1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And people wonder why I have petrol in my blood...

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Joe T, 15 Apr 2007.

1. Joe T

Capodecina

This is my old man:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe T

Capodecina

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures taken at Mallory Park yesterday. My Dad's car is a 275bhp Morgan +8 with a 4.6 Rover V8.

This was my first time with the D200 shooting motorsport, and boy is it good!

All shots except the last one were taken with the 120-300 2.8 and are uncropped. The last shot was taken with the 18-70 and is cropped a bit. Im really struggling with the gap in my focal length range between 70mm and 120mm. A 50-150 2.8 might be on the cards!

I also struggled a lot with the very bright sunlight, and my exposure was often all over the place :shrug:. Anyway, this is the reason for the high contrast on some of the shots.

Let me know what you think. :)

3. L0rdMike

Capodecina

Camera n00b here but how come you used spot metering?

4. Joe T

Capodecina

Thats a good point actually. I usually use centre-weighted. I think I didnt have the cam set up properly tbh - this might have caused my exposure woes. Im still getting used to the D200.

5. Shoei

Wise Guy

Nice pics and a nice car.
    Hope you dont mind, but had a quick play in NX with 2 of the pics.
    Just using the black and white control points looses some of the brightness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seems a shame to put such a beautifull car on the track, but at least you get to use it to its full potential.

6. J1234

Capodecina

Yeah those pics with the ajusted contrast look alot better, nice shots though.

7. Joe T

Capodecina

Shoei, the ones I did originally looked a bit like that, but I decided the car looked too dark and thus lost its colour. Hence why I brightened em up a bit. :)

8. DizMatt

Mobster

I like the panning shots, nice sense of speed on them
    much prefer the close ups, feel more involved and really takes advantage of the open top nature of the cars, something you miss in normal motorsport#

shame you didn't capture a close up head into the camera for more involvement, hard shot to do I'd imagine

9. danza

Capodecina

Pretty damn sharp for a Nikon ;)

Seriously, they're all pretty much bang on the money. No. 9 is by far my fave, nice shot showing some decent action. I think that it'd make a great enlargement. Not a really big fan of the diagonal pans, but they're still rather nice ;)

10. ElDude

Mobster

Well despite the fact I find the subject matter the most boring thing on the planet, I can't deny that I'm impressed with those shots. Very well captured. I honestly can't decide between #4 and #5.

I give it two big toes up :cool:

11. Wile E. Coyote

Hitman

Very nice Joe, I know what you mean about the D200, its completely different, I used my friends for a little bit and was almost scracthing my head at it. Nice piece of kit though will be on my future shopping list.