1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

AMD's new offensive in the Dev Bribe Wars!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Orangey, 12 Mar 2010.

1. Orangey

Sgarrista

2. forest4

Gangster

Wow, a really long article. I read the first part, up until it says "Not quite biohazardous, but still symbolic" under the ATI biohazard "gamers" graph. But it sounds like ATI are on the ball.

Orangey, if you could just give me the gist of the rest it would be appreciated. I do not want to strain my eyes...I have games to play with these precious eyes!

3. EvilOne

Wise Guy

Now that AMD/ATI have a decent userbase they can compete with nvidia and get away with the same things that they did when they had the numbers advantage.

Expect games with ATI only featues, that arent depending on dx10.1.

4. mast3r

Mobster

in otherwords ATI are out of the pitts thanks to AMD

5. forest4

Gangster

Ha, yeah. Hopefully ATI will show more class than Nvidia did with PhysX and avoid that scenario though.

6. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

Try reading it, firstly AMD have been doing this for some time, increasing the dev team and working with most companies to a degree already, it takes a long time to get the program up and running though.

This is less an announcement of what they will do, and more an annoucement or where they've gotten already. As said, they went and asked Supreme Commander 2 makers to implement eyefinity properly , sent some guys and had it working perfectly in days.

They've VERY specifically said there will be NO locking out of anyone else, no sabotage and no situations where they'll do things like lock out AA.

Keep in mind they have been working with developers for years and years, they simply haven't had the funding Nvidia had to have as many people working with as many companies on as many titles. They've been working though, look at the Stalker games, which under Nvidia teams with more people, were unstable as hell, and when taken over by AMD teams had patches implemented with ADDED and more advanced features that were far less buggy.

They've been out there working, this is more of a public statement that the program is up and running almost at full tilt but they will expand further.

7. Phoenixdancer

PermaBanned

AMD seems to employ people who know there hardware and the software and can create stuff that works.

nvidia seems to hire under skilled people whith not enough knowlage of there hardware and hence buggy outcome

8. mmj_uk

Caporegime

Which is why the MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner author had to write his own ATI monitoring software from scratch because ATI's own SDK was pants?

9. EvilOne

Wise Guy

I did read it, but i dont beleve ATI wont do the same as what Nvidia did, hopefully they can hide it a bit better tho lol. Note im not a fanboy of either ATI or Nvidia, use which ever cards are best value when i upgrade, and see this extra compertition as a good thing.

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

All words til they put their money where their mouth is... ATI were good at that - hyping up grand ideas that never happened...

11. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

I still don't get why people the see nvidia paying game developers to make use of physx in game as 'bribe'? So nvidia sponsors game developers to use their tech/feature...what's the problem with that? I thought it's pretty much normal business practice for sponsers to provide money support to sponser developers to incorporate the use of their tech for developments in any industry...

In almost all the games, people don't NEED physx to play the game well, so I really don't understand what people are whinning about.

To me it just sounds more like ATI owners are raging/jealous over the fact that nvidia's cards owners get to play games using physx but not them.

P.S. I'm also no fanboy of neither companys...I just get whatever cards represent good value in terms of performance vs price.

12. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

You want some cheese to go with that whine.:o muppet status no1.

13. james.miller

Capodecina

there's a fine line between paying to use your features, and paying to use your features at the expense of the competitions.

it's nothing to do with jealousy lol.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

I'm not a fan of how nVidia go around with their ways its meant to be played program... but atleast they put some effort in - and they do actively support and aid developers when asked even if they do try to encourage some of their own features to get in there too.

15. Rroff

Man of Honour

When have nVidia ever paid a developer to use their features at the expense of the competitions?

16. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Care to explain in a bit more details? Cause I'm interested to know (honest) why was it at the expense of the competitions...I might have missed something.

17. james.miller

Capodecina

oh no, no way. im not dragging that debate in to this thread - it isnt needed. There's been plenty on it before, much of it documented on here and argued against by you, Rroff. The point being, i dont think anybody is jealous of physix. we would they be?

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010
  18. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

Quick quick, defend Nvidia, man you embarrassing.

BatmanAA had AA disabled on ATI cards but when the device ID was circumvented to make make BMAA think the ATI card was an NV card, AA worked fine, so if you buy BMAA and just happen to have an ATI card your not allowed to use AA because NV told the developer to block ATI. NV are a dirty setup, that's why a lot of peps despise them.

19. james.miller

Capodecina

there's no proof though, it's all very circumstantial. That, and the dx10.1 mess with assassins creed. That wasnt nvidia's doing either, it seems. not because there's any proof they didnt have a hand in it, but because nobody can prove they did.

...i mean, maybe they didnt? maybe ubisoft just chose to...remove it, because it didnt work on nvidia card. who knows?

Last edited: 12 Mar 2010
  20. Orangey

Sgarrista

The green team came out of that almost blameless according to who you ask. If you ask nvidia the devs made the decision on their own. :p