amp just died- could my speakers be damaged?

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Jez
spike - if i were you i would go for a new set of speakers rather than a new amp, it will have a much greater impact on your sound, i have some liberty 5+'s here and tbh i find they sound a lot worse than a lot of other speakers ive had, if you like the eltax's then give the symphony range a go :)

I agree that you should go for some new speakers. As i have said the b&w 601 are fantastic speakers for the price (i got mine for £220 with a 2 year warentee)I think you would find a great improvement with new speakers but not a new amp. However if it ain't broke don't fix it because listening to a better set up starts you in a cycle of buying .

btw is it just me or does the richer sounds web site look much worse now?

Associate
Unless your speakers are knackered, I 'd upgrade the amp. True, if you add better speakers the sound will usually improve. However, There are certainly instances were it won't. If your amp isn't up to the job, many speakers will sound dull and listless( as a result of not being driven properly)

In terms of sound quality The Eltax aren't gonna sound as good as you're B&Ws they'll just have more "boom". You've definately got a quality budget speaker, well up to a couple of amp upgrades.

A two hundred pound amp will thrive on being driven but a bigger hihger quality amp. Vocals will be projected more and bass will be more defined

When upgrading equipment don't take side steps i.e. swapping products out for replacements isimilar in price. Save up and make significant changes -They'll be far more impressive.

Only problems is once you've a new amp, you may start looking at the source...

As for demos B&Ws are pretty ubiquitous so matching them won't be a problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by Spike
Ok cheers :) Hows does having a listen work though? I mean, I can't all the rest of my equipment to the listening room, obviously. So perhaps they set something up and I take my amp and compare that?

I really don't have a clue on how demos work, please tell me

Me > :confused:

Dan
a quality estaclishment shud let u take an amp home to demo..
RS not bein one of those, take a look@ sevenoaks

Associate
I have heard loads about how good the 601s are. They look so nice too! The non-black (can't remember what colours they called it!) ones are lovely and even the black version looks quality. Supposed to have a good sound too. So these will be my next upgrade I guess, but I've decided on the amp first. I don't want to risk the A5 not being able to drive them properly - but if I get the amp now and the speakers later is should be a nice combination :)

Now it's just a case of trying to get hold of a C320BEE, sold out everywhere! :(

Thanx again

Dan

Associate
The A5 shouldn't have any problem driving them. You'll just improve performance with a better amp.

From a £150 amp you want to spend around £300 on your next (as a guideline).

Last edited:
Soldato
If your amp still powers up but no sound is coming out of it, open it up and check for any scorch marks near the output transistors as these are mostly the problem. If you know how to solder you could probably repair the amp for under £40 depending on the transistors used.

Back
Top Bottom