• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Hahaha :D indeed.
Personally going to grab the 1800X, but waiting to see the top 2 mobos reviews which make me dithering.
a) Hero, because of the 3d stuff.
b) Titanium, because I have had great experience with my previous MSI products.
Like the X79 GD45 (cheapest X79 existed) paired with a 4820K and on second try had it running at 5Ghz! (had to go 4.9 for 24/7 doe to extra heat). While is still alive and kicking 4 years later (my brother got it with a 4930K @4.5Ghz these days). Which shows the quality of the build since it barely operated as stock speeds, all that time.

Liking the CH6 :) , had nice experience with Asus mobos. Like the nice meaty VRM HS with HP :) , defo could use the AM3 holes to reuse the TR Archon SB-E ;) . Like also the voltage read out points by the ATX connector. After noting the slot in I/O wondering if and when a ALPHA version or "one above" board is released.

Soldato
Proper cooling can help negate vcore required and help overclocking. A 360mm rad solution vs a D15 could well be night and day.

Proper cooling? You're implying a Noctua D15 isn't proper cooling lol?! :eek: I'm stunned. Please show me benchmarks that put a 360 AIO night and day difference with the D15. EK Predator maybe, but that's pretty much in a league of its own and is closer to a custom loop than any other AIO, with its custom loop components and expandablity. That said, the numerous leaks they've had lately wouldn't have me recommending it to anyone, plus the whole range is undergoing a big refresh later this year.

Soldato
Proper cooling? You're implying a Noctua D15 isn't proper cooling lol?! :eek: I'm stunned. Please show me benchmarks that put a 360 AIO night and day difference with the D15. EK Predator maybe, but that's pretty much in a league of its own and is closer to a custom loop than any other AIO, with its custom loop components and expandablity. That said, the numerous leaks they've had lately wouldn't have me recommending it to anyone, plus the whole range is undergoing a big refresh later this year.

I didn't mention benchmarks

Soldato
Dont think AMD is releasing a "Single" Core CPU :p
Lol :D

I know 8pack/Ian is more involved with Intel because well he's a well known enthusiast computer overclocker and builder. With Intel leading on performance for quite some time so Intel has been the only choice. However i would genuinely be surprised if he does not do his binning and bundle deals on OCUK for Ryzen CPUs. They have become competitive again. For enthusiast gamers that want pure performance and are not interested in streaming or anything of such they might find intel will still lead on performance a slight tad. But when it comes to 8 cores and you want something that can handle work loads it seems Ryzen is a very good option.

Soldato
If you notice there is a conspicuous lack of 1800X overclock deals.

1700 and 1700x reaching 4.0? So what, that's not what people want to see, they already know the 8 cores can reach 4.0 at stock because the 1800x specs say so and besides the achieved clock speed its the same chip.

NDA is clearly gimping all details which demonstrate the ceiling of the 1800x chip and perhaps even the chips below it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Probably in the past owned a 295X2.... Saying that because I have a SF 1000W Platinum for exactly the same reason....
Exactly why I have a 1000w PSU :p

Very happy with it through, due to not being strained much it is silent and efficient. Will last me a very long time I would imagine :)

Soldato
Lol :D

I know 8pack/Ian is more involved with Intel because well he's a well known enthusiast computer overclocker and builder. With Intel leading on performance for quite some time so Intel has been the only choice. However i would genuinely be surprised if he does not do his binning and bundle deals on OCUK for Ryzen CPUs. They have become competitive again. For enthusiast gamers that want pure performance and are not interested in streaming or anything of such they might find intel will still lead on performance a slight tad. But when it comes to 8 cores and you want something that can handle work loads it seems Ryzen is a very good option.

Nope. He has already stated that he won't be binning Ryzen. At least for the short term. He is too busy binning Intel 4 cores. No time to bin these 8 core AMD's because all games care more for Mhz than cores apparently.

Soldato

Unfortunately the only review exists doesn't have the Predator 360 (bought it £199 from OCUK on 26/1/2016 and while expensive is AMAZING) , and the one does exist the only 360 AIO is the TT one :(
Indeed I will agree with you, the D15 is great considering it is in par of a 240mm AIO if the aiflow is good or case is open......
Here is an interesting review
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/65...imate-360mm-aio-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

And as value for money the D15 is miles better than 240mm AIO, let alone 120mm ones!

Soldato
Nope. He has already stated that he won't be binning Ryzen. At least for the short term. He is too busy binning Intel 4 cores. No time to bin these 8 core AMD's because all games care more for Mhz than cores apparently.
ahh no way! Didn't know this :( Ohh well i guess that makes sense. It takes a lot of time to bin and if your already making a lot of money from it you don't want to move your time to something else.

Hmm id say a majority of games like 2-4 cores still with better IPC and more Ghz/Mhz. But there is quite a few now and popping up more frequently where a i7 is showing better performance over a i5 because it likes more than 4 threads. It's why i moved over to a i7. 3570k > 3770k. Also did it because my 3570k was a bad clocker lol.
GTA and battlefield games i noticed instantly. Was much smoother. Even Dota 2 managed to keep 120FPS 90 - 100% of the time vs 60 - 70% of the time.

This is what makes me think in the next couple of years more cores will show and rear their head as better for gaming. Especially when games are developed with DX12 in mind rather than patched in. Because DX12 is still new and games was allready in development when DX12 was availible. Games that are now being developed can be done so with DX12 in mind and they will be releasing over the next couple of years. That's how i see things. Ooops gone on a bit there sorry haha.

Time will tell i guess :)

Soldato
It's just a shame the d15 looks so bad. I wouldn't have one for that reason alone as they match virtually nothing bar maybe a sabertooth board. The other annoying thing with some of these larger coolers is ram clearance. You're left with very limited choice like default vengeance or removing heatsinks.

Soldato
Dark rock Pro 3 looks much better and is similar in performance. It's not terrible for ram clearance but it is an issue with these huge coolers.

Back
Top Bottom