AMP/DAC or Zxr Card

Associate
Hi,

I'm currently looking into a new side of audio and I'm curious on either to go down the route of an SMSL M3 or the Creative ZxR when looking to drive the DT990 250 ohm.

I would be playing games but more in favor of the music side nowadays, so let's aim for sound quality.

For the dt990 would the amp/dac provide the maximum drive or should I spend more and go for the ZxR drive it to the limit?

Soldato
Interesting. Didn't know about that. Doesn't surprise me that Creative aren't bothered about trying to fix the issue. Either that or they don't have a damn clue, just as they didn't have a clue when people had issues all those years ago. I'm sure Creative would like to point to their new card, for those who are having issues, just as they did when they released the Recon3D cards.

If it's a driver issue, I wonder if it's an issue that could addressed with PAX drivers?

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Asus were to do the same thing if this happened to their cards.

If this is an issue that can't be remedied with modified drivers, then
I wonder if there are known boards that have issues with SB Z/Zx/ZxR cards that the OP can check?

If not, then SB Z, is surely a safer choice because it's much cheaper than the ZxR. Far less of a pain if there are issues with a £60 card compared to one that cost 3x that.

SB Z has SBX and will power the DT770/990 fine.

Otherwise, just buy a DAC/amp. Sure you don't get SBX or whatever, but at least they just work.

For a more budget friendly option, FiiO E10K would be a better choice with DT770/990 than the SMSL M3, as it has a higher gain setting, which the M3 doesn't have; or there's the M6 rids mentioned, which puts out a lot more power than the M3. It is about £120 odd though.

Soldato
Still, it wouldn't surprise me if Asus were to do the same thing if this happened to their cards.
C-Media based Asus cards have bug which can make it blow out full signal scale noise.
For example fast forwarding video can trigger that.
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id...hite-noise-headphones-low-volume-setting.html
http://www.overclock.net/t/1565479/xonar-dx-incredibly-loud-static-white-noise
At least channel swap won't damage your hearing...

Myself been using ZxR for fair three years and haven't yet had any problems.

just as they did when they released the Recon3D cards.
With use of "codec" chip's integrated mediocre DACs whole Recon3D was facepalm product for its pricing.
(though lot less overpriced than Sennheiser GSX)

Soldato
Interesting. Didn't know about that. Doesn't surprise me that Creative aren't bothered about trying to fix the issue. Either that or they don't have a damn clue, just as they didn't have a clue when people had issues all those years ago. I'm sure Creative would like to point to their new card, for those who are having issues, just as they did when they released the Recon3D cards.

Funny you should say that, Creatives solution is to point at their usb cards if you have the issue :p.

I had the issue on my x99 board, yet to try the pax drivers, as my card was bought cheap used, so not too bothered about it just sitting there in a draw because I'm too lazy to try it again :p.

V F

V F

Soldato
Not the Zxr because

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=699420

TL: DR, Z series has a problem with channels randomly swapping. Creative have washed their hands of it and just claim "compatablity issues" with certain motherboards rather than actually fixing the driver. Not worth the potential headache.

http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=699420&page=10&p=595388&viewfull=1#post595388

I originally had my eye set on this card then decided to plug in the Auzen X-Fi Prelude from reading all the issues with Creative drivers.

Then Asus appears to have rubbish drivers as well.

Back
Top Bottom