 7700K, non of the high end parts, from the 8700K onwards it has been a complete **** show.

11900K 8c/16t with a price of £450 they can't be priced lower than AMD or they will be called the value brand. ;)

There's been decent availability of all i7/i9 at launch or very soon after. Sure some retailers ran out of stock, though the huge ones out there always had stock on hand. Would be interesting to see Gibbo's numbers for the launch/stock of 6700k, 7700k, 8700k, 9900k, 10700 and 10900k - probably x10 more than AMD's Ryzen 5000 series stock.

Did you read the recent news about TSMC increase prices for their wafers? Wonder how AMD will handle this, price increases, or just losing margin on each sale.

Soldato
I'll believe that when I see it. AMD aren't producing anywhere near the needed supply right now. Jan is just around the corner.

AMD can't physically produce anything, they had to sell all their fabs (where wafers that eventually become CPU's are made) are produced. They are entirely at TSMC's mercy - AMD send them the chip design, TSMC print the wafers. If you check recent news, TSMC have realized the monopoly they have on the best process and have raised prices. Apple, Intel and all the other big players are trying to buy as many wafers as they can from TSMC.

Also remember AMD are contractually obligated to prioritize console APU's (PS5, XBOX Series X/S etc) over CPU/GPU - this explains the paper launch this has been.

Soldato
Check out my 5800X Build >>> https://streamable.com/2fykzw

Gigabyte B450 Beta BIOS FTW !!

Yeah boi, big uplift from 3700X. Great temps !!

Can't ask for much more.

R7 5800X
GTX 1080 Ti (Borrowed)
16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RGB G.Skill
2TB Adata NVME
Plenty of spinners HDD.
Fractal Node 804

Now I just need a new GPU.

Big uplifts? Gaming?

Even though I can afford it I cant justify spending £400 on a new CPU when my current one is just fine.

Caporegime
AMD can't physically produce anything, they had to sell all their fabs (where wafers that eventually become CPU's are made) are produced. They are entirely at TSMC's mercy - AMD send them the chip design, TSMC print the wafers. If you check recent news, TSMC have realized the monopoly they have on the best process and have raised prices. Apple, Intel and all the other big players are trying to buy as many wafers as they can from TSMC.

Also remember AMD are contractually obligated to prioritize console APU's (PS5, XBOX Series X/S etc) over CPU/GPU - this explains the paper launch this has been.
I'm fairly sure most people here know AMD are fabless.

It's an AMD "product" therefore AMD "produce" them. Produce doesn't mean manufacture, necessarily. Different words, different meaning ;)

In any case, people have said AMD will be able to supply these at a rate than exceeds demand in Jan. I said, "I'll believe it when I see it" :p Looking at the shops which display info such as, "There are xxx people browsing this page," the figure tends to be multiple tens of thousands per etailer.

There's *massive* pent up demand, if most of these people are actively seeking to buy. I don't see AMD being able to massively ramp up supply as soon as January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom