• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Yep confirmed its the MSI Spinal tap edition

What is really a strange coincidence is that the film came out march the 2nd 1984

SPINAL2.jpg
SPINAL2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Soldato
So if Ryzen is 52% instructions per clock improvement. How does that compare to other CPUs?
So a 3Ghz ryzend would = 4.5ghz Piledriver?
What about a 7700K?

52% over AMD Excavator which is two generations newer than Piledriver.

Edit!!

Reviews of the FX8350 indicate a CB R15 single thread score of 96 and the R7 1800X single thread score is 162. Both are at 4GHZ.

So in that one benchmark it hints at around a 69% IPC increase although we don't know how that will hold for other software OFC!!

Soldato
You're all making me quite jealous. My only Intel CPU is my current 2500K, had a few AMD chips before. Enjoyed the pencil mod and even desoldering of a chip on an MSI motherboard to allow the newer AMD chips to work on it. Amazed that worked. Good memories of those days and all for a fair price and long lasting sockets.

Soldato
So if Ryzen is 52% instructions per clock improvement. How does that compare to other CPUs?
So a 3Ghz ryzend would = 4.5ghz Piledriver?
What about a 7700K?
Excavator is stronger than Piledrive. And Ryzen is 52% from Excavator.
The Ryzen IPC is better than the Broadwel-E and similar to the Skylake/Kaby Lake one.
See bellow. The 7700K at 4.5Ghz has 12.5% clock speed above the 1800X (4Ghz).
If you apply the same overclock to the 1800X it will be 183-184 on single thread at least.(memory depending).
The 6900K is 4Ghz boost 3.0 cpu, with quad channel ram and is beaten by the 1800X @ 4Ghz.

And is legit statistic bellow. Because the 163 is official from AMD with crappy memory on crappy card. And the 7700K cinebench can be found everywhere.
On top. Ryzen has far supperior multi thread capabilities than the 6900K, let alone the 7700K which is half the core/threads.

I take it these are legit. Single threaded benchmarks?

Cinebench-R15-Single-Threaded.png

Associate
You're all making me quite jealous. My only Intel CPU is my current 2500K, had a few AMD chips before. Enjoyed the pencil mod and even desoldering of a chip on an MSI motherboard to allow the newer AMD chips to work on it. Amazed that worked. Good memories of those days and all for a fair price and long lasting sockets.

Same got an upgrade itch and waiting for reviews

Soldato
I would be surprised if AMD can get close to SKL for IPC - I still think it will be lower on average.
4700K @4.2Ghz single thread C15 score is 183.
1800X @4.0Ghz single thread C15 score is 163 (as posted by AMD and others, on crappy motherboard).
If we OC the 1800X @ 4.2 it will be around 172.

So the IPC of the Ryzen is between Broadwell-E and Skylake.
However multithread perf is better, because Ryzen has more advance tech than Intel SMT.

And what bugs me.
Everyone last week was claiming that Ryzen won't even have the IPC of a Haswel. Now that is sitting between Broadwel-E and Skylake, "is not enough" because is beaten by Kabylake?

Last edited:
Soldato
1800X @4.2Ghz single thread C15 score is 163 (as posted by AMD and others, on crappy motherboard).

However multithread perf is better, because Ryzen has more advance tech than Intel SMT.

Love this stuff :p

Associate
1800X @4.0Ghz single thread C15 score is 163 (as posted by AMD and others, on crappy motherboard).

And what bugs me.
Everyone last week was claiming that Ryzen won't even have the IPC of a Haswel. Now that is sitting between Broadwel-E and Skylake, "is not enough" because is beaten by Kabylake?

Agree .... Forget the peeps that moan about the IPC ect i personally think AMD have this big time ....when we have MSI making boards with dials that go up to 11 you know its something special :) makes me think of (Intel HQ board-meeting main question why don't we have boards that go up to 11)

Soldato
Agree .... Forget the peeps that moan about the IPC ect i personally think AMD have this big time ....when we have MSI making boards with dials that go up to 11 you know its something special :) makes me think of (Intel HQ board-meeting main question why don't we have boards that go up to 11)

I grabbed the Asrock with its 16 phases, Looking for that magic 4.4ghz please o;

Back
Top Bottom