1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anaemia!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gamer_T, 13 May 2010.

1. Gamer_T

PermaBanned

Hi guys,

Went to the doctors with a few symptoms I was having, had a full blood test done, everything was fine apart from my Iron Levels. Apparently my iron levels were very low and therefore I'm anaemic.

I've been given some medication to help with this however I'm wondering what sort of things I should be eating in order to help this issue?

I was looking at a diet for anaemia but wasn't too sure if I wanted to take it that far. I really would like to know what extra food I should be adding to my meals.

Please note this isn't medical related so please don't lock!

Cheers

2. gjrc

Soldato

spinach!!

3. VoG

Soldato

Liver?

you know you shoulda posted this in sports arena, a lot of the folks in there really know there nutrition & dietary stuff. :)

4. Gamer_T

PermaBanned

Yeah maybe that'd be the best choice. If a mod sees fit please move for me. :)

Thanks

5. The Dread Pirate

Capodecina

Guinness!

6. Energize

Caporegime

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  7. Muban

Soldato

Liver, black pudding, spinach, raisins, oily fish.

Also drink OJ or keep up a good vitamin C intake as this helps your body absorb the iron in the other food :)

8. robgmun

Capodecina

liver fried with spinich and onions, with some Bisto gravy and a dash of soya sauce on a bed of brown rice.

Much much nicer then it should be, nom

9. Meridian

Man of Honour

Your doctor diagnosed you, and gave you iron tablets, but not a diet guide? Change doctors.

M

10. Col_M

Mobster

Oh man, Liver and orange, black pud/blutwurst/jelito, Guinness all good stuff :D I'm hungry now :p

11. Energize

Caporegime

I've been trying to get referred to a dietician for my specially required diet on the NHS but no luck so far, it's no surpise he didn't get any diet guide going by my GP's lack of knowledge on the subject. Didn't even seem to know that fruit and bread is high in simple sugars.

12. Minstadave

Caporegime

Are you veggie? You shouldn't be anaemic if you're not.

13. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Which is a myth. A pint of Guinness contains approximately 0.3mg of Iron, an egg alone contains about 1mg. There are much better choices.

14. Meridian

Man of Honour

Special diets are one thing, but iron deficiency is so common that most GP surgeries have handouts for it.

M

15. Energize

Caporegime

As the NIH table shows, non animal based foods provide the most Iron. :p

16. Minstadave

Caporegime

Only the beans and the fortified cereals have a decent amount in, and not many people can eat shedloads of that. Meat eaters will have a higher intake than vegetarians on average.

17. Energize

Caporegime

One bowl of breakfast cereal provides the entire daily intake. And 4 slices of bread is getting you 24% alone. As the NIH say most Iron is from non animal products. Meat eaters may have a higher daily intake but as long as you are getting 100% of RDA it doesn't matter.

http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...564&jid=PNS&volumeId=58&issueId=02&aid=795552

Last edited: 13 May 2010
  18. j00ni

Soldato

Bit OTT, the GP has given the OP a diagnosis and cure - unless the OP asked for dietry help and got no advice, most doctors will not have an exhausive list off the top of their heads, and so would do exactly what the rest of us would do, ie google

19. The Dread Pirate

Capodecina

This I know I was just waiting for someone to grab the bait... HA!:p

20. edscdk

Soldato

I would speak to a professional, a nutritionist..... its not gonna cost you that much and they will give much better advice than someone who found something on google...

Its not like you will need to keep goign back to them, I htink a lady I know charges £70 for the first cons, which is pretty much all you would need... so I assume thats how much others would charge.