American McGee's Alice

Soldato
Must be a rare collectors piece according to the prices going on Ebay

Its only rare on ebay due to the box art. The version with the bloody knife on Alice’s hand was removed from circulation shortly after release. It was changed to show a wand, and the Cheshire cat was changed to look less gruesome. IMO I couldn’t at the time see the problem, I never purchased it at release as I really didn’t think my PC at the time would have ran it..

And the box are was removed and subsequently changed due to complaints from the public, sadly I think most didn’t actually ‘get’ what was being depicted on the box. Alice in Wonderland is seen as a Children’s tale, this was anything but a Children’s tale… the box art fitted the game perfectly, Alice in this version had actually turned quite deranged and depressed..

And as pointed out, it was rather hard on some systems, it used the Quake 2?? Or was it Quake Arena engine… I picked up the game some years later on budget when I got an ATI Radeon Pro 9700 and it flew…

Sadly I never did complete the game, yet another one that I started and just never completed. Might have to dig it out one day and try again…. Seeing as I'm quite the fan of Lewis Caroll's works..!! Although this wasn't his work, its based around his Wonderland tales..!!

Associate
Just reinstalled it for a blast, it plays a bit like Tomb raider style with climbing, jumping onto ropes & swinging etc, moving floors, levers to pull & puzzles to work out.
Luckily it has a fast quicksave/load as you will die a lot, only played for a few minutes before I put 'wuss' in the console to get all weapons :p

Associate
I've been aware of this game for quite some time, I think this thread is urged me to go and play it.

Sounds like another great but underated game like Psychonaughts and Beyond good and Evil (two of my favourites).

I've got both of those games, and Alice. The one (nice) thing that surprised me about them was just how good they were, and for what price - all were picked up in the bargain bins at their respective times.

Alice is a true classic - dark, platformy fun with good comedy to boot.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Reinstalled this after seeing the recent Tim Burton film, only stopped playing because Necrovision: Lost Company came out

I was really hoping that they'd somehow manage to get Tim Burton to make a film based on the game's storyline rather than the film he actually did. I guess that will never happen now.

Associate
OP
Well we can live on in hope. Just got the the part where you play chess in the style of chess now, such great level design, shame we dont often see this these days.

Permabanned
I just played this game a few months ago. I have the sold out version that I bought for a fiver, best £5 ever spent.

Associate
There was a thread a while ago about a rumoured sequal...

Now it's confirmed and there's an official trailer (rather than a fan made but supported trailer) I am so happy!!
Really will be watching this one closely, hopefully they'll do an awesome job and keep all the creepiness of the world and the determined bravery of Alice! (awesomely portrayed I thought)

Soldato
There was a thread a while ago about a rumoured sequal...

Now it's confirmed and there's an official trailer (rather than a fan made but supported trailer) I am so happy!!
Really will be watching this one closely, hopefully they'll do an awesome job and keep all the creepiness of the world and the determined bravery of Alice! (awesomely portrayed I thought)

http://www.ea.com/alice

Some screenshots there as well.

Back
Top Bottom