An Insight into University Life (The World's longest post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Right 1st off...you big girl. There is no massive hill between compski & lafrowda :p Try going up cardiac hill...it earnt its name :D (between Birks & Nash)

Secondly...oh dear god...I had nearly put the memory of Un Momento or as they are trying to call it as I recall 'The Italian Job' behind me. With raw chicken burgers & chips which will seal up holes in the wall faster than pollyfilla it is a place I wish to forget :D

You are unlucky to be in Lafrowda...really really unlucky...The worst I had it was enhanced lafrowda which is about 100 times as good as the normal ones :/

Rest of it looks fair though aside from time spent whining about how arse the Odeon cinema in town is & the years I spent playing networked games & trying to get through the firewall to play on the net ;)

Juz

Juz

Associate
Nim... don't suppose you could give me brief honest descriptions of the available self catering accomodations on offer there? I've got all my offers and have to make a choice soon and exeter is looking like being my first choice... but I missed the official open day (went along on a seperately organised tour with a couple of other people who missed it though... very pretty blonde student there gave us a tour :)) so I never got to see the accomodation.
Which are the best self-catering accomodation for:
location (car parking is essential)
close proximity to pubs
ensuite rooms (I sure as hell won't be sharing a toilet/shower :D)
price (I'm pretty flexible on this... so do you know cheapest/dearest/middle?)
also is there any particular accomodation which just seems "best" for good social environment and seems to be most peoples favourite?

I'm doing business studies btw if that effects accomodation options?

cheers!

Soldato
Originally posted by Juz
Which are the best self-catering accomodation for:
location (car parking is essential)
close proximity to pubs
ensuite rooms (I sure as hell won't be sharing a toilet/shower :D)
price (I'm pretty flexible on this... so do you know cheapest/dearest/middle?)
also is there any particular accomodation which just seems "best" for good social environment and seems to be most peoples favourite?

I have been through 4 years at Exeter unlike fresher n00b Nim so answers here:

Your course doesn't affect accomadation.

'Best social' accomadation will be in the Lafrowda/St Germans/Rowe House area, them being near to the uni nightclub & with a direct route to town & numerous pubs.

Those I just mentioned are close together so all the parking is together 7 they are also near Hope hall which has an extra car park. However, you would need a permit & LOTS of students take cars so spaces are at a premium.

All of Exeter's accomadation is near pubs :D

For En suite you are limited to St German's, Rowe House or Nash Grove. Nash is on the other side of campus to the others. Let me be clear right now, each of these places are fantastic. SPacious, double beds, power showers the whole lot/ They are each blocks of 6 room flats. They are however very expensive. All accomadation at Exeter is expensive but with these you are looking at the best of the best.

For costs you are looking at:

Lafrowda/ Enhanced Lafrowda/Catered Halls/& then the trio of rowe, Germans & Nash cost the most.

Rowe is the best.

Now a point which I think you are unaware of, as a fresher, you will ONLY get the choice of Lafrowda & Catered Halls. The rest are reserved for the other years. You will not get en suite before you have gone a year sharing. If you go into halls pick Duryard (Moberly block if poss) as they manage to have the best atmosphere & are close to a 24 hr Esso garage with off licence & edible food.

I thouroughly recommed Exter however, brilliant uni & great campus.

Soldato
sounds like my usual day. Slight differences i have is that i do less work (which is bad, really need to do more :( )

during the week I'll play cs /il2/bf/wotever(way too much) watch futurama/family guy/simpsons. I'll also be abusing my 1mbit conx downloading wotever i fancy ;) thats when i'm not seeing the missus anyway, but she works really hard so is in the library most of the day.

weekends are usually spent flying if the weathers good.

i'm a 3rd year doing comp sci and mangement at edinburgh uni.

don't you love being a student ;):cool:

Soldato
Re: Re: An Insight into University Life (The World's longest post)

Originally posted by Nim
11p Tesco Noodles

I'm a bit more upmarket with my noodles and make a trek down to Gerrard street and buy a large box from the Loon Fung supermarket. 30 packs at about 25p each... don't taste too bad either :D

Associate
That reminds me why I loved the first year at university so much. Its uncannily close to my weekly routine when I was doing a Computing HND and living in campus flats. Excellent post....enjoy the rest of the year.

