Ancient PC upgrade advice

Associate
I have a very old Overclockers PC that I would like to upgrade if it is possible.

It has an M68MT S2 motherboard, an AMD Phenom II X4 840 CPU and an Nvidia Geforce GTX 460.

Is it worth upgrading and if so do you have any recommendations on available upgrades that will work?

any help gratefully received.

Soldato
Sorry, dont think there is anything worth keeping there, unless your are playing really old stuff like counter strike. If you just want it to "feel" a bit more nippy get a 250gb SSD and install windows 10 on it. if you can upgrade to 8gb ram that will help. you wont be doing any AAA gaming though.

Soldato
As above. Everything in the system is obsolete so a new start is your best option. If you absolutely must throw some money at it an SSD boot drive would make it feel considerably quicker to boot and open apps, and also be transferable to a new rig.

Soldato
I have a very old Overclockers PC that I would like to upgrade if it is possible.

For what are you going to be using it? If gaming, don't bother. But if you're going to be using it for MS Office and similar then a SSD will give the PC a new lease of life and a cheap GPU like a GTX 1650 Super will provide HDCP 2.2 and H.265 support.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, it is for gaming, my daughter wants to play Minecraft on it, which prompted the question as the recommended specs are well above the pc.

It's a shame as the pc is still going strong after 10 years, which is a testament to OCs build quality.

I'll start looking for a replacement, I rather like the look of the Kinetic ZX

Thanks again for all the replies, it is much appreciated

Soldato
Thanks for the replies, it is for gaming, my daughter wants to play Minecraft on it, which prompted the question as the recommended specs are well above the pc.

It's a shame as the pc is still going strong after 10 years, which is a testament to OCs build quality.

I'll start looking for a replacement, I rather like the look of the Kinetic ZX

Thanks again for all the replies, it is much appreciated

£20 for an SSD, £5 for windows 10, its worth giving the PC ago.

That Kinetic looks overpriced, certainly way over the top for minecraft. you would get away with half that mount. dont forget. you can build a custom basket on here, and OCUK can quote to build it if your not happy doing it yourself. plus if you ask on here, someone will spec a basket for you

Back
Top Bottom