1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by Richie, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Richie

Sgarrista

The new Android looks set for a May 19th launch at the Google I/O conference for N1 and possibly Motorola Droid.

Had a look at the specs. Doesnt really add anything new, as such, but it tweaks the existing software to make things quicker -

Quite interested in this performance increase it mentions. The Desire already flies with the 1GHz Snapdragon unit. 250% increase sounds ambitious but even with a more conservative 100% increase, the phone will go like a rocket.

Wonder when it will be available for the Desire.

2. deadite66

Wise Guy

shame we won't see official apps2sd and built in wifi tethering.

3. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Android seems to have a few really bizarre omissions. I mean no apps on the SD card? Why on earth is that the case? Ditto wireless tethering, two features that no matter how cruddy my Nokias have been, I simply take for granted :(

4. lixxus

Mobster

hopefully they enable 802.11n on the nexus and desire chipset

5. GeX

Soldato

It's to do with transfering apps from one phone to another I believe. Meant to prevent you from downloading a paid app to the SD card and then copying it to other devices.

The wifi tether, I this could be down the fact that it violates T-Mobiles terms and conditions in the states. With T mobile being a founding memeber of the OHA they probably have some clout with regards to things like this.

6. dante6491

Soldato

My hero can tether :confused: Just press two buttons and it is on. Is it something to do with other phones?

7. Mekrel

Soldato

Does the Desire have the same chipset then, or a chipset capable of 802.11n?

8. "andy"

Capodecina

has anyone actually ran out of space for apps ? they all seem to be tiny in size

9. 413x

Capodecina

If rather they didnt enable n wirelessas it would just drain more power and or wifi at home is only 220KBps max anyway!
    Also, do far I havnt run out of space yet with the apps on the phone, and also dont need tethering

10. deadite66

Wise Guy

yesterday sanmehat (google employee working on android) in the android irc hinted at something coming regarding wifi tethering

11. reflux

Capodecina

I love Android but tbh Flash player is the only worthwhile update they've released since vanilla Android 1.5. And even that's not very useful. Why do they hold back the potential of the phones? Official Apps2SD would be great, but I guess they just want to sell phones with more internal space, e.g. the Evo.

EDIT: OP, can we have some linkage?

Last edited: 25 Apr 2010
  12. GeX

Soldato

ignorance is strong here!

13. Richie

Sgarrista

14. CSlater

Gangster

Re apps2sd: I think it's to encourage developers. If devs are to move away from Apple and code stuff for Android then Google don't want a state where people are buying apps and sharing them. Maybe once the Android market is too much of a cash cow to turn down they'll implement apps2sd. That's my guess anyway.

15. DiG

Wise Guy

Apps2SD hasn't been rules out I don't think? I thought they said they where working on it?

16. deadite66

Wise Guy

17. biron_w

Sgarrista

Surely it's not that hard to make it so any paid apps that are downloaded get locked to your phone?Maybe get locked the IMEI number or something:confused:

18. reflux

Capodecina

Erm, yeah... OK. I've had an HTC Magic (1.5 - 1.6, to Cyan's ROM with 2.0 guts) and currently Nexus (2.1 - stock, Cyan, Emother, and the MoDaCo Desire A21 port).

Really thinking about it, the only impressive things I've seen so far are voice recognition for text messages and GM Navigation. There have been some architectural improvements behind the scenes but I don't feel that enough has really changed overall. I still think the platform needs some more killer features.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2010
  19. griffo_001

Wise Guy

The way Google is looking to do it is locking it to your account, so you can still use them on your new phone, but have to be logged into your account to do so, in a similar way to the way purchased apps from the market are linked to your account. This model is far from perfect, buts its better than linking it to a single phone and not being able to transfer them when you get a new phone IMO

If apps2SD does go ahead I can see a lot of devs switching to the add supported model and distributing the apps free, which is a shame as the dev's loose out on funds and the ad companies make more :(

20. GeX

Soldato

this is the key; there are many things i keep trying to do whilst working on apps for 1.5 that is *so* much easier in 1.6, 2.01. The updates aren't all about adding new features for users to play around with, it's all about the refinement process of the OS.