And boomers wonder why millennials are bitter towards them..

Soldato
Rear projection jobbie?

That's a possibility I guess....though just seen this story and i'm now wondering if he's still using it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54239180

Broadband: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months

Engineers walked around the village with a monitor called a spectrum analyser to try to find any "electrical noise" to help pinpoint the problem.

"At 7am, like clockwork, it happened," said Mr Jones.

"Our device picked up a large burst of electrical interference in the village.

"It turned out that at 7am every morning the occupant would switch on their old TV which would, in-turn, knock out broadband for the entire village."

The TV was found to be emitting a single high-level impulse noise (SHINE), which causes electrical interference in other devices.

;)

Man of Honour
Yeah. If you're in the middle of the wage scale,not really any way to escape once you get past 30

You could retrain - costing many years of your life for something that might not pay off
You could do extra hours - but tax make it not worth the time
A pay rise of a few thousand - isn't going to make much difference.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

I almost doubled my salary at the age of 38. It involved some time on the side learning a new skill (partly through a project role in my existing job) and the rest of it was transferable skills which I already had.

Caporegime
So the past 4-5 pages have reaffirmed my position that every idiot wants to live in the south, have a skillset that is woefully inadequate and yet they still want a 500k house, nice cars (on hp) 2 holidays a year long haul, flexi time, half the subs you can get and all the latest tech oh and a flutter on Kickstarters as you may get a bargain.

All straight after you have left uni or at the very least by the time you are 27....

Sympathy gone, i have enough stashed away for a buy to let. Might as well use it i guess.

/Thanks
If that's what you want to take away from this thread, then it doesn't matter what anybody says (or has actually said), you'll see what you want to see.

Soldato
I'm not sure I agree with that.

I almost doubled my salary at the age of 38. It involved some time on the side learning a new skill (partly through a project role in my existing job) and the rest of it was transferable skills which I already had.

Of course it’s possible, several pieces fell into the right place for you to do this but it’s not likely or even possible for most people.

Soldato
What do you mean by flat screen? As a 37" flat screen CRT in the 80's wasn't just "nothing special" (avg size tv in the 80's was 21-24") and flat screen (lcd) tv's weren't publicly sold until the late 90's iirc?

your right, it was an error on my part as it must have been in the 1990's. the TV, a Panasonic with freesat is still here in our spare room :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
If that's what you want to take away from this thread, then it doesn't matter what anybody says (or has actually said), you'll see what you want to see.

Not really, I just do not buy it. My nephew for example 23 years old, left school with with average GSCE and got took on as a painter and decorator. Constantly working (still finds the time to buy a new shirt every Saturday and get mashed in the evening) yet has managed to save and buy his first house on his own and in the process of moving up to a 3 bed semi new build around Nottingham.

As he puts its, its called "graft" but i guess its what you want out of life.

If your a sheeple then your job is simple spend spend spend, get in debt and stay in debt and spend even more.

Soldato
I don't see why not.

Because opportunities don't fall from the sky for most people. Their side projects suddenly don't become twice as lucrative as their main job, and their job doesn't put them on a path to acquire skills that are worth 2x in the market. You'd have to be incredibly fortunate for this to happen to you.

Soldato
I don't see why not.

I have been stuck with not really knowing what I want to do for a career so I haven't changed from my current one (19 years). I decided 5 years ago at age 30 to study mechanical engineering (which cost me a lot of money being a mature student) but after doing it I didn't want to pursue a career in that field.

If I knew what I wanted to do I could put all effort in to it as I don't have kids at the moment. I am by no means hard up as I've been careful with my money and my wife changed career which now pays well. Perhaps that's also why I've been a bit lazy working to change my career!

Soldato
Not really, I just do not buy it. My nephew for example 23 years old, left school with with average GSCE and got took on as a painter and decorator. Constantly working (still finds the time to buy a new shirt every Saturday and get mashed in the evening) yet has managed to save and buy his first house on his own and in the process of moving up to a 3 bed semi new build around Nottingham.

