• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

An Interim GPU?

Soldato
I had a similar thread for an interim CPU, so now my focus is on GPU.

I was set on getting a 3070, but by the time I figured out which was best "value for money" and got good reviews they had all gone.
So I thought I'd settle for a 2070, 2060 Super or 5700XT - Nowhere to be found for a reasonable price (to me).

So... I'm putting it to the forum, what do you recommend as a good interim GPU until I get my wonderful future 3070/3080 at RRP in abundant stock?

I saw a 1650 for £130. Is that reasonable? I don't mind losing a few quid for the benefit of having a working machine to run my CAD programs, but I'd like to think I'd make a good chunk back if I auction it later.
Any other card recommendations? Please accompany with expected prices.

Going down the used route seems silly, I've been looking at the prices and they don't make sense..

Man of Honour
This is my first build so maybe a daft question but will a 1650 Super work fine in an MSI X570 Tomahawk mobo?

I've seen a 5500-XT for £200. Good deal?
All gpu's should work fine so there will be no problem with whichever you choose. Everything is overpriced at the moment due to availability so it a case of get what you can.

Soldato
I came to the conclusion the XT 5600XT was the best bang for buck GPU which still gets 60 fps on a 1440 monitor which was good enough for me to stick with for a few weeks/months. When one appeared in the B Grade section for £200 I bought it immediately. 1660 or 1660S would also be decent but I've been checking regularly and they haven't had any 5500XT, 5600XT & 1660S anywhere near that price again. Also certain other large seller with a warehouse section also sold all the decent bargains weeks a go and now everything is overpriced even in that section.

So yeah 5500XT <£200 or 1660S & 5600XT for as near to £200 as possible would be decent prices. nVidia & AMD GPUs will work fine in that motherboard. I have a 570 mobo and have used a 1050 Ti, RX580, 5600XT & 1080 Ti in it without issue.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the pointers that will help me a lot!!

I really thought my laptop was meant to be decent (i7-5700HQ and GTX 970M) but it really struggled tonight on Frostpunk, even with settings low. Unless it's the fact I installed it on my secondary HDD I'd say it's time for me to speed up my PC build.
5800X hopefully arriving this week. I'll see what I can get for around £200 and hopefully I won't lose out too badly when stock levels "normalise".

Thanks again for putting the time in, much appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Just looking at the B Grades, I have the option of:

Asus Radeon RX 5500 XT for £179.99
OR
Palit GeForce GTX 1650 Super for £158.99

It seems a trick question as I compared the two on a user benchmark site and the 1650 Super wins. The prices are playing with my head someone help :eek:

Soldato
OP
I really thought my laptop was meant to be decent (i7-5700HQ and GTX 970M) but it really struggled tonight on Frostpunk

Well don't I feel silly.. I had my task manager on the second screen while I played so I could see where it was struggling and why it was so laggy. Turns out my lappy decided to bypass dedicated graphics on the game! Switched them over in Windows and now it runs real smooth! It now takes me longer to get bored and quit

Back
Top Bottom