Android 2.2 (Froyo)

Associate
android going to slow down now after 2.2, google wants to stop the fragmentation so will concentrate on updating apps which is good the email app is poor and market badly needs filters.

Caporegime
The way Google is looking to do it is locking it to your account, so you can still use them on your new phone, but have to be logged into your account to do so, in a similar way to the way purchased apps from the market are linked to your account. This model is far from perfect, buts its better than linking it to a single phone and not being able to transfer them when you get a new phone IMO

If apps2SD does go ahead I can see a lot of devs switching to the add supported model and distributing the apps free, which is a shame as the dev's loose out on funds and the ad companies make more :(

Wait, what?

Does that mean if you buy an app for one android phone and subsequently get a new phone you currently have to buy the same app again to use it on the new one?

One massive step backwards if that's the case and something that would definately keep me with WinMo for the foreseable future.:confused:

Soldato
Wait, what?

Does that mean if you buy an app for one android phone and subsequently get a new phone you currently have to buy the same app again to use it on the new one?

One massive step backwards if that's the case and something that would definately keep me with WinMo for the foreseable future.:confused:

Errrrrrr..... no, he's saying that app purchases are registered to your Google account, which means that you can download and install whatever apps you like on whatever phone you like as long as you're logged in with the correct account.

Associate
Wait, what?

Google Android Market currently remembers your paid-for apps when you sign in, allowing you to download them again onto any phone you are signed in on, for free. If the apps were locked to the IMEI as was suggested you'd be correct, and that would be a huge step backwards.

From what I understand each paid app would be unique and signed to your account, so only your account would be able to use it, similar to music DRM

Caporegime
Errrrrrr..... no, he's saying that app purchases are registered to your Google account, which means that you can download and install whatever apps you like on whatever phone you like as long as you're logged in with the correct account.

Google Android Market currently remembers your paid-for apps when you sign in, allowing you to download them again onto any phone you are signed in on, for free. If the apps were locked to the IMEI as was suggested you'd be correct, and that would be a huge step backwards.

From what I understand each paid app would be unique and signed to your account, so only your account would be able to use it, similar to music DRM

Ahh, ok, it's just you stuck a "would" in there which implies it isn't available yet...

GeX

GeX

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16432218 said:
Dunno, everyone is telling me the Desire wont do it unless you use a cable or some third party app?

that sounds correct afaik. i know the Hero requires a 3rd party application, which is the same as with any blackberry, iphone, winmo phone - only nokia seem to support wifi tether 'out of the box'

Caporegime
that sounds correct afaik. i know the Hero requires a 3rd party application, which is the same as with any blackberry, iphone, winmo phone - only nokia seem to support wifi tether 'out of the box'

Winmo does too. Or least my Omnia did so out of the box.

Associate
[TW]Fox;16432218 said:
Dunno, everyone is telling me the Desire wont do it unless you use a cable or some third party app?

You can tether the desire and N1 by using a third party app and the same program on your computer. You have to connect the two with a USB cable.

You can only get wireless tethering AFAIK by rooting the phone.

Associate
I think you're wrong, it can be done by simply connect it via USB and enabling Mobile Network Sharing can't it?

Well not on my Nexus. I'm assuming the Desire is the same. I'm not saying you're wrong though!

Also, what would the need be for the apps if it could be done natively?

Man of Honour
I have 13MB of Phone storage left for apps, I will free up 20MB uninstalling Google Earth or Navigon.

[TW]Fox;16432218 said:

Why all the fuss over wifi tether? Sure it's not enabled right now but it can be enabled via an app off the Market. Of course the current method requires Root and that is coming soon.

It's not the end of the world, if something doesn't exist on Android, root solves it it.

Soldato
for desire you need to install htc sync, then select internet sharing from the options you get when you connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable.

guess no one read my post last night about tethering, wanted to know if you could remove htc after its installed the required driver and what not or do you have to have it installed to use tethering every time(i.e. is htc needed to be installed just for the drivers or does it have something that is required to have it installed to use tethering)?

I was testing on my dad's netbook so wouldn't be syncing my phone on it, my dad has no use for htc sync so I'll be uninstalling it, so was wondering if I wanted use tethering on it in the future would I have to reinstall htc sync on it.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Well not on my Nexus. I'm assuming the Desire is the same. I'm not saying you're wrong though!

Also, what would the need be for the apps if it could be done natively?

the apps allow it to be done over wifi/bluetooth, it seems part of SenseUI is allowing you to tether via usb without more apps

for desire you need to install htc sync, then select internet sharing from the options you get when you connect the phone to the pc with the usb cable.

guess no one read my post last night about tethering, wanted to know if you could remove htc after its installed the required driver and what not or do you have to have it installed to use tethering every time(i.e. is htc needed to be installed just for the drivers or does it have something that is required to have it installed to use tethering)?

I was testing on my dad's netbook so wouldn't be syncing my phone on it, my dad has no use for htc sync so I'll be uninstalling it, so was wondering if I wanted use tethering on it in the future would I have to reinstall htc sync on it.

it's been a long time since i used it, i dont remember install HTC sync on my laptop when i used USB tethering. It installed a driver for the phone (which i use anyway for dev work) and then it just 'worked'. I remember thinking at the time it seemed a bit odd because there was no net connection shown to the phone from the laptop

Back
Top Bottom