If your a sheeple then your job is simple spend spend spend, get in debt and stay in debt and spend even more.

Did he do that while still living at home though?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
At least until he was 20, 21 so granted that has helped. But when he was training it was crap money really.

Soldato
Problem is look at what the 'expected' route at the moment is. At 18 go to uni for 3 years, work up a nice amount of debt I know student debt works differently but uni students will not be saving money at this time. At 21 move off to the city and pay stupid amount of rent while earning crap wages at their first proper job.

Soldato
Surely if most people aks themselves the question "can I earn more money" the answer must be yes - it's more a question of commitment to it surely?

Everyone can't earn more money though, the simple matter is houses cost a lot more compared to annual wage now than they did 30 odd years ago. This means that people have to save more for a deposit which takes longer and longer due to high rents.

Soldato
Everyone can't earn more money though, the simple matter is houses cost a lot more compared to annual wage now than they did 30 odd years ago. This means that people have to save more for a deposit which takes longer and longer due to high rents.
People either need to spend less or earn more if they want on the ladder - otherwise your just waiting for a huge house price correction that may never come (and probably isn't in the best interest of the majority). Even if it takes someone 10 years plus to save a deposit it's got to be worth it.

Soldato
There are many posts regarding housing and it’s cost either to buy or to rent, and even jealousy at the increase in value of houses owned by apparently rich “boomers”.

This is because there’s a housing shortage and has been for decades now. Blame builders for buying huge tracts of land and dribbling out a few houses a year for massive profit. Blame the government for repeatedly failing to achieve their affordable housing targets. Even blame the bankers for not providing suitable mortgages for those on average/ median wages.

However, blaming those older than you for being lucky to live better is a complete waste of time. They are not the people to blame for a situation not of their making.

Soldato
People either need to spend less or earn more if they want on the ladder - otherwise your just waiting for a huge house price correction that may never come (and probably isn't in the best interest of the majority). Even if it takes someone 10 years plus to save a deposit it's got to be worth it.

I agree that people have to just get on with it as that's currently how it is. That doesn't mean that nothing shouldn't be done to try and stop the continual price rises.

Caporegime
Surely if most people aks themselves the question "can I earn more money" the answer must be yes - it's more a question of commitment to it surely?

The higher the average salary in an area, the higher the house prices are and that isn't a linear scale. Yes, some people will be more than capable of earning more for themselves but simply won't put the effort in. That isn't causing the problems we're seeing in the housing market though. Boomers aren't to blame, it's poor government decisions and almost no accountability on homebuilders until very recently.

Caporegime
Yeah. If you're in the middle of the wage scale,not really any way to escape once you get past 30

You could retrain - costing many years of your life for something that might not pay off
You could do extra hours - but tax make it not worth the time
A pay rise of a few thousand - isn't going to make much difference.

Well that's silly - if you can put aside a few thousand extra per year then over several decades of compounding that can be quite a tidy sum... another house paid in full even!

Not to mention that a higher salary in your current job by a few grand can often translate to a higher salary when you move jobs too - they often base any pay increase to tempt you to move on your current salary... that has a sort of compounding effect too, any extra few grand you can get earlier on can get carried forward and means a 10-20% increase for moving jobs is a much larger one too.

Yeah graft can pay off... there are opportunities out there for a range of skill sets if people are happy to work long hours for a bit or work overseas etc..

Like I suspect the kid with limited education quals who gets a Saturday job at the local mobile phone store and finds out he's good at sales can just as easily transfer that skill to selling cars or houses and work their way up in either of those sectors.

People with limited education quals prepared to work on oil rigs can also do rather well, ditto to say Yachts... bit niche but looking at that TV show Below Deck it seems crew members on charters yachts get up to circa $1000 USD after every charter (which could be every week) on top of their salary, $500 USD being seen as a "bad" tip. Some young person doing a few seasons on a yacht can get a deposit together easily and rent the place out while they're off being a yachtie.

Back
Top Bottom