American McGee's Alice

Man of Honour
And as pointed out, it was rather hard on some systems, it used the Quake 2?? Or was it Quake Arena engine… I picked up the game some years later on budget when I got an ATI Radeon Pro 9700 and it flew…

Off the top of my head it uses a modified idtech3 engine.

EDIT:

Wikipedia said:
Electronic Arts licensed Ritual Entertainment's Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.² engine, which is in turn a modified Quake III Arena engine. The most notable changes in the engine include the use of the Tiki model system, which enables the engine to use skeletal animation among other things, the Babble dialog system which enables lip synching of audio with character animations, dynamic music system, scriptable camera, particle system and extended shader support.[3] The changes implemented to the engine for Alice remained minimal however. The game's .bsp files even retain F.A.K.K.²'s headers, albeit sporting a different version number.

Last edited:
Associate
Love that game. Just reinstalled it about 8 weeks ago and just wondered at the fantastic quality of it.
Shame that Scrapland was a bit of a letdown after that, although it was still quite good, but nowhere near the level of Alice.

Man of Honour
I recently reinstalled this and started playing it. Then I reformatted.

I'd also like to give Clive Barker's Undying a go too - that was out around a similar sort of era... maybe it used the Unreal Engine instead... but damn that was a good game. Way better than the 2nd one :(

Back
Top Bottom