• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ampere undervolting

Caporegime
Is anyone else undervolting on Ampere? I've been seriously impressed on my 3070FE.

I followed this guide:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...FjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2J3uNxEQYoAWk05YN2rhYC

Spent an hour this evening, dialled in 1950mhz at 0.9V and its actually boosting to 1965mhz which is only just short of stock which was 1980mhz.

Has taken 10 degrees off temps and dramatically reduced noise levels for the same performance.

Man of Honour
Mine behaves weird - undervolting does nothing or results in worse boost clocks at the same power use. The only thing that seems to work for me is setting powerlimit to 109% and manually increasing the frequency to around +135 (think I said +150 before but found it was eventually crashing) at which point it boosts to 2100MHz. Any other combination of settings including frequency increases below approx. +100 just give worse results or the same as stock.

EDIT: I might have to try the latest Afterburner beta - a few people have reported similar stuff happening until they used the beta build.

Soldato
i got my 3090 yesterday & im actaully going through this now

Yesterday
Stock - 1950Mhz boost average 1870Mhz average with 1200mv temp with aggressive curve 73C

So far
Tuned - 1905Mhz Solid @ 850Mv no crashes same Curve 63C

Caporegime
OP
i got my 3090 yesterday & im actaully going through this now

Yesterday
Stock - 1950Mhz boost average 1870Mhz average with 1200mv temp with aggressive curve 73C

So far
Tuned - 1905Mhz Solid @ 850Mv no crashes same Curve 63C

Not bad! Did you look at before and after power usage figures?

Soldato
So settled on this for now
Yesterday
Stock - 1950Mhz boost average 1870Mhz average with 1200mv temp with aggressive curve 73C wattage 395W peak 350W average

settled for so far
Tuned - 1935Mhz Solid @ 875Mv no crashes same Curve 67c wattage 369W peak 300W Average

Associate
I've been running my 3080 at 1950mhz with 0.900v for the last month. Played AC:V, WD:L and now Cyberpunk without a single issue and the card holds that speed at all times. In Cyberpunk I use around 280-300w with a max temp of 60c after a few hours. This is on water in a fairly warm house. My pump runs at 50% all the time and my fans run at 40% so the computer is pretty much silent.

Caporegime
I tried this for a while on my 2070S and eventually, I needed more voltage. Mine would run 1950 @ 0.9v, a few months later it needed 0.925v to be stable and then 0.95v. That being said, it's now in the process of being RMA'd so I could have just had really poor silicone but I've seen reports elsewhere of eventually needing to bump the voltage up over time.

Soldato
Personally (and I think this will be controversial) I think undervolting goes against the ethos of Overclocking. Call me old school but my 3060ti FE boosts to 2115mhz with 110% power limit and modest +150 on core and in games its round 60-63c so far with benchmarking around 70c. Always when I have ended up with a hot card I change the cooling to improve temperatures even to the point of strapping an AIO to it with tie wraps ! Knocking 20c off that way is far more hobbyist.

I understand you want it similar performance but cooler but then I think why spend all that money on a card just to run it under performance. Cut the ropes and let it fly !

Soldato
Personally (and I think this will be controversial) I think undervolting goes against the ethos of Overclocking. Call me old school but my 3060ti FE boosts to 2115mhz with 110% power limit and modest +150 on core and in games its round 60-63c so far with benchmarking around 70c. Always when I have ended up with a hot card I change the cooling to improve temperatures even to the point of strapping an AIO to it with tie wraps ! Knocking 20c off that way is far more hobbyist.

I understand you want it similar performance but cooler but then I think why spend all that money on a card just to run it under performance. Cut the ropes and let it fly !

undervolting doesn't have to mean your not overclocking...

it just means you going to be more efficient at said OC

my 3090 at stock was doing 1820-1850 constant at 71C with a large fan curve & 102% power limit (max for trio) even pushing + 90 on the core it was only averaging 1890Mhz due to Temperature/Voltage

Now with a tweaked voltage curve of 875Mv vs 1025mv i'm running average of 1950Mhz Constant with 70C.

could I increase the power limit & voltage too, possibly to get 2000Mhz+ yes i could. but would it flucate due to high temps most likely,

i may try to push for 2000mhz down the lime once i can get the card cooler but right now 100FPS at 4K ultra is pretty decent :)

Soldato
I understand that but my opinion is if you have to undervolt to get good temperatures then you bought the wrong card.

You are improving the stock card by changing the settings. Spending that much money I would expect it to be better out of the box. Doing a straight overclock is not fixing an issue with the stock card its like cherry on the cake.

I wont say anymore on the subject its just my different point of view I do not wish to antagonise further.

EDIT: I might have to try the latest Afterburner beta - a few people have reported similar stuff happening until they used the beta build.

If you look at the date of the release its 2019. The beta IIRC is Sept 2020 so both were released before my card and possibly yours I expect there will be a new one soon that fully supports 3xxx.

Caporegime
They aren't undervolting just to get better temperatures though, it gets you better clock speeds than you would leaving the card at stock. So it isn't being run underperformance like you first suggested.

With the way GPU boost works, most cards are going to get downclocked with the temps they hit on air, even with the fan speed whacked right up. Modding cards like you've done isn't an option for most if they want to keep their warranty.

Man of Honour
I’ve undervolted my 3090FE, 1950 @ 850Mv.

Best thing is the clock is almost a constant 1950 now in games as opposed to fluctuating like they do at stock.

At stock it would sit at around 65 while gaming, and undervolting hasn’t really changed that too much. Sit at 63-64 now

Soldato
I’ve undervolted my 3090FE, 1950 @ 850Mv.

Best thing is the clock is almost a constant 1950 now in games as opposed to fluctuating like they do at stock.

At stock it would sit at around 65 while gaming, and undervolting hasn’t really changed that too much. Sit at 63-64 now
same 1950 seems very sweet spot on 3090. :)

Back
Top Bottom