An idea?

Soldato
I feel its time to come out the shell and join the motors socialites :p

Now ive seen the Europe and Nurburg trips etc.. but how abouts an 800 mile cruise across blighty?

People not wanting to drive all the way to the start and from the finish could join and leave at set points at set times etc.

Map

Again this is very much an idea but could turn out to be very amusing :D

Associate
Interesting idea.

You've got the the route north from Glasgow a bit mixed up though. Avoid the M9 / A9 - its one of the most heavily scamera'd roads in Scotland and is regularly policed by unmarked cars.

Instead, take the A82 North from Glasgow past Loch Lomand, through Glen Coe and then up the Great Glen to Inverness. Some amazing fast a-road driving in truely stunning scenery. Just don't do the Loch Lomand bit on a weekend in the summer or you'll be ready to kill geriatric Volvo 340 drivers.

Associate
Completed that trip back in November last year and found it fun but I suppose it depends on how you want to approach this idea of yours:

It's fun if you take frequent stops to rest and explore.
It's pointless if you want to do an A to B trip and call it a day, just a waste of petrol tbh plus driving on UK motorways isn't really that interesting :)
It's annoying as there are many roadworks set @ 40mph with no one working, which would drive you nuts.

Soldato
I was thinking of a similar idea the other week. Start at point A, you've got xx hours to get to your destination by whatever route. Points added/deducted for time above or below par. Then meet at a track, set a laptime and then score up etc. Set off the next day in placing order to another track or something. Then repeat

Soldato
OP
The way I see it you dont go stupid on motorways and take other roads as they come... As long as you don't hoon it the whole way it should be fine :confused:

Soldato
OP
I never mentioned race - more a social cruise with stops on the way :p

When I can afford to hoon round europe after your skoda Ill join you ;)

Soldato
you could run it on a time trial basis.Say an oil burner should get 55MPG then you deduct or gain points for + or - that fugure over a set distance.A 900cc car could be given x hours to complete a section with points again for + or -.
French and Italian cars could be deducted points for the number of oily fingernails on the driver :)
A bit like the Top Gear banger/Porsche trials.

Associate
I'll happily come over and speed all day. Having a California Drivers License makes things so much more interesting when you're 'chatting' with UK cops.

Of course, someone will need to lend me a car so all the NIP's don't get forwarded to me by Hertz :D

Also, my chances of scoring a good lap time in a rented Punto might be limited.

Back
Top Bottom