Soldato
A very entertaining thread Mr Nim Sir.

It is also very impressive that you seem to be one of the few students who can actually constuct a sentence that makes sense and does not contain spelling mistakes. ;)

I hope that you continue the saga of student life for our enjoyment.

Regards, singist (From Headingley) :)

Soldato
Love the post, pretty much sums up most of my days. Friday quickly turns into a sleep fest then I get confused as to wheather its Saturday or Friday, as they seem to merge into one. Lol

Oh and for noodles you can't beat Lidl's 6p ones :D :p

Soldato
very informative and interesting post...

im just finishing 2 years of AVCE ICT in college - what a mistake that was, so boring, but...its nearly over now.

ive been pondering over the possibility of going to uni after college..as of now, ive left it too late, so i could take a year out and then go to uni...

ive been told lots of different things about uni...people have told me that staying in student accomodation is very expensive (but if i went to uni..id have to stay in accomodation, staying at home drives me nuts already), and this was backed up by the fact i heard on the radio the other day that the average uni student leaves uni with an £18,000 debt hanging over them :eek: which made me sorta turn away from the idea of uni.

however, after reading this very interesting post, it has made me think twice, it seems to be much fun, and staying in uni accomodation away from the parents would be a godsend..

i guess i could possibly take a year out, get a job and see where i go from there, but how much is uni accomodation?

is it really that expensive?

great post though :)

Soldato
Uni in London is hideously expensive, but I don't think it's too bad elsewhere. It generally depends how hard you party. I know people who have spent £350 in a weekend on a dash to Dublin!

Juz

Juz

Associate
Originally posted by Cemetery
I have been through 4 years at Exeter unlike fresher n00b Nim so answers here:

Your course doesn't affect accomadation.

'Best social' accomadation will be in the Lafrowda/St Germans/Rowe House area, them being near to the uni nightclub & with a direct route to town & numerous pubs.

Those I just mentioned are close together so all the parking is together 7 they are also near Hope hall which has an extra car park. However, you would need a permit & LOTS of students take cars so spaces are at a premium.

All of Exeter's accomadation is near pubs :D

For En suite you are limited to St German's, Rowe House or Nash Grove. Nash is on the other side of campus to the others. Let me be clear right now, each of these places are fantastic. SPacious, double beds, power showers the whole lot/ They are each blocks of 6 room flats. They are however very expensive. All accomadation at Exeter is expensive but with these you are looking at the best of the best.

For costs you are looking at:

Lafrowda/ Enhanced Lafrowda/Catered Halls/& then the trio of rowe, Germans & Nash cost the most.

Rowe is the best.

Now a point which I think you are unaware of, as a fresher, you will ONLY get the choice of Lafrowda & Catered Halls. The rest are reserved for the other years. You will not get en suite before you have gone a year sharing. If you go into halls pick Duryard (Moberly block if poss) as they manage to have the best atmosphere & are close to a 24 hr Esso garage with off licence & edible food.

I thouroughly recommed Exter however, brilliant uni & great campus.

niceone, thanks for the advice! rowe sounds nice, shame about not being able to get there in first year though :\ I'm now back a stage then after accomodation to exeter vs east anglia... really can't choose :(

Permabanned
LOL at Augmented, i noticed the quote :)

I am doing As now so in a years time i will be going to uni soon.
good post NIM.

which uni do the most ocuk members go to? and what do they all study? computer science? i think i would either do that, electronics or business, hmm decisions.

Permabanned
That man speaks the truth. It doesn't wound like its changed much since i was there... Apart from the fact that just about every meal I cooked was based on some type of pasta :)

I remember my days used to involve getting into uni about 10:00 for a 45 min lecture, and then waiting patently for the uni bar to open. Ah the good old days...

Enjoy it while it lasts. It was a bit of a shock when I graduated and had to start a 9 - 5 job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom