1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And so it begins.....

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by AJUK, 9 May 2006.

1. AJUK

Man of Honour

Is this article a record of Brown starting to position himself to take over the leadership?

2. FirebarUK

Soldato

Did you know that *John Prescott* used to be a steward onboard the QM2 and was fired for being a lazy get :D

Random information for the day.

Last edited: 9 May 2006
  3. AJUK

Man of Honour

I did actually. He also apologised to the Iceland people for the trouble caused to them during the Cod War. Apologising for them nicking our fish. :confused:

4. FirebarUK

Soldato

This could be a big thread on JP information :D *Gordon Brown information too*

It turned out the chief Cunard chap who fired him was my work colleagues father-in-law. How satisfying.
    Only around 6 months ago he came down to NOC at Southampton and got his aides to get him onboard QM2 so he could boast :rolleyes:

5. AJUK

Man of Honour

It could be a big John Prescott thread, except it is meant to be about Gordon Brown's leadership ambitions. :p

6. Visage

PermaBanned

I beleive the GD term is 'Holy thread derailment, Batman' ;)

FWIW, I think Blair is a dead duck. But he doesnt *have* to go yet. When Brown takes over he'll get a polls boost simply because he's not Blair - there's a certain amount of logic in delaying the inevitable in the hope that Brown's 'honeymoon period' allows him to win an election.

What odds on a change of leadership followed by a snap general election in the autumn?

7. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Given your previous poll prediction, forgive me for taking this with a pinch of salt...

Brown has no charisma - he is not suited as a leader.

8. AJUK

Man of Honour

I think that would be the only way that Brown will ever be seen as having the mandate from the people. Although the majority of the people aren't aware that he doesn't actually need it. We elect a party who chose a leader not a leader from a party.

9. FirebarUK

Soldato

LOL! they both look the same anyhow :p

I mean't to say Gordon Brown rather than JP.

No wait, I didn't. <me wanders off>

10. Visage

PermaBanned

Ouch ;)

Though there is a precedent - Major took over from Thatcher having no charisma and won the next election after the opposition stole defeat from the jaws of victory through premature triumphalism. Maybe there is a lesson for Dave there......

11. dirtydog

PermaBanned

It was a very good election to lose for Labour though wasn't it :) You can imagine the cries of how Labour had wrecked the economy, if Labour had been in power during the ERM crisis.

I remember a Spitting Image sketch just after the election, where the Tories entered number 10 and it was vandalised and wrecked, because they'd done it themselves expecting Labour to win the election. Then at the end they said something like 'damn we trashed the economy too'.

12. Visage

PermaBanned

Id forgotten about that!

13. AJUK

Man of Honour

LOL. That reminds me of the 2000 (?)US election when George 'W' Bush was elected. Apparently some wag in the Clinton administration removed the W from every keyboard in the Whitehouse. :p

14. anarchist

PermaBanned

It would be nice to think that leaders were judged on policies rather than charisma but that isn't the case. Not that I'm saying GB would win on policies either I hasten to add!

15. Visage

PermaBanned

Indeed. Clearly a comparison on the basis of policy will have to wait until the Tories actually formulate some - though perhaps that is inherently their policy - why risk alienating people when you can just watch Labour self destruct?

16. AJUK

Man of Honour

Yes, it would be nice for some policies to be put forward by the Camaroons (sic). Agreed on the self destruction, my favourite bloodsport is politics and these last weeks have been very bloody indeed.

17. starscream

PermaBanned

I think Labour will lose the next election regardless of how soon Brown is put in charge. With the Prescott/Clarke "Scandalls" and cabinett reshuffles, it feels like the end of the last Tory government and you get the feeling that they are a lost cause now. Until now, they have been fairly successful at keeping people in office when the press picks up on a big error of judgement. I can't remember who, but someone said "If a story won't go away after 7 days, your in trouble" and this seems to be the case that the media are digging their heals in recently.

18. Amp34

Caporegime

Is this a joke? :confused:

19. FirebarUK

Soldato

It was just me getting muddled up. Yet the fact remains true!

20. Amp34

Caporegime

Ah k makes sense then. :D